Beta Reader Group discussion

Authors Seeking FREE Betas > Connecting with Beta Readers

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by robert cann (new)

robert cann | 5 comments Hi all
I have just joined this group. I am a first time writer and almost completed my first manuscript.
I am looking for Beta readers whether free or paid.
I would be grateful for any suggestions, advice or guidance on how to proceed.
Much appreciated

booksnooksandglory Hi, I’m a paid beta reader. If you ever need my services (I do reports and in-line edits, whatever the author chooses) or advice of any kind you can PM me. Or email me at norawatikinsbray@gmail.com for more in-depth information or detailed advice. I would love to help you understand the prices or guide you to blogs that answer your doubts.

message 3: by robert cann (new)

robert cann | 5 comments Thanks Nora. Do you beta religious genres?

message 4: by Tito (new)

Tito Athano (bobspringett) | 144 comments robert cann wrote: "Hi all
I have just joined this group. I am a first time writer and almost completed my first manuscript.
I am looking for Beta readers whether free or paid.
I would be grateful for any suggestion..."

Hi Robert,

Welcome aboard!

I have used a professional Beta and she was very helpful. I have used several non-paid betas and they vary considerably, from superficial to being almost partners in the writing process and very creative with their suggestions.

My suggestion is to follow a three-step process.

1. Get the work up to a reasonable standard first, perhaps using friends who would probably be gentler with you in the early stages before you expose yourself to a more serious critique.

2. Get a few free Betas, enough to get two or three quality responses and ignore the superficials (thanking them for their time and effort, of course!) At this stage you should put in your request with details such as genre, age range, target audience and perhaps a back-page blurb or summary.

3. Once you have given it a thorough polish after the free feedback, you might move to a professional Beta for the finer points that most amateurs tend to float over.

message 5: by robert cann (new)

robert cann | 5 comments Thank you so much Tito. very helpful