Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Problems having an author with the same name

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael (last edited May 18, 2020 10:46AM) (new)

Michael Ward | 6 comments How can I get rid of an erroneously created second Goodreads page for my book 'Rags of Time' which has been attributed to another author with the same name as me? He's receiving my reviews!

My name is Michael Ward and I am a Goodreads author. There is another Michael Ward and a number of reviews and reader notifications for my debut novel Rags of Time have been posted on a second book page attributed to him.

I had a similar problem when I first joined Goodreads but a lady sorted it out and, I think, left a note on my account explaining how she remedied the problem.

Please could someone look into this? The 'real' Michael Ward who is the author of Rags of Time is the ageing gent with a beard, not a healthy-looking guy from Glasgow! Many thanks

message 2: by Scott (new)

Scott | 17227 comments I have moved it to your profile.

Please remove reference to the other librarian from your post; naming names is not allowed (even if it's positive.)

message 3: by Michael (new)

Michael Ward | 6 comments Thanks for sorting this out so quickly Scott. Have edited my first post as you requested.

message 4: by Michael (new)

Michael Ward | 6 comments Scott wrote: "I have moved it to your profile.

Please remove reference to the other librarian from your post; naming names is not allowed (even if it's positive.)"

Hi Scott,

Back on May 18th, you kindly sorted a problem for me. A second page for my book 'Rags of Time' suddenly appeared, with the book and reviews being attributed to another author with the same name, Michael Ward.

You managed to close this page and attribute the reviews to my profile.

Well, unfortunately, it has happened again with the same author and he's already picked up four of my reviews. Please could you work your magic again and switch the reviews to the real author of Rags of Time - me! (I'm the Michael Ward who's bald but has a thick white beard.) and close the duplicate page as you did last time.

Do you have any idea why this keeps happening?

Many thanks

Michael Ward

message 5: by Scott (new)

Scott | 17227 comments Another librarian appears to have beaten me to it.

It happens because books are automatically imported to the default profile. The bots have no way of knowing which Michael Ward is which.

message 6: by Emily (last edited Jul 16, 2020 03:42PM) (new)

Emily | 13173 comments I've moved it to your profile. (Next time just provide a link to the book.)
Unless you enter the book yourself with the ASIN for Kindle and ISBN for physical books, it will import automatically to what we call the "default" profile.
There are many authors with your name. Goodreads uses spaces between the first and last name in the author field of the book records to differentiate among authors with the same name.

You have *8 spaces* between your first and last name. The Michael Ward that claimed the default profile likely has many books on it that are not his.
Librarians are always happy to move books to your profile as it only takes a moment.

message 7: by Suzi (new)

Suzi | 8670 comments Michael wrote: "Scott wrote: "I have moved it to your profile.

Please remove reference to the other librarian from your post; naming names is not allowed (even if it's positive.)"

Hi Scott,

Back on May 18th, yo..."

Goodreads disambiguates between authors of the same name with different amounts of spaces between their first and lat names.

Your profile has 8 spaces between your first and last name.
When a work is imported from any other source automatically, Amazon or a publisher, it defaults to 1 space between the 2 names.

It takes a librarian less than a minute to move it, which I have done.

It is not deliberate or malicious on anyone's part. It's simply a system issue, and a volunteer librarian is always happy to take care of it for you.

message 8: by Emily (new)

Emily | 13173 comments Wow we are fast

message 9: by Michael (new)

Michael Ward | 6 comments Thank you everyone for your help sorting this out. Much appreciated.