Vegan Book Club discussion

May 2020: Tin Heart > Chapters 18-34 (end)

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tessa (new)

Tessa (trisstessa) | 576 comments Mod
Did you finish the second half of Tin Heart? Let's talk about it!

Share your thoughts on the rest of the novel here.

Did you like it? Were you surprised by anything? What do you think the future has in store for the characters?

message 2: by Tabbie (new)

Tabbie Elliott My heart broke 20,000 times when she yelled at Pip. It made me think back to times when I probably hurt my sisters feelings during a disagreement. That words do stick with you and can change who you turn out to be. I can still think of times when someone made fun of the way I danced or dressed. It makes you second guess yourself. What if we were all fully ourselves like Pip without worrying what others thought... would we be happier?

Also, I like how they left the final interaction with Carmen up in the air. I think I would have been disappointed or felt like the ending was being drawn out if they did include a make up between them. It left it on a more positive note for you to interpret how you wish.

I LOVE HOW SHE CUTS HER HAIR OFF. I identify with this. I had long blonde hair (just like my mom) from middle school through college. The last year of college I cut my hair off to a short pixie and went vegetarian. My mom was so upset... but I felt like I was finally me. I used to hide behind my hair and now I feel like I’m 100% me. I was growing my hair out and then cut it off again when I went Vegan last year. I think it gives me a sense of control and makes me feel more confident in myself.

Lastly, I think her and Leo seem cute. At least he seems super supportive and loving. Overall I enjoyed this read. It was an easy light read but was still thought provoking.

message 3: by Tessa (new)

With how adamant Marlowe's mom is against the idea of Marlowe dating an omnivore, I can't stop wondering about the vegan community in Australia, where the book takes place. Who is Marlowe supposed to date if not an omnivore lol that's simply the majority of people! Besides, isn't the point of protesting to get people to change their minds about eating meat? You have better chances of "converting" someone close to you, like your boyfriend (or your daughter's boyfriend in Marlowe's mom's case lol).

Really liked this overall. I haven't read a lot of YA lately, but I think this one was pretty solid. I would be interested knowing more about Carmen though. Maybe an entire book about her? I find her fascinating.

debbicat *made of stardust* (cr8zycat) | 36 comments I didn’t read this. Had a lot of other commitments going on. I’ll add it to my TBR since you all really liked it. It looks good based on the comments.

message 5: by Tessa (new)

Tabbie wrote: "My heart broke 20,000 times when she yelled at Pip. It made me think back to times when I probably hurt my sisters feelings during a disagreement. That words do stick with you and can change who yo..."

When Pip wears "normal" clothes...ugh, that was the worst. I wanted to protect him forever and ever. We need more people like Pip!

At the same time though, something that annoyed me earlier was when their mom got mad at Marlowe after that swimming incident. Marlowe had already expressed concern that something could happen to Pip given what he was wearing and their mom just...kinda ignored it? Then blamed her when something did go wrong. As if Marlowe only exists to protect Pip. It's very sad, but she can't be there all of the time.

message 6: by Tessa (new)

debbicat ☮~Traveling Sister wrote: "I didn’t read this. Had a lot of other commitments going on. I’ll add it to my TBR since you all really liked it. It looks good based on the comments."

It's a pretty quick read! And has a nice balance of lighthearted antics and serious topics