Play Book Tag discussion

Tyrannosaur Canyon
This topic is about Tyrannosaur Canyon
Archive: Other Books > (POLL BALLOT) Tyrannosaur Canyon / Douglas Preston - 4****

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5794 comments Tyrannosaur Canyon by Douglas Preston
Tyrannosaur Canyon – Douglas Preston
Book on CD performed by Scott Sowers
4****

From the book jacket: A moon rock missing for thirty years … Five buckets of blood-soaked sand found in a New Mexico canyon … A scientist with ambition enough to kill … A monk who will redeem the world … A dark agency with a deadly mission … The greatest scientific discovery of all time… What fire bolt from the galactic dark shattered the Earth eons ago, and now hides in that remote cleft in the southwest United States known as Tyrannosaur Canyon?

My reactions:
This was one wild ride of a thriller! I was all set to follow independently wealth veterinarian Tom Broadbent not just through this novel, but any future ones. He has all the markings of a major series hero – wealth, good looks, a noble heart, the confidence and admiration of the community, and a wife who is both smart and beautiful. He’s also tenacious and does not suffer fools gladly, even when those fools are the police who seem to suspect HIM rather than listen to his story of the murdered prospector he found in the desert.

Tom’s got his work cut out for him in trying to find out the identity of the murdered man. He’s also determined to find out what the old man was up to. He recalls a visit to a monastery to treat their sheep and meeting a monk who had some experience with codes, so he decides to ask for the monk’s help in deciphering the dead man’s notebook.

The monk is an ex-CIA operative now living a life of contemplation in a remote monastery, and he is the character who steals the show. And then I realized that the series title is: Wyman Ford.

Plenty of action, more villains that you can shake a stick at, twists and turns and danger to keep the reader turning pages and trying (in vain, in my case at least) to guess where this is going. And I loved that the T-rex gets a few chapters of her own to “narrate.” I will say this, for all the testosterone on the pages, Preston’s women are no shrinking violets. They give as good (or better) than they get – smart, determined, strong in mind and body!

Scott Sowers does an excellent job reading the audiobook. He sets a good pace and has the skill to give the many characters sufficiently distinct voices. As a bonus, there is an interview with the author at the end of the audiobook. I found it fascinating to learn a little more of Preston’s background, including his years working for the American Museum of Natural History.

LINK to my review

message 2: by LibraryCin (last edited May 18, 2020 06:39PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

LibraryCin | 8318 comments The monk is an ex-CIA operative now living a life of contemplation in a remote monastery, and he is the character who steals the show. And then I realized that the series title is: Wyman Ford.

This disappointed me. I thought the monk was kind of boring (you liked this a bit better than I did, and obviously liked this character more than I did!). I would have continued the series if it had focused on the vet, but since it doesn't, I don't plan to continue.

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5794 comments I hear you, Cindy. Don't plan to continue the series based on what I've read about the subsequent books.