Judy Bolton Fans discussion

The Rainbow Riddle
This topic is about The Rainbow Riddle
#17: Rainbow Riddle > Chapter 7: The Rainbow Riddle - Summary

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

William Land (williamland) | 1311 comments Mod
Chapter 7: A Suspected Tragedy

For a moment Judy was stunned. If what she feared was true, it was the end of the world for her. Peter’s words spoken less than an hour ago, echoed in her ears, “till death us do part” It couldn't be parting them so soon. “The plot against your life” she was remembering Roberta’s words. Could it really be true? A crowd was around her now. Judy’s father asked if she was all right. Judy said it was Peter --and Pauline wondered where Roberta was too. Judy pointed to the woods. Horace said it sounded like an explosion. There was a whiff of gunpowder in the air. Now Horace vaulted the fence and headed for the woods. Judy ran after him followed by the bridesmaids. They made a strange procession of rainbow colors against the green grass. They were half way up the hill when they heard Horace give a whoop of joy. “It’s Peter,” he yelled “ he’s got Roberta and both of them are safe.” Judy was far too excited to realize that Roberta no longer had the package. “Peter,” she cried running toward him, Laughing and crying she threw her arms around him, hugging Roberta too. Everyone wanted to know if Roberta was hurt, but she was just frightened. Honey asked what was that deafening noise. Peter confessed that he didn't know and didn't wait to find out, Roberta said she knew. “Do you really know?” Peter asked gently. “Of course I know,” Roberta’s voice was determined, if a little shaky. “It was just a big stone that blew up in the air and fell down the hill on the other side.” Horace concluded that it was the stone quarry, dynamiting again. When asked why she went up there, Roberta said “For flowers. I didn't have a wedding present for Judy . Sometimes there are beautiful flowers in the woods. My father says so,” For the first time Roberta had mentioned her father, but Judy was too concerned for Peter to question the little girl. Then Peter said, “Listen, isn't that our song?” From the house soft strains of music were drifting through the open windows. “Ah, sweet mystery of life, at last I've found you…” Irene’s program! Judy was upset that they were missing the program but Peter said it was only a few minutes past six and added that Grandma Dobbs eyes were still good, she would be able to fix Judy’s veil. Peter made everything seem rosy again. She was thinking that it was odd that an explosion in a distant quarry should make that fearful cloud of yellow smoke. Maybe someone was burning leaves on up there on the hill. Judy was too thankful to have Peter beside her to try to puzzle it out. When they reached the house, Peter pulled Judy down on the step beside him. “Let’s listen to the radio out here. Let’s have this one quiet moment together, “ Peter, we shouldn't--” “Ah, tis love and love alone this world is needing,” Irene’s golden voice sang out, continuing the song Judy and Peter had chosen as their favorite of all love songs. Peter whispered that maybe that was the answer. Judy said that every minute that she was afraid that she lost him, made her love him even more, if possible. If that keeps up, there won't be room in her heart for anyone else. “Your heart is pretty big,” laughed Peter. “ You'll make room whenever someone who needs love comes along. I'm not worried about that,” “What do you mean?” demanded Judy. “Peter, didn't I promise to forsake all others and keep you only onto me? It was in the marriage service” “You're a little mixed up, aren't you? What I'm talking about is friends, relatives, cats, dogs and children. Certainly you intend to keep loving them.” Judy was puzzled. “Do I? But not the way I love you, Peter” “There is a difference”, he said, kissing her to prove it. (I think all this is a prelude to keeping Roberta, does everyone think so? )

The wedding supper turned out to be all that Judy hoped. Grandpa & Grandma Dobbs had not been too upset by the explosion. It seemed that everyone but Judy were ready to forget it. “Maybe I ought to,” Judy thought, “if only I could be sure there wasn’t something in Roberta’s warning. Roberta was being very quiet and barely touched her food. We learn the wedding supper consisted of dainty sandwiches, chicken salad, fruit punch and wedding cake. Judy cut the first piece with a silver knife. She cut right into a favor which was a tiny silver slipper. Mrs. Bolton had misplaced the explanations that came with the favors so no one could tell her what it meant. Judy meant to find out and to find out what Roberta meant by a rainbow ring and about Dale & Irene’s present. There were many things she meant to do, but most of all she meant to make a success out of her married life. Her determination gave her eyes a starry look and Grandpa Dobbs said “I declare, Mother, even you weren’t any prettier on your wedding day, That’s the same veil you wore, by golly!” He had been told about it before but he was getting forgetful. He stumbled around the table to look at it more closely whole Judy closed her hand over the tear hoping he wouldn’t see. “Hiding something?” he demanded. “That’s a fine way to start off your married life, hiding things from folks. Hope you don’t make a habit of it.” “Now Grandpa,” Peter chided, ”You know Judy isn’t like that. She has no secrets from me.” “Nor you from her, I trust?” Judy remembered afterward that Peter had not answered his grandfather and that Roberta had looked at him exactly as if she knew some secret he was keeping. But she was too excited and happy to think of it now.

Supper lasted well into the evening, with much talk and laughter around the table. Judy knew that people wouldn't leave until they had seen her come down the stairs in her traveling clothes, so she excused herself to change. At the foot of the stairs all 7 attendants waited to catch the bouquet. Pauline did. As everyone teased her that she would be the next to marry, she said impossible, she wasn't even in love. Judy asked Pauline and Sylvia to take good care of Roberta. “I'll go with them,” Roberta unexpectedly said, ”You aren't mad at me, are you Judy? I didn't spoil your wedding did I? “No Roberta, you didn't” As Judy went into her room, she wondered how a little girl could be so adorable and so mysterious. Judy changed into a dainty blouse and a new powder blue suit. She realized that she didn't have the faintest idea where they were going on the honeymoon. Peter had forgotten to tell her anything about Mr. Trent’s plans for them. When all the good byes had been said and they again ran through a shower of rice and she was beside Peter in the car, she gave a sigh of contentment. It was not until them that she thought of the package from Dale & Irene. She asked Peter if they should go back and open it “Let it wait. We can see it when we get back from our honeymoon. It’s quite a drive from here to ---” He glanced at the itinerary Mr. Trent had given him, “ Green Gables. That is the name of the place we are going to sparent. It is about 60 miles from north of here. I hope I can find it.” “Oh, Peter! It sounds exciting. It sounds like the kind of place that is utterly irresistible. Peter in spite of the scare I had, I really don’t think we could have had a more perfect wedding day.”

I think Grandpa Dobbs was pretty amazing recognizing the veil his wife wore. I think many men think a white dress is a white dress and they are pretty much the same (in their opinion.) I would imagine a veil is the same too. Grandpa’s words seemed a little harsh to Judy since he likes her so much. We know that from other books. Do Grandpa and grandma Dobbs show up very often after this book?

Judy's intense feelings at wondering if "until death do us part" came only a few short hours after she and Peter were married. Margaret effectively conveys realistic and strong emotions in a few brief words.

I think it is typical of Judy to believe that, despite the fright, she and Peter had a "perfect wedding day."

Grandpa Dobbs's comment to Judy and his wife about the bride being pretty was very sweet. Also, he was harsh when he spoke about keeping secrets and hiding something not being a proper way to being a marriage. Sometimes people can speak more harshly than they intend to; I know I've done this a few times myself.

message 3: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay Stroh | 156 comments Grandpa Dobbs may have sounded harsh, but that may have been because of the strong emotion behind his words. He and his wife must hold deep regrets about forbidding their daughter, Grace, from marrying the man she loved. So their daughter eloped, and those of you familiar with the earlier books know that sad story. So it must give them both great comfort to see their grandson happily married.

Rebekah (rebroxanna) | 709 comments Lindsay wrote: "Grandpa Dobbs may have sounded harsh, but that may have been because of the strong emotion behind his words. He and his wife must hold deep regrets about forbidding their daughter, Grace, from marr..."

Thanks for the reminder. It certainly puts a poignant spin on Grandpa's words of warning.

I haven't read ahead, but it looks like that radio really did explode and Peter and Roberta are keeping it from Judy. That was very wise. I loved the emphasis on Peter and Judy's love for each other.

message 5: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Rogers | 51 comments Bill you’re chapter summaries are so complete that I don’t need to reread the books which are up north. The comments of everyone are very insightful. I’ve been enjoying reading them all.

Lorraine wrote: "Bill you’re chapter summaries are so complete that I don’t need to reread the books which are up north. The comments of everyone are very insightful. I’ve been enjoying reading them all."

Faye K. wrote the summaries, Lorraine. I am merely posting them.

I think Faye did a wonderful job with them for this book. Like Lorraine, I, too, don't feel like I need to read the book to follow along.

Rebekah wrote: "Lindsay wrote: "Grandpa Dobbs may have sounded harsh, but that may have been because of the strong emotion behind his words. He and his wife must hold deep regrets about forbidding their daughter, ..."

I very much like what Lindsay wrote (Message 3) about Grandpa Dobbs's reasons for sounding harsh. Wonderful insight!

message 8: by Faye (new)

Faye Kisker | 680 comments Yes, thanks, Lindsay, for adding that wisdom.
Did any radios blow up in your family, Lindsay?

J. Michael | 130 comments Rebekah wrote: "I haven't read ahead, but it looks like that radio really did explode and Peter and Roberta are keeping it from Judy. That was very wise. I loved the emphasis on Peter and Judy's love for each other."

Yes, and didn't Margaret handle the issue of the radio brilliantly by creating so much confusion that it seemed perfectly natural for Judy to forget to open the package before she and Peter left on their honeymoon? Very, very clever!