What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Children's novel. Boy is blinded by a bottle rocket or firecracker. He learns to function as a blind person. Read mid-late 1970s?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (last edited May 19, 2020 07:53AM) (new)

Rachel Johnson | 4 comments This book was a children's book I read, probably between '75 and '79. The story was about a boy who went blind when a bottle rocket or some kind of firecracker went off in his face. The rest of the book was about him learning how to function as a blind person. He went to a school for the blind, and learned how to eat and dress himself, and how to travel around on the bus as a blind person. He then returned home, although I do not remember much about the latter part of the book.

message 2: by Kris (last edited May 19, 2020 08:02AM) (new)

Kris | 35166 comments Mod
Rachel, is this fiction or non-fiction? How old is the boy?

Anything else (e.g., how everyone reacted at first to his disability, family & friends, where he lived)?

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Johnson | 4 comments The book is fiction. The boy, I believe, was probably between the ages of 8 -12, although I am not certain about this. The book did not discuss much about his family or friends. I believe he lived with his mother, and she worked, so he was at home alone during the day after he left the school for the blind that he attended.

message 4: by Rachel (last edited May 19, 2020 08:18AM) (new)

Rachel Johnson | 4 comments He learned to eat by being told where the food was on the plate, i.e. 1:00 through 12:00 (the mashed potatoes are at 11;00, the beans are at 3:00, etc.) He also learned to dress by knowing which drawers and where in the drawers his clothes were. They also taught him to travel around by bus, and one part of the book is about an unsuccessful attempt to travel somewhere by bus, where he got lost while walking around on the street. The end of the book is about him being back at home and using his new skills.

message 5: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35166 comments Mod
Thanks. I added plot details to the topic header. Feel free to update it.

message 6: by SamSpayedPI (last edited May 19, 2020 09:52AM) (new)

SamSpayedPI | 2070 comments Follow My Leader. I thought it was funny that the kid's name was "Jimmy Carter."

message 7: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2095 comments SamSpayedPI wrote: "Follow My Leader. I thought it was funny that the kid's name was "Jimmy Carter.""

It's a great book - I read it in 1974 or so.