San Antonio Public Library discussion

Let's Talk Manga

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shannan (new)

Shannan (shannan_prukop) | 94 comments Mod
As mentioned in the post from Friday, graphic novels are essentially long form graphic stories, as created in the West. Manga on the other hand are graphic stories created and published originally in Japan. Generally they get published as individual issues in magazines like Shonen Jump, then later collected into volumes if they get popular enough. For a lot of Westerners, manga can be hard to get into because the format is flipped from what we're used to, but there are some amazing stories to be read if you're willing to learn.

Have you read any manga? Did you have trouble learning how to read it?

message 2: by Mark (new)

Mark Hall (libraryogre) | 105 comments Mod
I used to read a ton of manga; my first wife and I would head to Barnes and Noble, each pick up a couple manga, then go out to dinner and switch when we were done.

Some of my favorites are Kazuo Koike & Goseki Kojima series Samurai Executioner, Lone Wolf and Cub, and Path of the Assassin. Historically based, with ink drawings, they're very much for adults. Kubikiri Asa is about an extremely principled man who serves as an executioner for the shogun. Lone Wolf and Cub is about a man whose entire family is murdered, except for his infant son, and so he works as a Ronin; he would eventually kill Kubikiri Asa in a duel. Path of the Assassin is about two actual historical figures.

She was a bit more shojo oriented; I remember reading through a LOT of Fruits Basket, about a girl who stumbles into a supernatural family drama and navigates it by being unbelievably sweet.

message 3: by Gina (new)

Gina Garcia | 11 comments I've read a few manga that were fantastic! I won't lie most of the manga that I've read has been because I really loved the anime. I grew up watching anime so it's not difficult for me to get into reading manga. Two manga that stand out the most are Neon Genesis Evangelion and One Punch Man. The panels are outstanding and I just love revisiting both stories!

I've been wanting to read the Manga Classics, the manga version of classic novels like Pride and Prejudice, Emma, etc.) I love the books so I'm looking forward to see how the manga illustrates characters and scenes.