Historical Fictionistas discussion

Recommendations? > Medusa/Greek Mythology

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ayla (new)

Ayla Leeanne (bookwormmomx3) | 5 comments I’m sure there is a thread in here for this some where but I can’t for the life of me find it ... I would love suggestions !!!

message 2: by V.M. (new)

V.M. Sang (aspholessaria) | 84 comments If you can't find a thread, why n ot start one yourself?

message 3: by Ayla (new)

Ayla Leeanne (bookwormmomx3) | 5 comments I thought I did ?

message 4: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 3617 comments Mod
Ayla wrote: "I thought I did ?"

LOL... I think V.M. was interpreting your post as asking for someone to find the old recs thread for you. (I did a quick search, and I couldn't find one either, so here we are!)

Anyway - Are you looking specifically for Medusa themed books, or open to ANY Greek mythology?

message 5: by Becky, Moddess (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 3617 comments Mod
If the latter, The Song of Troy by Colleen McCullough was really good.
Circe by Madeline Miller was fantastic - especially on audio, and though I haven't yet read it, I'd go out on a limb to say that The Song of Achilles is likely just as good.

message 6: by Ayla (new)

Ayla Leeanne (bookwormmomx3) | 5 comments Oh no lol I was saying I didn’t see one and am up to suggestions of all sorts

message 7: by V.M. (new)

V.M. Sang (aspholessaria) | 84 comments My last post has vanished!
Anyway, there's Mythos: The Greek Myths retold by Stephen Fry. It depends on what you are actually searching for. If you are looking for a 'story' version, more like a novel, then this is probably not for you, but it's a good retelling of the myths as a whole.

message 8: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 617 comments Classics of histfic set in antiquity are the novels of Mary Renault. I haven't read them since I devoured them in my late teens/early twenties--i.e., the 1970s--so I can't say whether they would feel dated now. I recall especially enjoying The King Must Die, which is set in the time when the old goddess-worshipping society was losing ground to the warrior Achaean Greeks. Also the two novels about Alexander the Great were very touching to me in their sympathetic portrayal of lonely childhood and homosexual love.

message 9: by V.M. (new)

V.M. Sang (aspholessaria) | 84 comments Ahm yes, Abigail. I'd quite forgotten them. I, too, loved them, and still remember The King Must Die. Thank you for reminding me of them. I must look them up.

message 10: by Ayla (new)

Ayla Leeanne (bookwormmomx3) | 5 comments Thanks to all 3 of you ladies!!! I appreciate it

message 11: by Jodi (new)

Jodi (molomonkey) | 103 comments Also, check out Helen of Troy by Margaret George. Great book.