Play Book Tag discussion

Erotic Stories for Punjabi Widows
This topic is about Erotic Stories for Punjabi Widows
May 2020: Comedy > (Poll Ballot Tally) Erotic Stories for Punjabi Widows by Balli Kaur Jaswal - 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

annapi | 5068 comments Nikki is the daughter if Indian immigrants to Britain. Unable to decide what to do with her life and at odds with her mother who disapproves of her current life choices, she answers an ad for a teacher of creative writing at a local Sikh temple. But due to a miscommunication, she finds that she is expected to teach English to semi-literate widows.

I absolutely loved this book! It was charming, it was very informative of British-Indian and Indian culture, it was humorous, poignant, and there was a mystery to boot - hit all my buttons, and I couldn't put it down, finished it in a day. And the erotic stories were a hoot! Okay, it was a stretch of the imagination that those semi-literate women could write as well as they did, but that's easy to overlook. I loved the characters, the character development, the plot, the satisfying ending, and enthusiastically give this 5 stars. Highly recommended!

Booknblues | 6181 comments Wow! Anna, you put the pedal to the metal and blew right through it. I am enjoying it at a more leisurely pace.

I will note that I will never look at an eggplant (aubergine) the same way.

message 3: by annapi (last edited May 18, 2020 06:23PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

annapi | 5068 comments Booknblues wrote: "...I will note that I will never look at an eggplant (aubergine) the same way."

ROFL!!! Or just about any vegetable, such as cucumbers and bananas or sweet potatoes!

And if I ever see an older Indian woman in traditional garb, I will always wonder...!

Theresa | 7395 comments Have any of you read The Persian Letters by Montesquieu. Had to read it in French in college. After reading the letters addressing the naughty ladies in the harem's use of whole cucumbers leading the eunuchs guarding and attending them to have to serve cucumbers sliced only, I have never been able to look at a cucumber without snickering.

annapi | 5068 comments Never heard of it, Theresa, I will have to look for it!

Booknblues | 6181 comments annapi wrote: "Booknblues wrote: "...I will note that I will never look at an eggplant (aubergine) the same way."

ROFL!!! Or just about any vegetable, such as cucumbers and bananas or sweet potatoes!

And if I e..."

Full disclosure, I work with a woman who is a true Punjabi widow.

Or any widow for that matter. Should I begin to doubt my mother's interior life?

I am loving how these women are finally being given a voice.

Booknblues | 6181 comments Theresa wrote: "Have any of you read The Persian Letters by Montesquieu. Had to read it in French in college. After reading the letters addressing the naughty ladies in the harem's u..."

Isn't there some movie with a cucumber scene in a grocery store?

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5999 comments I loved all the references to various vegetables!

I think there was reference to a zucchini in Under the Tuscan Sun ... don't remember if it was the movie or the book, though.

Booknblues | 6181 comments Book Concierge wrote: "I loved all the references to various vegetables!

I think there was reference to a zucchini in Under the Tuscan Sun ... don't remember if it was the movie or the book, though."

I would bet it was the movie, as the book is so different.