Aurora University's Phillips Library Online Reading Group discussion

Audiobooks

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bronwen (new)

Bronwen (bronwenjane) | 4 comments Mod
Have you tried any of the audiobook apps offfered by your public library? I have used Hoopla and Libby through the Aurora Public Library and they were both easy to navigate and use. I just finished Born a Slave by Trevor Noah. It was read by the author, and I enjoyed it very much.

message 2: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 2 comments Mod
Thanks for the recommendation, Bronwen! The Aurora Public Library also offers audiobooks through RBdigital, though it's a bit better for backlist titles than new ones, generally. One thing I like about that app is there's no monthly limit, which makes it easier to listen through a series or try something new after you've run out of Hoopla credits (as I usually do).

Right now, I'm listening to Passage, and while Connie Willis is a great novelist, I'd probably suggest To Say Nothing of the Dog or one of her more humorous novellas for more appropriate summer reading/listening. This one's set in winter and deals with some weighty topics, but it's still a fascinating book, particularly if you're interested in NDEs (from a more scientific perspective) or 20th century disasters. The narrator does a pretty good job distinguishing characters and doing both male and female voices, though she occasionally exaggerates her accents a bit. I got this one on Audible, so I'm not sure if it's available on Hoopla or through Overdrive/Libby.

Aurora University's Phillips Library Online...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Passage (other topics)
To Say Nothing of the Dog (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Connie Willis (other topics)