Play Book Tag discussion

Mary Poppins (Mary Poppins, #1)
This topic is about Mary Poppins
May 2020: Comedy > [PB]Mary Poppins, by P.L. Travers. 2.5 stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by NancyJ (last edited May 18, 2020 09:30PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5222 comments This is the source material for one of my all time favorite children's films. It has many short chapters and some of them were very likable. Overall though, it just wasn't an enjoyable read. The writing was rather abrupt, and so was Mary Poppins. I kept comparing the chapters in the book to the scenes in the movie, and the movie won every time. It's been fun to picture Julie Andrew and Dick Van Dyke, and to sing the songs in my head.

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments NancyJ wrote: "This is the source material for one of my all time favorite children's films. It has many short chapters and some of them were very likable. Overall though, it just wasn't an enjoyable read. The wr..."

Have you seen Saving Mr. Banks?

message 3: by Book Concierge (last edited May 23, 2020 11:30AM) (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5800 comments I loved the Mary Poppins books when I was a kid. My BFF and I read all of them ... more than once.

But I picked up Mary Poppins Comes Back a few years ago and not so much love from me now.

Definitely see the movie Saving Mr Banks, starring Tom Hanks (as Walt Disney) and Emma Thompson (as P L Travers)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5222 comments Yes, I saw Saving Mr Banks. PL Traver's unpleasant personality in the film seems to be like the Mary Poppins in the book. The music in the original film was wonderful. I have to give credit to Sherman and Sherman, who wrote the songs for the original movie.