The Sword and Laser discussion

Magician: Apprentice (The Riftwar Saga, #1)
This topic is about Magician
Magician: Apprentice > MA: The "Star Wars" crawl

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3911 comments Not gonna front, Magician: Apprentice felt like a 500 page introduction. Making me wonder, what if it were done as a Star Wars crawl, following which we went straight into Magician: Master? Here's mine, feel free to offer yours!

"It was the dawn of a new age of magic. In far-off Crydee benevolent Duke Rodrick the Fourth faces invaders from another realm. The struggle renews bonds between old allies and forces a detente even between enemies as they struggle against the vast strength of the alien horde. Young magician Pug tries and fails to master his wild magic, while his boyhood friend grows strong, possessed by an ancient and cruel power. Meanwhile the invaders take city after city in an invasion that seems unstoppable. For the Kingdom to survive, one must break the unknowable strength of the strangers. But who can save the realm?"

*John Williams music swells*

message 2: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new) - rated it 4 stars

message 3: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tassie Dave | 3509 comments Mod
It works as an intro to the second half. Good work :-)

Trike | 8304 comments Tassie Dave wrote: "Using your text:

https://starwarsintrocreator.kassella..."

Awesome. I’d read that book!

Oh wait, I did.

message 5: by Jan (last edited May 19, 2020 03:27AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jan | 380 comments Very cool! But the Title has to be RIFT WARS of course! I have edited the crawl a bit to make it a bit more Star Warsy (even though I have failed miserably to find a fitting replacement for "A long time ago, in a Galaxy far, far away...."):

https://starwarsintrocreator.kassella...

Hopefully nobody minds!

Lee  (the Book Butcher) (butcherfromgeorgia) love this!!!!!! you guys are amazing! well done everyone involved! I am inspired to finish this book now.

message 7: by Ruth (new) - added it

Ruth | 992 comments Brilliant!

message 8: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3911 comments Tassie DAVE! My face crinkled in ways I've not crinkled in quite some time...

That scroll was made of, well, more win than you can imagine. And I can imagine quite a lot.

Also enjoyed Jan's take, with INVADERS capitalized in 1950s serial style.

Now all we need is a long shot of the underside of a Tsurani warship as it pursues a Kingdom vessel. Tsurani magicians throw energy blasts while the Kingdom ship shields against them. Meanwhile it prepares a dinghy to make a desperate escape.

message 10: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jan wrote: "Very cool! But the Title has to be RIFT WARS of course!"

Cool. I didn't know that part of the title could be edited :-)

Matthew (matthewdl) | 341 comments Awesome!

message 12: by Jan (last edited May 19, 2020 05:29PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jan | 380 comments Yeah, I was quite excited when I realized you could edit that part!

Meanwhile, I have continued to fiddle with the crawl format to make it look some more like the Star Wars crawl (block text etc): https://starwarsintrocreator.kassella...

message 13: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new) - rated it 4 stars

John (Taloni) wrote: "Tassie DAVE! My face crinkled in ways I've not crinkled in quite some time...

That scroll was made of, well, more win than you can imagine. And I can imagine quite a lot.

Also enjoyed Jan's take,..."

None of it works without the fantastic text summary you created.

Mine, and Jan's (not to diminish Jan's great work) addition were just a bit of icing on an already delicious cake :-)

message 14: by Jan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jan | 380 comments Tassie Dave wrote: "None of it works without the fantastic text summary you created.

Mine, and Jan's (not to diminish Jan's great work) addition were just a bit of icing on an already delicious cake :-)"

Totally agree!

message 15: by Mark (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mark (markmtz) | 2296 comments That made reading the book worthwhile. Well done everyone!

Daryl | 88 comments Brilliant!