What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > YA fantasy main character is a carpenter and born a wizard but is shunned by most of his village for having magic

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Evan (new)

Evan Pham | 1 comments The main character is a carpenter's son and is a carpenter himself. He is born with magic powers, making him a wizard in the fictional world of the book. The town he lives in often shuns him for his magic powers, especially a magician who has magic but was not born with it.
Spoilers: He leaves his town seeking work as a carpenter, and takes a few minor jobs during his travels. He encounters various magical creatures, and helps a few that are cursed to be inhuman by making them human again. He eventually reaches a larger city where his older brother once worked as a carpenter, and I forget if his brother was still there. At some point before reaching the city or while there, he helps teach a few children about carpentry, and uses magic to make wooden carvings move. He has an encounter with trained magicians who dislike him because he was born with magic and they weren't, but they learn to get along better and each learn more about magic from each other. He finds a book on magic, and is interested in meeting the author. Using a spell he learns, he contacts the author of the book, who lives in a far off land. The two converse with letters sent by magic, and he learns the author isn't actually a normal human, but has been changed with magic, though I forget how.

I read this book within the last few years, so mid to late 2010's. It did not seem like a very old book, as there was no sequel when I read it, but it seemed to be the first in a series. I believe it was published in English, although I may be wrong, but I am unsure of the country it was published in. I read it as an ebook I downloaded off of amazon. The entirety of the book was in a fictional world.

If I remember correctly, part of the title was something along the lines of "lord of darkness", but I am not totally sure. The title also did not seem to be related to the book very much at all, as the main character encountered no kind of evil lord and was a kind man who was in no way an evil lord himself.

message 2: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie | 230 comments Possibly one of the books in the The Saga of Recluce series by L.E. Modesitt Jr.?

https://www.goodreads.com/series/41825