Weird Fiction discussion

Into Bones like Oil
This topic is about Into Bones like Oil
Buddy Reads > Buddy Read for Kaaron Warren's Latest Book

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dan (last edited May 18, 2020 07:31PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dan | 849 comments Many of us have completed this month's read already. There was a lot of white space between them there chapters of To the Dust Returned.

In thirteen days we begin June's read. But that's thirteen days away. There's a new novella out by my favorite, living, producing, Australian horror writer, Kaaron Warren. She's not widely recognized as such, but there is a strong undercurrent of fantasy and serious endeavor in her writing that I think brings her into the modern Weird camp. Maybe you will agree.

She recently finished a 90-page novella I thought would make a perfect buddy read for the thirteen days of May 19 - May 31. It's titled Into Bones like Oil and costs only $1.99 for an electronic copy. I must warn you, she's a somewhat polarizing writer: you either hate her work or love it; there's no in-between. She writes well, has wonderful imagination, but sometimes it's hard to figure out what she's getting at. Like many writers of modern Weird.

If you're interested in getting in on this buddy read, please join us and see if Kaaron Warren's fiction is for you. It just costs $1.99 and a 90-page reading investment to find out. Here's the author's website if you're curious: https://kaaronwarren.wordpress.com/

Cheers!

message 2: by Scott (new) - added it

Scott I might give this a shot. I had mixed feelings about the collection I read recently, but I have loved her novels in the past.

Catherine McCarthy | 28 comments 40% through this and really enjoying it so far.

message 4: by Dan (last edited May 25, 2020 05:33PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dan | 849 comments I'm 40% of the way and don't know what's going on. Guess I better reread. It's funny; my Kindle says the average reader needs less than two hours to read this. I'll probably take at least three times that, if I'm lucky.

Catherine McCarthy | 28 comments Yes, I read it in two sessions. I re-read the ending in case I'd missed something, since other reviews had praised the ending. For me, it was the weakest part.

message 6: by Dan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dan | 849 comments Warren's story is okay, but I hoped for more. My review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Catherine McCarthy | 28 comments I agree with you about the end, Dan. As I said, I read the ending twice in case I missed something, but no. however, I loved the whole atmosphere. Perhaps I've stayed in too many weird B&B's in the past and could connect.

message 8: by Dan (last edited May 27, 2020 07:01AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dan | 849 comments Hi Catherine. I liked the description of the hotel too, the strange room that was converted from an entrance somehow, the shared bathrooms, communal lifestyle. It reminded me somewhat of places I stayed in continental Europe when journeying through in my twenties on a tight budget when I cared less about amenities.

I think if I were Kaaron Warren's editor and this manuscript landed on my desk, I would write her: "What a wonderful start. Now how are you planning to bring it to a conclusion?" She might write back, "You read it, didn't you? That's my ending." To which I'd reply, "Hmm, other readers than me might not find that quite satisfying either. To bring this to a proper conclusion, we would like to know primarily (view spoiler)

Catherine McCarthy | 28 comments It seems you were left with more questions than answers, then. And yes, none of those were answered. I don't mind not having everything revealed. I quite like having to use my own imagination at times, but you are right, it did leave too many unanswered questions.