Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

2020 Challenge Archive > 2020 June Word Hunt

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19814 comments Monthly Word Hunt
1 - 30 June 2020

This challenge is to see if you can find all the words listed below within your reading for the month. You do not need to preselect a level.

The maximum number of words for each book is THREE. There is no page limit.

0-3 words : better luck next time
3-5 words : warming up
6-8 words : getting hotter
9-10 words : CHAMPION hunter!

June
bleach
choking
eruption
exotic
gang
harvest
hope
laser
painkiller
vessel

Bonus
For our over-achievers who just need some extra words because the above weren't enough...

Unlike with the 10 words above - you must find the EXACT word to claim these bonus words, and I try to make them hard.

ballet
berserk
musty
pickle
vixen

and a bonus bonus
aficionado

To prove that you have found the word, please quote the page, percentage or LOC (Kindle) and include the sentence in which it appears.

Audiobooks are allowed so long as you can quote the page/%/LOC and the sentence. (Eg Using whispersync or finding that sentence in some other way.)

You must find the actual word or the word's root word must be at the core with the meaning essentially remaining the same ~ just turned into a noun, adjective, adverb etc. No prefixes or hyphenated extensions. An extension is allowed where it is often the accepted spelling eg goodbye or good-bye.

Where a word has more than one meaning, either meaning may be used. Eg coast (beachfront) or coast (moving without effort) etc

Please post all entries, updates, final posts and questions in this thread.

RULING for the BONUS words
If you are one of those super-cray-cray/OCD/overly ambitious/organised or bored readers who wish to find words from PRIOR months that are missing in addition to the current month's words, you may use an additional three (3) words per book. These can only be allocated to prior month words.

So you may allocate three words per book to the current month's words, AND three words per book if those words are from PRIOR months' and have been carried forward.

Examples for 'Reversal'
Reverse - Laser Visions √ 15 May
p50-51 : There were a couple of bands Tam had that this person didn't, but none in the reverse.

Reversing - Sunset √ 10 Jul
p204 : Reversing his grip on his katana, he held it out to Nick.

message 2: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19814 comments Example post:(view spoiler)

message 3: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19814 comments Tips for finding words - courtesy of Jennifer ♔Princess Penguin♔

Using Google books:
~Go here https://books.google.com/bkshp?hl=en&...
~Type in the name of your book
~Select your book
~On the left about midway down there will be a search bar, type your word in there.

Couple of things you need to know...
~you need to check every variety of the word you want so, let's say GROUP doesn't show up you would also need to type in GROUPS/ED/ING
~Unfortunately, 99% of the books on Google does not list page numbers (at least in my experience)

Using Amazon:
~You search for your book
~Once on your book page make sure you are on a version that is paperback or hardcover (Kindle editions will not work)
~On the left there will be a picture of your book and it should have "Search Inside" above it
~Click on the book and the search bar will be inside

You will not need to search separately for plurals but you will still need to search separately for -ed and -ing

You can also search for words in all the books loaded on your Kindle.

On the home page, use the 'search' function.
~ type in the word and select 'search my items'.

message 4: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19814 comments Word Hunt
1 - 30 June 2020

0/10 - Found and Read

June
bleach
choking
eruption
exotic
gang
harvest
hope
laser
painkiller
vessel

Bonus
ballet
berserk
musty
pickle
vixen

Bonus Bonus
aficionado

message 5: by Rissa (last edited Jun 29, 2020 11:35AM) (new)

Rissa | 624 comments My spot! :)

JUNE Read 10/10
1. BLEACH - Ask, Answer, Look, Kiss - √ 1 June 2020
loc 1196 - “Hey,”Mateo piped in from across the room, where he cleaned up the blood with some bleach. “Leave him alone. Every chef cuts himself. It’s a badge of honor.”
2. CHOKING - The Gentleman and the Rogue - √ 13 June 2020
p210 - Her thin arms went around his neck and suddenly tightened, nearly choking him.
3. ERUPTION - Bittersweet - √ 18 June 2020
p246 - But this little eruption had been a long time coming.
4. EXOTIC - Mate - √ 5 June 2020
p188 - Ian and Geoffrey trailed behind him like baby ducklings, if ducklings were much larger than him, horny as hell, and smelled amazing—Ian like citrus and summer and the sea; Geoffrey like well-loved books and exotic incense and woodsmoke.
5. GANG - Grown-Up - √ 10 June 2020
loc 293 - The other employees had gathered near the back to eat, but Austin really wasn’t one of the gang.
6. HARVEST - Ask, Answer, Look, Kiss - √ 1 June 2020
loc 819 - They’d be much larger plants in another month, but for now he could harvest a little for the meal he was making for himself and Meg.
7. HOPE - Marc Jillson & The Gazebo - √ 15 June 2020
p192 - I waved my hand around. “There’s certainly room for it. More soon, I hope.”
8. LASER - Bittersweet - √ 18 June 2020
p275 - His laser gaze was doing things to me—filling my belly with nervous butterflies.
9. PAINKILLER - Shield of the Dragon - √ 29 June 2020
loc 944 - And Diamond would get something to help with the pain, though it was always a toss-up whether or not a painkiller would survive his poisonous blood.
10. VESSEL - Of Last Resort - √ 25 June 2020
loc 947 - At the time, Raffé had not understood; he'd simply been glad when they'd returned home, and no one ever made him go aboard a fishing vessel again.

BONUS Read 5/5
1. BALLET - Marc Jillson & The Gazebo - √ 15 June 2020
p65 - “Jason was an international ballet dancer, and now he travels as a trainer. He comes to Pittsburgh twice a year, and I’m realizing that maybe it’s not as over as Uncle Ben claimed. Maybe Jason is why he never dates.”
2. BERSERK - Of Last Resort - √ 25 June 2020
loc 1525 - He had hazy memories of flying and breaking two of his men free—but he also remembered going berserk, sort of, and anything could have happened in the seconds or minutes that had passed.
3. MUSTY - Mate - √ 5 June 2020
p97 - The scent of Geoffrey, rather like oud wood and musty old paper—the kind whose outer edges were lined with gold leaf, and whose pulp was as soft as cotton—flooded his lungs, and before he could help himself, he pushed his nose into the pillow and breathed it in deeper.
4. PICKLE - Grown-Up - √ 10 June 2020
loc 87 - “Sure.”Gopal sat opposite him and placed the dish between them. “Have a pickle. They’re made by some ladies in Pacifica. I’m thinking about switching to them.”
5. VIXEN - Bittersweet - √ 18 June 2020
p289 - She did it again, the little vixen.

BONUS BONUS Read 1/1
1. AFICIONADO - The Gentleman and the Rogue - √ 13 June 2020
p142 - In his younger days, he'd been quite an aficionado of opera but couldn't sing anything from memory, which was probably just as well.

FINISHED!!!!

message 6: by Maritza (last edited Jun 25, 2020 06:46AM) (new)

Maritza (spanishwhispers) | 525 comments Monthly Word Hunt
1 - 30 June 2020

Words Found - 6 of 10 ! 2 of 5 Bonus ! of 1 Bonus Bonus

bleach, The Apartment 06/12 - If I scrubbed myself from head to foot with BLEACH, (90%)
choking, Touched by Lightning 06/14 - washing up her nose, CHOKING her. (90%)
eruption,
exotic, Dead Silence 06/05 - She could try to push the bills for the large EXOTIC animals' protection... (loc 293)
gang, The Apartment 06/12 - Never had a GANG of friends, (31%)
harvest,
hope, Dead Silence 06/05 - Well, I HOPE he's okay. (loc 43)
laser, A Christmas Proposition 06/09 - ...as if attempting to heat it with LASER vision. (78%)
painkiller,
vessel,
Dead Silence by Robin Caroll A Snowbound Scandal by Jessica Lemmon A Christmas Proposition by Jessica Lemmon The Apartment by K.L. Slater Touched by Lightning (Love and Light Book 6) by Tina Wainscott

ballet,
berserk,
musty,
pickle, A Snowbound Scandal 06/07 - There's nothing purer than a PICKLE on a grilled cheese sandwich. (loc 936)
vixen, A Christmas Proposition 06/09 - His sly VIXEN. (53%)

aficionado,

message 7: by Barbara ★ (last edited Jul 03, 2020 08:07PM) (new)

Barbara ★ | 3562 comments June Word Hunt

READ: 13/16

✔ bleach - Down Among the Sticks and Bones - Seanan McGuire 6/4
(dipping myself nightly in bleach), p136

✔ choking - Healer's Choice - Jory Strong 6/5
(managing to suppress choking sobs), p243

✔ eruption - Soul of the Sword - Julie Kagawa 6/22
(was an eruption of smoke), p349

✔ exotic - King of Hearts - Cheyenne McCray 6/7
(into an exotic jungle), p47

✔ gang - Plaid and Plagiarism - Molly MacRae 6/6
(it was a gang), p231

✔ harvest - Healer's Choice - Jory Strong 6/5
(not just to harvest), p117

✔ hope - Down Among the Sticks and Bones - Seanan McGuire 6/4
(hope only got you hurt), p42

✔ laser - King of Hearts - Cheyenne McCray 6/7
(it's like laser beams), p133

✔ painkiller - Healer's Choice - Jory Strong 6/5
(are painkillers being sent), p51

✔ vessel - The Sea of Monsters - Rick Riordan 6/10
(the Coast Guard vessel was definitely on our tail), p90

Bonus
✔ ballet - The Ballerina & the Fighter - Ursula Sinclair 6/27
(a professional ballet school), p14

berserk -
(), p

✔ musty - Boundary Crossed - Melissa F. Olson 6/2
(the musty unwashed smell), loc1358

✔ pickle - Plaid and Plagiarism - Molly MacRae 6/6
(sharing cheese and pickle sandwiches), p78

vixen -
(), p

and a bonus bonus
aficionado

ORPHANS
April
✔ gimmick - Middlegame - Seanan McGuire 6/26
(the whole phone call to the past gimmick), p398

May
✔ hooligan - Stars & Stripes - Abigail Roux 6/9
(that hooligan could be entitled to half of the estate), p217

message 8: by Tammie (last edited Jun 30, 2020 08:05PM) (new)

Tammie | 1634 comments Read: 10/10
Bonus: 5/5
Bonus-Bonus: 1/1
Carry Over: 0/1

6/5 bleach - After Sundown loc 309, Bleach, matches, water, candles...Okay, those were doable, and not even unusual.

6/1 choking - Prince of the Press loc 166, ...fast-before it took root, choking off her ability to reach that space in her mind where she was able to be London...

6/16 eruption - The Jetsetters pg 237, "...can each teach us about what it was like in this place before the eruption that ended human life here."

6/13 exotic - Simply Irresistible Pg 12, She looked more exotic than he'd expected, and he realized it was because her eyes tipped up at the outer corners.

6/5 gang - After Sundown loc 2089, "... A gang will look for isolated people they can overwhelm, not a place where they'll be outnumbered."

6/5 harvest - After Sundown loc 3036, ...at least they would have had the summer to plant and harvest, and they'd be better prepared.

6/1 hope - Prince of the Press loc 166, "To answer your question, I do hope to finish someday, but for now I'm really enjoying the job, and especially the money."

6/1 laser - Prince of the Press loc 282, He focused those laser eyes on her, blue ice that seemed to search inside her skull.

6/3 painkiller - Repeat pg 35, The water and painkillers he sets on the small bedside table, while the mix of peas, corn and beans is gently applied to the side of my face.

6/13 vessel - Simply Irresistible Pg 252, I placed it upon a hook, one used to hold a vessel of wine or milk while it heated, and dipped it into the flames.

Bonus
6/3 ballet - Repeat pg 141, In my ballet flats, jeans and 'Where the Wild Things Are' tee (got it from the shop), I do not compare.

6/19 berserk - Tempting the Deputy pg 31, ... big, buff body made the fireworks in Charlie's core go a little berserk, but everyone else seemed to be...

6/16 musty - The Jetsetters pg 270, He missed his tight little tucked-in bed in his musty, fusty cabin on the cheesy monstrosity that was the Splendido Marveloso.

6/25 pickle - An Affair to Dismember pg 158, "... That was one hairypickle I was in."

6/16 vixen - The Jetsetters pg 283, She made up tidbits she thought would appeal to the producers, creating a sexy vixen who was a bit unstable but had a heart of gold.

Bonus-Bonus
6/13 aficionado - Simply Irresistible Pg 15, The boy next door, not the billionaire BDSM aficionado with the dark past and more emotional scars than she could count.

message 9: by Georgina (last edited Jun 19, 2020 10:21PM) (new)

Georgina Parkin (geosbookblog) | 257 comments Read: 16/16

bleach: LOC 3064 “... his knuckles began to bleach of color.” Beauty Awakened 15/6
choking: LOC 1365 “... guilt a noose around his neck, choking him.” Burning Dawn 16/6
eruption: LOC 3821 “Her voice came out like thick, choking smoke just before a volcanic eruption.” Get a Life, Chloe Brown 11/6
exotic: LOC 4500 “Exotic flowers and flourishing ivy.” Beauty Awakened 15/6
gang: LOC 27890 “... looking prepared for either a gang fight or a dance-off.” Vampire Academy Box Set (Last Sacrifice) 10/6
harvest: LOC 1362 “Come to think of it, with the harvest long over...” The Scot Beds His Wife 20/6
hope: LOC 188 “Heck, he’s my only hope.” Burning Dawn 16/6
laser: LOC 1935 “Red nodded slowly, his gaze focused on her like a laser.” Get a Life, Chloe Brown 11/6
painkiller: LOC 3063 “... since it’s my strongest painkiller...” Get a Life, Chloe Brown 11/6
vessel: LOC 242 “... signaled a welcome in the direction of the approaching vessel.” The Scot Beds His Wife 20/6

ballet: LOC 362 “Dust motes performed a wild ballet around him...” Burning Dawn 16/6
berserk: LOC 25258 “... he was careful not to fall into that berserk rage again.” Vampire Academy Box Set (Last Sacrifice) 10/6
musty: LOC 624 “...down into the dank, musty dungeon.” The Darkest Assassin 17/6
pickle: LOC 1301 “... she hated being squeezed inside like a pickle in a jar...” Beauty Awakened 15/6
vixen: LOC 491 “Except, the little vixen surprised him.” The Darkest Assassin 17/6
aficionado: LOC 1276 “... the envy of every false-lash aficionado...” The Darkest Assassin 17/6

message 10: by Andrea (last edited Jun 27, 2020 02:53AM) (new)

Andrea | 101 comments 8/10 found
3/5 bonus words found

bleach - Natural Disaster - Jun2 - 4*
LOC 866 - ... dye your hair bleach blond?
choking - The Hitman's Guide to Staying Alive Despite Past Mistakes - Jun5 - 2*
LOC 5124 - No, you tried choking me.
eruption - Their Boy - Jun8 - 2*
LOC 3612 - ... seconds away from erupting
exotic - Down Under - Jun12 - 5*
LOC 1254 - Meeting someone from the west is so exotic for us folks...
gang - Pros & Cons of Desire - Jun27 - 3*
LOC 90 - The other assignments had pitted the gang against bad guys
harvest
hope - Slippery Creatures - Jun18 - 5*
LOC 428 - You know I hope you don't mind me saying so...
laser
painkiller - Pros & Cons of Desire - Jun27 - 3*
LOC 2899 - The painkillers had knocked me out pretty quickly...
vessel - Down Under - Jun12 - 5*
LOC 725 - I was going to blow a blood vessel

Bonus
ballet - Aurora Borealis - Jun7 - 5*
LOC 1677 - Some of our friends have their daughters in ballet.
berserk
musty - The Hitman's Guide to Staying Alive Despite Past Mistakes - Jun5 - 2*
LOC 4231 - These sheets smell a little musty.
pickle - The Hitman's Guide to Staying Alive Despite Past Mistakes - Jun5 - 2*
LOC 1919 - I'm here to open pickle jars.
vixen

message 11: by Apoorva (last edited Jun 12, 2020 11:55AM) (new)

Apoorva (bookishcrack) | 430 comments June
Found-10/10

BLEACH- Book: The Score- 06/10
I turn to see a tiny elfin creature sitting at the halfway point in the bleachers. page 105

CHOKING- Book: It Ain't Me, Babe- 06/03
"Choking back a scream that was clawing its way up my throat, I dragged my mauled leg away from the fence toward my goal." page 28

ERUPTION- Book: Release- 06/06
But I was a volcano mid-eruption and poor, sweet Ramsey was in the path of destruction. page 45

EXOTIC- Book: Let's Get Textual- 06/12
This is exotic cuisine page 184

GANG- Book: It Ain't Me, Babe- 06/03
"He didn’t affiliate with any existing gang, mob, or MC" page 226

HARVEST- Book: Dirty Chef- 06/09
And, of course, we celebrated the apple harvest once a year with the rest of the town. page 13

HOPE- Book: The Score- 06/10
Go on a fuck spree and hope I un-imprint? page 81

LASER- Book: Release- 06/06
I couldn’t even get it to read my face with the fancy secret laser thing. I gave up trying pretty quickly. page 120

PAINKILLER- Book: The Guy on the Right- 06/08
"You want a painkiller? page 247

VESSEL-Book: It Ain't Me, Babe- 06/03
"After all, Prophet David was God’s vessel on Earth" page 246

Bonus
Found- 4/5

BALLET- Book: Release- 06/06
I didn’t slow as my ballet flats pounded against the grass through the neighbor’s yard to their house. page 114

BERSERK

MUSTY- Book: The Guy on the Right- 06/08
"I glance around the musty bar." page 323

PICKLE- Book: The Guy on the Right- 06/08
"Intrigued, I follow her into the next aisle as she gazes at the various pickle jars like they have some secret she’s straining to hear. page 49

VIXEN- Book: Your Neighborhood Bartender 06/03
Her wavy chestnut hair, the dusting of freckles across her cheeks and her plump kissable lips tell me screams innocence, but something else tells me that she’s a vixen despite her good girl exterior page 8

Bonus bonus
AFICIONADO

Leftovers
Found- 1/2
April

GIMMICK- Book: Let's Get Textual- 06/12
It took weeks for people to see I was serious about it, that it wasn’t a gimmick. page 116

May
PIGMENT

Books:
It Ain't Me, Babe (Hades Hangmen, #1) by Tillie Cole Your Neighborhood Bartender (The Neighborhood #1) by Tarrah Anders Release by Aly Martinez The Guy on the Right (The Underdogs, #1) by Kate Stewart Dirty Chef by Cara Dee The Score (Off-Campus, #3) by Elle Kennedy Let's Get Textual (Texting, #1) by Teagan Hunter

message 12: by JoAnne (last edited Jun 30, 2020 06:07AM) (new)

JoAnne (joannemwct) | 277 comments Monthly Word Hunt
1 - 30 June 2020

This challenge is to see if you can find all the words listed below within your reading for the month. You do not need to preselect a level.

Read 11 books - Done and orphan words carried over to July!

June - Read 10/10; 4/5 bonus words; 0/1 bonus bonus word

Orphan Words
May - Read 1/1 bonus word; 1/1 bonus bonus word DONE!
April - Read 2/3 bonus words
March - Read 0/2 bonus words
February - Read 1/1 bonus word DONE!

June - Read 10/10
bleach (bleached - Paperback page 1 - Or the time he'd promised her that she looked better as a natural brunette rather than a platinum blonde, but she'd bleached her hair anyway.
Summer at Firefly Beach (Firefly Beach #1) by Jenny Hale 6/10/20 4stars

choking (choked) - Kindle location 1828 - She choked on her words, but she didn't need to finish.
Accidental Baby (Fake Marriage Romance #2) by Ajme Williams 6/6/20 4stars

eruption (erupted) - Paperback page 296 - Seeing someone threaten his brother, he'd erupted.
The Whole Package (Veteran Movers #1) by Marie Harte 6/2/20 4stars

exotic - Kindle location 2587 - ...as though it was the sweetest exotic fruit until her palm cupped his cheek...
The Scoundrel's Bartered Bride by Virginia Heath 6/12/20 4.5stars

gang - Paperback page 28 - As the gang continued to out-flex each other, the mood easy and fun among them, Reid decided to make his presence known.

harvest - Kindle location 451 - Sinclair was home from college, and I dragged her to the Harvest Festival as another way to try and cheer her up.
Accidental Baby (Fake Marriage Romance #2) by Ajme Williams 6/6/20 4stars

hope (hoping) - Paperback page 23 - I'm hoping we can help each other.

laser - Paperback page 262 - But before she could ponder her question, the front door flew open and Ben rushed in, ignoring them all, a laser focus on Hallie.

painkiller(s) - Kindle location 2101 - Painkillers make you fuzzy enough; I would hate to have a concussion or other brain injury on top of that."
Tai Chi and Chai Tea (Auntie Clem's Bakery #11) by P.D. Workman 6/14/20 4stars

vessel - Paperback page 241 - She stepped onto the dock and then over the side of the boat, hanging on to Gavin for support as her weight rocked the vessel slightly.

Bonus - Read 4/5
For our over-achievers who just need some extra words because the above weren't enough...

Unlike with the 10 words above - you must find the EXACT word to claim these bonus words, and I try to make them hard.

ballet - Kindle location 1706 - "In fact, all the girls have done so well, Kelly is thinking about doing some water ballet with them."
A Summer of Surprises (Seashell Cottage) by Judith Keim 6/15/20 5stars

berserk

musty ; Kindle location 1484 - A musty scent, mixed with the smell of cool earth and a faint whiff of mouse droppings filled her nose.
A Cowboy State of Mind (Creedence Horse Rescue #1) by Jennie Marts 6/19/20 4stars

pickle - Kindle location 970 - Gideon bit into a pickle and squinched up his face, but then he chewed with relish.
His Pretend Amish Bride (Unexpected Amish Blessings Book 2) by Rachel J. Good 6/20/20 4stars

vixen - Kindle location 219 - It wasn't as if he wanted the vixen.
The Scoundrel's Bartered Bride by Virginia Heath 6/12/20 4.5stars

and a bonus bonus - Read 0/1
aficionado

May bonus word - Read 1/1 DONE!
valour/valor - Paperback page 193 - "No one's insulting your valor, Erin."
Irish Rose (Irish Hearts #2) by Nora Roberts 6/27/20 4stars

and a bonus bonus Read 1/1
pigment - Paperback page 57 - Geneva's face went ashen, a new color for her normally St. Tropez pigment.
Extreme Risk (X-Treme Love #1) by Kay Manis 6/28/20 3stars

April Orphan Words - Read 2/3 bonus words
gimmick

fin - Kindle location 1479 - She remembered to roll off before she got too shallow and the fin got damaged.
Lucky's Beach by Shelley Noble 6/22/20 4stars

grasshopper - Kindle location 1833 - Pax tells me he's been in love with her since they were barely knee-high to a grasshopper, ...
Cowboy Strong (Longhorn Canyon #7) by Carolyn Brown 6/25/20 4.5stars

March Orphan Words Bonus - Read 0/2

ladybug

primate/s singular or plural

February Orphan words
Bonus - Read 1/1
hives - Paperback page 159 - But this office crap is giving me hives.

message 13: by Sallie(GeorgiaGirl) (last edited May 31, 2020 08:30AM) (new)

Sallie(GeorgiaGirl) (shuga) | 1079 comments Monthly Word Hunt
1 - 30 June 2020

bleach
choking
eruption
exotic
gang
harvest
hope
laser
painkiller
vessel

Bonus
ballet
berserk
musty
pickle
vixen

and a bonus bonus
aficionado

message 14: by Claire (last edited Jul 01, 2020 11:35AM) (new)

Claire (proud-mum) | 84 comments June Word Hunt

1. Bleach The Heart's Invisible Furies by John Boyne The bad bleach job was gone, LOC: 6023 READ:6/5/20
2. Choking The Heart's Invisible Furies by John Boyne , his voice almost chloking in happiness as... LOC: 365 READ:6/5/20
3. eruption
4. exotic
5. Gang The Heart's Invisible Furies by John Boyne He could have a gang of children for all I knew. LOC: 6971 READ:6/5/20
6. harvest
7. Hope The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid Which is why I hope you'll bear with me... LOC: 52 READ:6/14/20
8. laser
9. painkiller
10. Vessel An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir'And I'm commandeering this vessel.' LOC: pg. 167 READ:6/30/20

Bonus

1. ballet
2. berserk
3. musty
4. pickle The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid ...eaten half of a sour pickle, LOC: 3813 READ:6/14/20
5. vixen

Bonus Bonus

1. aficionado

Orphan Words (June)

Bonus

1. Clover
2. Mohawk The Heart's Invisible Furies by John Boyne ...hair was cut into a Mohawk with green frosting at the... LOC: 7635 READ:6/5/20
3. Rambunctious

Bonus Bonus

1. Knotty

Orphan Words (July)

1. Coyotes
2. Viper An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir...her girls. Temper like a viper.' LOC: pg. 98 READ:6/30/20

Bonus

1. Gateway

Orphan Words (August)

1. ration
2. shuttle

Bonus

1. astronaut
2. lunar

Orphan Words (September)

1. hamster

Bonus

1. arcade
2. cuddly
3. elated
4. Reign An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir...against the darkness of Marcus's reign.' LOC: pg. 445 READ:6/30/20

Bonus Bonus

1. vagabond

Orphan Words (October)

1. Kitten The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid ...that contained a brand-new baby kitten. LOC: 767 READ:6/14/20

Bonus

1. Cocoon The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid ...Hollywood started fracturing our newlywed cocoon, I could tell the tide was turning. LOC: 1111 READ:6/14/20
2. Moonbeam

Bonus Bonus

1. Accuracy

Orphan Words - November

1. Coffin The Heart's Invisible Furies by John Boyne ...back from Dubai in a coffin" LOC: 9611 READ:6/5/20
2. cannon
3. Devilish The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid ...she said with devilish glee. LOC: 5156 READ:6/14/20
4. thermometer
5. Turkey The Heart's Invisible Furies by John Boyne ...was ready to carve the turkey. LOC: 9362 READ:6/5/20

Bonus

1. amok
2. anchovies
3. frontier
4. toaster
5. unaccountably

December Orphan Words

1. Boiling An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir...ambushing Helene, sets my blood boiling, and I unleash a vicious offence. LOC: pg. 305 READ:6/30/20
2. chimney
3. chubby
4. sack

Bonus

1. colony
2. communion
3. jingle
4. moose
5. noir

Bonus Bonus

1. executioner

Orphan Words (January)

1. disarm
2. shrewd
3. wax

Bonus

1. cadet
2. idiotic
3. toothpaste
4. vengeful

Bonus Bonus

1. flagrant

Orphan Words (February)

1. barge
2. optimal
3. stew
4. tick
5. website

Bonus

1. amulet
2. chops
3. encyclopedia
4. hives
5. proverb

Bonus Bonus

1. cloistered

Orphan Words (March)

1. alibi
2. cocoon
3. Global Lou in lockdown by Jojo Moyes Treena detailed daily Excel spreadsheets from London comparing daily global death and hospitalisation rates, and pooh-poohing Mum’s Facebook conspiracy theories. LOC: ... READ:6/15/20
4. harness
5. hostage
6. shackle

Bonus

1. paralysis
2. flamingo
3. glacier
4. ladybug
5. primate/s singular or plural

Bonus Bonus

1.delicatessen

Orphan Words (April)

1. believer
2. china
3. muzzle
4. plush

Bonus

1. annihilate
2. gimmick
3. fin
4. grasshopper
5. inspector

Bonus Bonus

1. hogtied

Orphan Words (May)

1. committee
2. flexible
3. hoot
4. peck
5. sand

Bonus

1. charisma
2. heartsick
3. hooligan
4. squawk
5. valour/valor

Bonus Bonus

1. pigment

message 15: by Samantha (last edited Jul 25, 2020 11:48AM) (new)

Samantha Clysdale | 112 comments June

bleach-June.5/2020-Page 22- Or bleach" said Rosa. - The Testaments

choking- June.14/2020,Page.124, Willer,choking, spewed forth with a laugh laced, The Innocent Mage

eruption-July.2/2020, page.31, be it an explosion or an eruption, The Burning Stone

exotic-June.18/2020, Page 9, feasted on a meal far more exotic,The Final Empire

gang-June.19/2020, Page.20, Ulef was a gangly boy., The Final Empire

harvest-June.24/2020, page 67, and that's why the harvest went so much more smoothly this year, American Royals

hope-June.19/2020, page.26, your contract as its last hope?,, The Final Empire

laser-July.21/2020, Page 82, with a laser, The Eighth Wonder of the World: The True Story of André the Giant

painkiller-July.25/2020, Page 14, as if she been given a powerful painkiller, The Hypnotist's Love Story

vessel-July.18/2020-page 9, on a vessel, Family Trust

Moldy Leftovers

March

global-July.20/2020-Page 44, as we live in an increasingly global world., Family Trust

hostage
shackle
zipper

Bonus
paralysis
flamingo
glacier
ladybug
primate/s

Bonus Bonus
delicatessen

April

Muzzle

Snuggle

Upset

message 16: by Maureen (new)

Maureen (ryrou) | 32 comments Monthly Word Hunt
June 1, 2020 - June 30, 2020
0/10

bleach
choking
eruption
exotic
gang
harvest
hope
laser
painkiller
vessel

message 17: by Becky (last edited Jun 29, 2020 06:28PM) (new)

Becky (fibrobabe) | 1398 comments 14/16

bleach Arctic Sun- loc 3780- Sure he was tallish and slim and apparently had dyed his hair for the part, although it was back to a bleach blond now, but he had too many muscles, too much tan, too little depth to his eyes. 6/13-6/15
choking Mating the Omega- page 31- Jason started at them defiantly, but Mac could smell the fear and despair coming off of him, almost choking in its strength. 6/7
eruption The Gentle Art of Swedish Death Cleaning: How to Free Yourself and your Family from a Lifetime of Clutter- loc 91- Floods, volcanic eruptions, earthquakes fires, and wars follow one another. 6/18-6/19
exotic His Alpha's Alpha- page 49- These two had such exotic lives, he couldn't image that they were at all interested in the mundane goings-on of a regular barista. 6/16
gang Ms. Behave- loc 541- "Did this summer, with the gang," she said. 6/9-6/10
harvest Mating the Omega- page 118- I'd planned it for half of the plot to be stuff that produced all year long, like my tomatoes and my peas, and the other half would be things we could harvest quickly, then compost and put back into the soil again, like the lettuce and broccoli. 6/7
hope Mating the Omega- page 29- "I hope so." 6/7
laser Alpha Star- loc 1995- She would've, happily, being not an idiot, but the laser ray punched through the darkness again in a different direction as the Jaxian males wrestled, disorienting her. 6/8-69
painkiller Arctic Sun- loc 1598- "Do you need a painkiller?" 6/13-6/15
vessel Alpha Star- loc 770- A flush of warmth swelled in her, branching out along the tracks of her blood vessels and nerves, and sizzled away her sudden doubts. 6/8-6/9

Bonus

ballet The Gentle Art of Swedish Death Cleaning: How to Free Yourself and your Family from a Lifetime of Clutter- loc 512- I am sure you will gladly sell or give away gear that is more suitable for downhill skiing, ballet, or perhaps scuba diving when you realize you are not likely to use them again. 6/18-6/19
berserk
musty Alpha Star- loc 46- After losing herself in the dusty and musty "treasures" of a long, eventful life -- one that apparently involved a ton of mildly risque commemorative shot glasses? -- the hush of the small-town street was almost jarring. 6/8-6/9
pickle When She Purrs: A Risdaverse Tale- loc 189- It's definitely a pickle. 6/27-6/29
vixen This Fallen Prey- loc 3322- "Vixen then?" 6/11-6/12

Bonus Bonus

aficionado

message 18: by LaurLa (last edited Jun 28, 2020 01:48PM) (new)

LaurLa | 3360 comments June Word Hunt
June 2020

My Word Hunt (msg 19)

10 of 10 Words Found
6 of 6 Bonus Words
8 of 8 Books Read

June Words

Wild Montana Sky (Montana Sky, #1) by Debra Holland Bound in Death (Bound, #5) by Cynthia Eden About That Kiss (Heartbreaker Bay, #5) by Jill Shalvis Better Homes and Hauntings by Molly Harper A Royal Pain (Unruly Royals, #1) by Megan Mulry

bleach
🍬the moon’s glow bleached the familiar view into silvery shadows. [loc: 336.9]
🍬Wild Montana Sky ~ 06.04 ★★★

choking
🍬He coughed, choking, [loc: 242.6]
🍬Bound in Death ~ 06.05 ★★★

eruption
🍬This had them erupting in squeals of delight [loc: 376.2]
🍬About That Kiss ~ 06.21 ★★★★

exotic
🍬research the potential medicinal properties of exotic monkey orchids. [loc: 47.9]
🍬Better Homes and Hauntings ~ 06.10 ★★★★

gang
🍬They were a gang, of sorts. [loc: 60.0]

harvest
🍬he named her business after the goddess of the harvest. [loc: 70.5]

hope
🍬Sudden hope lifted her gray spirits. [loc: 79.2]
🍬Wild Montana Sky ~ 06.04 ★★★

laser
🍬Also, I may or may not have instituted Laser Tag Fridays. [loc: 293.3]

painkiller
🍬get the water and painkiller on your own, [loc: 374.5]
🍬A Royal Pain ~ 06.27 ★★★★

vessel
🍬still staining the floor of the vessel. [loc: 117.2]

Bonus/Bonus Bonus Words

A Royal Pain (Unruly Royals, #1) by Megan Mulry Gone Tropical by Robena Grant Bound by Deception (Bound By, #3; Red-Hot SEALs, #3.5; Inheritance, #10) by Trish McCallan About That Kiss (Heartbreaker Bay, #5) by Jill Shalvis Stardust (Peaches Monroe, #1) by Mimi Strong

ballet
🍬take me to the ballet or the theater. [loc: 417.2]

berserk
🍬My mother’s going to go berserk; [loc: 277.8]

musty
🍬It smelled like Jake, earthy, musty, and rugged. [loc: 109.4]
🍬Gone Tropical ~ 06.26 ★★★

pickle
🍬you wouldn’t be in this current pickle. [loc: 227.4]
🍬Bound by Deception ~ 06.19 ★★★

vixen
🍬a light-brown-eyed vixen he couldn’t get out of his head. [loc: 163.4]
🍬About That Kiss ~ 06.21 ★★★★

aficionado
🍬I was no wine aficionado, [loc: 419.2]
🍬Stardust ~ 06.28 ★★★

message 19: by Suzanne (last edited Jun 02, 2020 11:41AM) (new)

Suzanne (esmerelda1) | 2052 comments Romance Readers Reading Challenges
2020 June Word Hunt
Duration:
1 - 30 June 2020

Progress: 2 out of 16

June
bleach
choking
eruption
exotic
gang

Harvest: "It’s an opportunity to harvest the rich information embedded in your lived experience and use it to fertilize your future." Page 133
The Bullet Journal Method: Track the Past, Order the Present, Design the Future by Ryder Carroll - ***** - 6/1/2020 - 336 Pages
Hope: "This made the system significantly easier to explain—and, I hoped, to learn." Page 6
The Bullet Journal Method: Track the Past, Order the Present, Design the Future by Ryder Carroll - ***** - 6/1/2020 - 336 Pages

laser
painkiller
vessel

Bonus

ballet
berserk
musty
pickle
vixen

and a bonus bonus
aficionado

The Bullet Journal Method Track the Past, Order the Present, Design the Future by Ryder Carroll

message 20: by Wealie (last edited Jun 21, 2020 06:11AM) (new)

Wealie | 375 comments June 2020 - Word Hunt
Books Read: 8

Single words
Found: 10/10

01. Bleach - Mark of the Demon – 11/06 – 4 🌟🌟🌟🌟 – Page 77: “So instead of the vague odor of rotted flesh and formalin, it had the often-overpowering aroma of Pine-Sol and bleach and any other industrial-strength cleaner Carl could dig up .”

02. Choking - Man Card – Read: 03/06– 4 🌟🌟🌟🌟 – Page 52: “I hear a choking sound from the bathroom.”

03. Eruption - A Court of Wings and Ruin – Read: 18/06 – 5 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 – Loc. 5258: “He drew his sword – then Rhys was arrowing for them, his power like a gods-damned volcanic eruption.”

04. Exotic - Man Card – Read: 03/06– 4 🌟🌟🌟🌟 – Page 120: “And once you go gray there’s no hope and I need to leave my hustband, but I don’t want to die with my girls probably off to Europe or somewhere exotic like Cincinnati and I’ll be all alone, dying, in a studio apartment with nothing but canned peaches and gray pubic hair.”

05. Gang - Soldier Snow Leopard – Read: 10/06 – 4 🌟🌟🌟🌟 – Page 18: “The month before, she’d been kidnapped and held at gun point by a gang.”

06. Harvest - A Court of Wings and Ruin – Read: 18/06 – 5 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 – Loc. 645: “Then began an endless string of prayers and rituals, her prettiest young acolytes assisting with the pouring of sacred wine, with the blessing of theharvest goods on the altar, with beseeching the sun to rise.”

07. Hope - Tall, Tatted and Tempting– Read: 02/06– 3 🌟🌟🌟 – Page 3 “I hope Paul did some laundry this morning.”

08. Laser - Man Card – Read: 03/06– 4 🌟🌟🌟🌟 – Page 45: “I can’t even explain this to poor Braht, who’s getting all their laser-like attention, because I do not talk about Dwight .”

09. Painkiller - Soldier Snow Leopard – Read: 10/06 – 4 🌟🌟🌟🌟 – Page 106: “If you wake up in the night and need anything – another shot of painkiller, some water – or if you want me to hold you – just say my name.”

10. Vessel - Desire and the Deep Blue Sea – Read: 07/06 – 3 🌟🌟🌟 – Page 19: “In the midst of such intense concentration, though, he hadn’t noticed the rather large swell approaching the small vessel or braced himself for the impact.”

Bonus words
Found: 5/5

01. Ballet - Jaguar Hunt – Read: 01/06– 4 🌟🌟🌟🌟 – Page 2: “Tights, sparkly tops, and ballet slippers that looked less like club clothes and more like what a Las Vegas entertainer would wear.”

02. Berserk - Soldier Snow Leopard – Read: 10/06 – 4 🌟🌟🌟🌟 – Page 152: “Shane went berserk when they came for me.”

03. Musty - Jaguar Hunt – Read: 01/06– 4 🌟🌟🌟🌟 – Page 260: “Randy eyed his messy office with papers scattered everywhere – floor, table, desk, an old musty–smelling tweed couch, and shelves .”

04. Pickle - Dirty Letters – Read: 20/06 – 4 🌟🌟🌟🌟 – Page 242: Man, was I shitting a pickle.”

05. Vixen - Jaguar Hunt – Read: 01/06– 4 🌟🌟🌟🌟 – Page 172: “She smiled. The vixen.”

Bonus, bonus words
Found: 1/1

01. Aficionado - Dirty Letters – Read: 20/06 – 4 🌟🌟🌟🌟 – Page 105: “I’m not really a wine aficionado, so I doubt I’d be able to tell one year from the next.”

Carried over from May 2020
Found: 0/1

01. Hooligan

Carried over from April 2020
Found: 0/1

01. Gimmick

Book Covers
Jaguar Hunt (Heart of the Jaguar, #3) by Terry Spear Tall, Tatted and Tempting (The Reed Brothers, #1) by Tammy Falkner Man Card (Man Hands, #2) by Sarina Bowen Desire and the Deep Blue Sea (Love Unscripted, #1) by Olivia Dade Soldier Snow Leopard (Protection, Inc., #6) by Zoe Chant Mark of the Demon (Kara Gillian, #1) by Diana Rowland A Court of Wings and Ruin (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #3) by Sarah J. Maas Dirty Letters by Vi Keeland

message 21: by Chan (last edited Sep 11, 2020 07:45PM) (new)

Chan | 3483 comments June Word Hunt

June
bleach - Love in Catalina Cove | June 8
Ch 39 79%: They climbed the bleachers

choking - Understood | June 7
Page 53: She still fought a choking panic

eruption - Understood | June 7
Page 36: And he finally erupted

exotic - Tangled Extra Scenes | June 10
Honeymoons over page 1: exotic fish caught in a net

gang - Understood | June 7
Page 15: Did you go hunting with the gang this weekend

harvest - Love in Catalina Cove | June 8
Page 585: It had taken a full week of long harvesting hours

hope - Love in Tune | June 7
Page 1: Hoping against hope

laser - Seduction in Death | June 5
CH3 13%: Why did he just blast her brains out with a laser?

painkiller - From Lukov with Love | June 8
Page 325: Did you give her a painkiller already

vessel - Love in Catalina Cove | June 8
Page 423: No other vessels around

Bonus
ballet - Seduction in Death | June 5
Ch 15 67%: Digs opera, ballet, poetry.

berserk

musty - Shadow Woman | June 23
Page 270: the room was musty smelling

pickle - The Fellowship of the Ring | June 8
Page 299: A nice pickle we have landed

vixen - Blindfolded Innocence | June 24
Page 290: You're a vixen now

ROLLOVERS
April Bonus
devotee

July Bonus
assiduously

August Bonus
crater - Winters Heat | May 13
Page 8: faded parking space lines and crater like potholes

Oct Bonus
moonbeam - The Fellowship of the Ring | June 8
Page 215: Grasped at moonbeams glistening

Nov bonus
anchovies

Dec Bonus
communion

Jan Bonus
cadet

Feb Bonus
amulet

March Bonus
paralysis - Understood | June 7
Page 57: His voice shook her from the paralysis that had taken over her

flamingo - Winter in Paradise | June 22
Page 277: the pink flamingos

glacier - From Lukov with Love | June 8
Page 39: Those glacier like eyes

ladybug
primate(s)

April Bonus
gimmick - Let's Get Textual | June 25
Page 130: it wasn't a gimmick

May Reg
flexible - Secrets of a Side Bitch | June 7
Page 100: but the hours were flexible

May Bonus
charisma - Dragon Bound | May 30
Page 25: He had the charisma and style for it

heartsick - Winters Heat | May 13
Page 194: She'd been heartsick but tearless

hooligan

squawk- From Lukov with Love | June 8
Page 74: Ignoring my squawk as she did it

valour/valor- The Fellowship of the Ring | June 8
Page 295: Valour needs first strength

Understood (Unspoken, #1) by Maya Banks Love in Tune (Brew Ha Ha, #2.5) by Bria Quinlan Tangled Extra Scenes (Tangled, #1.1) by Emma Chase Winters Heat (Titan, #1) by Cristin Harber Dragon Bound (Elder Races, #1) by Thea Harrison Seduction in Death (In Death, #13) by J.D. Robb Secrets of a Side Bitch by Jessica N. Watkins Love in Catalina Cove (Catalina Cove #1) by Brenda Jackson From Lukov with Love by Mariana Zapata The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #1) by J.R.R. Tolkien Winter in Paradise (Paradise, #1) by Elin Hilderbrand Shadow Woman by Linda Howard Blindfolded Innocence (Innocence, #1) by Alessandra Torre Let's Get Textual (Texting, #1) by Teagan Hunter

message 22: by Shelley (last edited Jun 24, 2020 12:00AM) (new)

Shelley | 137 comments Monthly Word Hunt
June 1-30, 2020

✔0-3 words : better luck next time
✔3-5 words : warming up
✔6-8 words : getting hotter

7/10

bleach The Third to Die - "He cleaned up well, and he poured bleach down the drain." pg 293
choking Hindsight - "Kendra heard what sounded like a choking sound, then a man's scream" - pg 130
eruption
exotic Hindsight - ". . . she was lithe and gracefully strong, and yet appeared oddly exotic as she lifted her cup to her lips." - pg 142
gang The Third to Die - "But most of the kids she encountered were in gangs , running drugs, abused, in the system." - pg 452
harvest
hope The Third to Die - "' Hope I didn't startle you,' Matt said." - pg 38
laser
painkiller - Filthy Rich: A Powerful Billionaire, the Sex Scandal that Undid Him, and All the Justice that Money Can Buy: The Shocking True Story of Jeffrey Epstein " . . . has a history of illegal drug use (pot, painkillers, Xanax, Ecstasy)" - pg 276
vessel - Pretty Things - " . . . left him rattling loose inside this strange, oversized, vessel ." - pg 160

The Third to Die by Allison Brennan Hindsight (Kendra Michaels, #7) by Iris Johansen Filthy Rich A Powerful Billionaire, the Sex Scandal that Undid Him, and All the Justice that Money Can Buy The Shocking True Story of Jeffrey Epstein by James Patterson Pretty Things by Janelle Brown

Bonus:: You must find the EXACT word
2/5

ballet - Filthy Rich: A Powerful Billionaire, the Sex Scandal that Undid Him, and All the Justice that Money Can Buy: The Shocking True Story of Jeffrey Epstein - "Mr. Epstein had donated over $100,000 to the Ballet of Florida for massages." - pg 168
berserk
musty Hindsight - "Kendra threw open the door, and they ran through the musty lobby." - pg 252
pickle
vixen

Filthy Rich A Powerful Billionaire, the Sex Scandal that Undid Him, and All the Justice that Money Can Buy The Shocking True Story of Jeffrey Epstein by James Patterson Hindsight (Kendra Michaels, #7) by Iris Johansen

Bonus Bonus :
aficionado

message 23: by MyzanM (last edited Jul 04, 2020 08:11AM) (new)

MyzanM | 317 comments Word Hunt
1 - 30 June 2020

10/10 - Found
4/5 Bonus
0/1 Bonus Bonus
1/ 5 Orphan Words
Books used:
Hell on Wheels (Bluewater Bay #3) by Z.A. Maxfield The Hardest Thing (Dan Stagg Mystery, #1) by James Lear Taming Teddy (Made Marian, #2) by Lucy Lennox Dragon's Heat (City Dragons, #1) by Lisa Oliver Wild Trail (Clean Slate Ranch #1) by A.M. Arthur The Necromancer's Smile (The Necromancer's Smile #1) by Lisa Oliver

bleach - The Hardest Thing, 6/3 - "And maybe, when the bleach grew out and his body hair came back..." at 25%
choking - The Hardest Thing, 6/3 - "Hank rocked his buddy's shoulder - probably not the best thing to do to a man in danger of choking on his own vomit, but he meant well." at 51%
eruption - Dragon's Heat, 6/8 "Dirk slapped his hand over his mouth as an inhuman growl erupted" at 35%
exotic - Dragon's Heat, 6/8 "His German Shepherd, or Alsatian, depending on where you were from, was respectable enough among other dog packs, but not considered highly by the more exotic shifters." at 4%
gang - Wild Trail, 6/11 - "A gang symbol that had haunted him for years, especially once he'd realized that life only led to violence and death." at 44%
harvest - Unraveling the Omega, 6/10 - "The second harvest is never as good as the summer harvest, but dang, they are still yummy." at 78%
hope - Hell on Wheels, 6/2 - "I hope you're giving a great deal of thought to the proposition I put before you." at 24%
laser - - Taming Teddy, 6/4 - "I couldn't help but laser-focus out the window, looking for other treasures as we drove along." at 20%
painkiller - Taming Teddy, 6/4 - "Jamie pointed me toward painkillersand ice packs." at 21%
vessel - Hell on Wheels, 6/2 - "Hell no. He'd burst a blood vessel. But he needs looking out for -- you have no idea." at 27%

Bonus (exact):
ballet
- The Hardest Thing, 6/3 - "Enough. I grabbed his wrist, spun him around on his feet like a ballet dancer, and pushed his arm so far up his back it was just half an inch away from dislocating his shoulder." at 3%
berserk -
musty - The Necromancer's Smile, 6/15 "Sure, he might have had stray thoughts about the detective since they left the morgue, but burying his head in musty volumes had a way of suppressing any desires he might have had in that quarter."
pickle - Wild Trail, 6/11 - "Then he spotted the dill pickle in his hand." at 22%
vixen - Hell on Wheels, 6/2 - "You vixen, you." The host smiled at her as she preened for the studio audience." at 24%

Bonus Bonus
aficionado
-

Orphan words:

March Bonus Bonus:
delicatessen - Dragon's Heat, 6/8 "Finding the fixings for a simple sandwich wasn't easy when the inside of Dirk's fridge resembled a delicatessen." at 81%

April Bonus:
annihilate -

April Bonus Bonus:
hogtied

May bonus:
heartsick -

May bonus bonus
pigment -

message 24: by Georgina (new)

Georgina Parkin (geosbookblog) | 257 comments Finished on post #9

message 25: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19814 comments Congrats Georgina!!

message 26: by LaurLa (new)

LaurLa | 3360 comments All done!!
Updated post: My Word Hunt (msg 19)

10 of 10 Words Found
6 of 6 Bonus Words
8 of 8 Books Read

message 27: by Rissa (new)

Rissa | 624 comments Woohoo, finished! See message 5!

Till July (lol, one more day)!

Thanks Jane for another fun, challenging challenge!

message 28: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19814 comments Congrats LaurLa and Rissa!!

message 29: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 176 comments June 2020
7/10 Words
4/5 Bonus

City of Stairs (The Divine Cities, #1) by Robert Jackson Bennett Georgia Bottoms by Mark Childress I Remember Nothing and Other Reflections by Nora Ephron Gaslight Grimoire Fantastic Tales of Sherlock Holmes by Charles Prepolec Minutes of Glory by Ngũgĩ wa Thiong'o The Locusts Have No King by Dawn Powell Carrie Fisher A Life on the Edge by Sheila Weller

bleach
Gaslight Grimoire: Fantastic Tales of Sherlock Holmes: p. 242: “He was clean scrubbed, for all that he smelled like bleach and lye, but I could not escape the impression that he was less than entirely healthy.”

choking
Minutes of Glory: p. 13: “It was all real, this Thing. It was choking her; it would kill her.”

eruption
Gaslight Grimoire: Fantastic Tales of Sherlock Holmes: p. 128: “A bank of swirling grasses, twelve feet high, parted and exploded outward with an eruption of the thundering brontotherium and her galloping calf.”

exotic
Georgia Bottoms: p. 129: “That ring stirred Georgia’s longing to discover the place for real and not just from movies and books, to breathe the exotic smells and absorb the thump of music on the air.”

gang
Georgia Bottoms: p. 143: “The others laughed like a gang of frat boys.”

harvest

hope
I Remember Nothing: and Other Reflections: p. 96: “I just hope someone listens to me.”

laser

painkiller

vessel
City of Stairs: p. 445: “Shara’s cabin is as spacious as the merchant’s vessel could allow, and she has promised a worthy fee from the Ministry when she finally returns to Ghaladesh.”

Bonus

ballet
The Locusts Have No King: p. 2: “Her long feet in ballet slippers hooked over the rungs of the bar stool.”

berserk
Georgia Bottoms: p. 30: “A bad message could get them dashing around in a panic, tiny mobs going beserk .”

musty
The Locusts Have No King: p. 168: “….the long narrow room in candle light with the giant furniture and fluttering draperies seemed a vault for musty treasures and guests from beyond.”

pickle
Gaslight Grimoire: Fantastic Tales of Sherlock Holmes: p. 167: “….and for just a moment his expression resembled that of a man who had unexpectedly bitten into a hot pickle , though he quickly recovered himself.”

vixen

and a bonus bonus
aficionado
Carrie Fisher: A Life on the Edge: p. 5: “She became such a glitter aficionado that she had special glitter-holding pockets sewn into her coat.”

March 2020

paralysis
City of Stairs: p. 280“Either way, the Divine creatures were strongly repelled by these elements: they caused asphyxiation, burning rashes, paralysis , even death…..”

delicatessen
I Remember Nothing: and Other Reflections: p. 86: “I am sitting in P. J. Bernstein’s Delicatessen , a place I visit about once a month.”

May 2020

flexible
City of Stairs: p. 339: “Shara has always felt that certain worldviews are more flexible than others; some are myopic and strict, while others are quite broad, with permeable borders and edges, ideas and events floating through without any resistance.”

charisma
Carrie Fisher: A Life on the Edge: p. 40: “’Carrie was charisma personified – always the center of attention,’ says Nancie Lewis Levey, who was on the painful outer edge of Carrie’s school clique.”

message 30: by JoAnne (new)

JoAnne (joannemwct) | 277 comments Finished on post #12. On to July!