You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

The Fox Hunt: A Memoir of Yemen and My Odyssey to America
This topic is about The Fox Hunt
Buddy Reads > The Fox Hunt - June 1

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anne ✨ (last edited May 19, 2020 08:56AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 602 comments Join us for a June 1st start (or whenever you can join in) of
The Fox Hunt: A Memoir of Yemen and My Odyssey to America

This book fits Twisted Trivia tasks:
Card 7 History Yay - The title contains the word "hunt"
Card 30 Ent Nay - The title contains the word "Fox"

Buddy readers: Katrisa, Anne, Cherie, Jayme

message 2: by Jayme (new)

Jayme | 2392 comments I am planning on joining/reading the book, but not sure when. My library is set to reopen mid-June - so fingers crossed. I can't buy anymore books, or I think my VISA will implode!!!

Cherie (crobins0) | 19985 comments I have the audiobook on hold from my library. The wait time indicates two weeks, so hopefully I will have it by the first of June. I would rather have the ebook, but there are 4 or 5 people in front of me. Hopefully I can manage the buddy read with the audiobook.

The ebook price from Kindle and B&N is @12 dollars but I am trying to limit my new book purchases too.

Katrisa | 2392 comments my library has had this available for a long time, but i just went to borrow it and someone nabbed it! So I'm currently next in line but probably won't be able to start on the 1st. I might be able to get out on scribd when my month resets on the 4th

message 5: by Anne ✨ (last edited May 30, 2020 12:04PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 602 comments Katrisa wrote: "my library has had this available for a long time, but i just went to borrow it and someone nabbed it! So I'm currently next in line but probably won't be able to start on the 1st. I might be able ..."

oh dear, that's murphy's law, isn't it!

The ebook on scribd is available to me even though i'm throttled for other newer books.. Scribd is so odd, though, you just never know how they figure that all out, and it's so different for each person... fingers crossed.

I'm going to start this weekend, but I will be slow because it's ebook and not audio...

Katrisa | 2392 comments well, what do you know? my hold came in today! I'll start it as soon as I finish my current book!

Cherie (crobins0) | 19985 comments I am still waiting for my turn at the audiobook. Hopefully, this week.

Katrisa | 2392 comments Ch 3 (view spoiler)
Ch 4 (view spoiler)
Ch 7 (view spoiler)

message 9: by Cherie (last edited Jun 02, 2020 06:40PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cherie (crobins0) | 19985 comments ha - I downloaded the audiobook just now. I hope it has chapter headings. I tried to get the ebook version, but there are still 23 people on the list ahead of me.

Katrisa | 2392 comments My audio has chapters Cherie

message 11: by Cherie (last edited Jun 03, 2020 02:51PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cherie (crobins0) | 19985 comments I started listening to chapter one last night and promptly fell asleep. I re-listened this morning and got through chapter three. It is hard to say anything right now, but I have to admit that I picked the book for the title without reading much about the content. I am definitely going to listen to more, even though the content makes me slightly anxious.

Update: I decided to read the book preview on GR to see how the text aligned with my audiobook. It did, but for some reason, I could not recall quite a lot of what I was reading. I read the complete text available and then decided to check on the ebook availability from my library. I do not know if others returned their copies early, or what, but I was able to download the ebook copy as well. I will use it to read along while listening to the audiobook. With unfamiliar terms and concepts, I find this best for me. I am definitely up to chapter four now.

message 12: by Cherie (last edited Jun 04, 2020 01:47PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cherie (crobins0) | 19985 comments I finished chapter four and five.
(view spoiler)

message 13: by Cherie (last edited Jun 04, 2020 01:44PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cherie (crobins0) | 19985 comments I agree with you, Katrisa, on your chapter four spoiler. It is really hard to understand, but if you never knew anything different, I can see how it goes on and on. (view spoiler)

Katrisa | 2392 comments Cherie wrote: "I finished chapter four and five.
[spoilers removed]"

Responding to Ch4-5 (view spoiler)

message 15: by Cherie (last edited Jun 05, 2020 01:34PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cherie (crobins0) | 19985 comments I agree with your chapter 7 spoiler, Katrisa. (view spoiler)

I listened to the book last night and this morning. I am somewhere in chapter eleven now. I agree that the romance stuff was giving us a lot of background into the character. These last chapters are getting more into the story of what has led up to the events in chapter one. The background is fascinating and to me, the whole tone of the story has changed. I am amazed he did what he did!

Katrisa | 2392 comments Finished. Man the second half of this book reads like a thriller! (view spoiler)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19985 comments Katrisa wrote: "Finished. Man the second half of this book reads like a thriller! [spoilers removed]"

I am getting confused about all of the different factions. Are they all muslims? I listened some this morning. I am currently at chapter 14. (view spoiler)

Katrisa | 2392 comments Cherie yes the different factions are all Muslim. It's like how Catholics Baptists and Mormons are all under the Christianity umbrella

Cherie (crobins0) | 19985 comments Whew, I have been listening and following along in the text again this morning. I currently at 58% and six pages into chapter seventeen: The Ones Who Said Yes. It is so stressful! (view spoiler)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19985 comments I’m in chapter twenty two. I need a break.
I’m switching over to read my other buddy read book now. It is slightly less harrowing, but in a different way. Death is potentially imminent, but I really don’t know how it is going to end.

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 602 comments I haven't started yet... my weekend ended up being busy and I didn't get any reading in. Hopefully in the next few days I'll find a bit of time... always takes me longer when it's an ebook vs audio too.. or maybe I'll give in and spend a credit on audible.. I'll see how my week goes..

Cherie (crobins0) | 19985 comments I finished listening to the story this morning. (view spoiler)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19985 comments I just read your spoiler in message 16, Katrisa (view spoiler)

message 24: by Cherie (last edited Jun 09, 2020 02:46PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cherie (crobins0) | 19985 comments Chapter 26 (view spoiler)
Chapter 27 (view spoiler)
Epilogue (view spoiler)

Katrisa | 2392 comments Cherie wrote: "I just read your spoiler in message 16, Katrisa [spoilers removed]"

Cherie (view spoiler)

Katrisa | 2392 comments Cherie wrote: "I finished listening to the story this morning. [spoilers removed]"

Ya, I used this book for one of the Popsugar reading challenge for the "involving social media" prompt. It's funny how double-edged our internet world is - it can bring people together who never would have any reason to meet, but also can make us so rude as people can hide behind online identities.

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 602 comments Yay I was able to get audiobook on Scribd, so i've started listening to this one, and I haven't been able to put it down... wow, what a story! I'll add some comments soon...

message 28: by Anne ✨ (last edited Jul 12, 2020 09:15AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 602 comments I finished this book back in June and I realized I completely forgot to come here and chat about it!

Katrisa thanks for recommending this book, I thought it was a great read.

(view spoiler)