What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Maniac Magee
This topic is about Maniac Magee
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Fiction book about a stranger coming into town and slowly untangling a large knot that is hanging in the town center. [s]

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joanna (new)

Joanna | 3 comments I am looking for a book I read around 30 years ago (probably 1985-1990) that is about a town that has a huge knot full of rope and string that no one had been able to untangle. A stranger comes into town that people didn’t accept at first and he started to spend day and night slowly undoing the knots until it was fully untangled. I believe that eventually the town started to accept him and bring him food and cheer him on.

message 3: by Joanna (new)

Joanna | 3 comments Rosa wrote: "Maniac Magee?"

Thank you, I will check into that!

message 4: by Kris (last edited May 19, 2020 01:08PM) (new)

Kris | 34460 comments Mod
Here are two Google Book previews of Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli - Rosa's suggestion:

- https://books.google.com/books?id=pEW...
- https://books.google.com/books?id=HiN...

There are different cover images.

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5113 comments Actually, I don't think it's Maniac. But maybe.

Tammy (54viruses) | 16 comments In Maniac Magee, the prize for untangling the knot is a lifetime supply of pizza, but the kid doesn't like pizza so he gives it to his friends.

There was also a scene I found memorable in which he's walking down the middle of a street after basically everyone gets mad at him, but they won't approach him because the street separates the 'black' side of town from the 'white' side of town.

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5113 comments Joanna?

message 8: by Joanna (new)

Joanna | 3 comments Thanks all for your help!! It was Maniac Magee! 👏🏼👏🏼

message 9: by Kris (last edited Jul 22, 2020 09:23AM) (new)

Kris | 34460 comments Mod
Great. Glad you found your book, Joanna. Thanks for the update.

(keyword: Gordian knot)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Maniac Magee (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Jerry Spinelli (other topics)