Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > 11.22.63 by Stephen King, 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jen (new)

Jen (jentrewren) | 553 comments An interesting diversion from the usual King stories. The premise is: If you could go back in time and change a major event in history should you or would you make things worse?
Would the butterfly effect mean that the same people would have to die but in a different way? Are some people just destined to have a crappy life however much they don't deserve it? Should we just be grateful for the little things which are good in life? Who are we to judge what is best? Is a disability always a bad thing? Should anyone ever mess with history if they can't be sure of the outcome however much they think it may change the world for the best?
This book certainly has room for thought by the reader and provides rich characters who the reader invests in (better had at over 700 pages) but some of the descriptions are long-winded and repeated several times. The story could have been told in less pages in my opinion. It also doesn't really pick up pace until about 300 pages in.

message 2: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7508 comments Thanks for the honest review Jen. I have had this on my radar since it came out. Not being a King (horror actually) fan, I had questioned whether this would be a good fit, since it seemed so different from his other books. I actually love long books, but they need to deliver long before page 300-

message 3: by David (new)

David Putnam (davidputnam) | 279 comments Nice review

message 4: by Jen (new)

Jen (jentrewren) | 553 comments Joanne wrote: "Thanks for the honest review Jen. I have had this on my radar since it came out. Not being a King (horror actually) fan, I had questioned whether this would be a good fit, since it seemed so differ..."

Joanne I am a harsh reviewer at the best of times so it doesn't mean it wasn't good just a slow burn. 3* to me is worth reading 4* is a bit special and 5* is blew my mind (only 2 of over 100 books got 5* last year so it's sort of the A+ rating from me).

message 5: by Robin P (last edited May 19, 2020 03:55AM) (new)

Robin P | 1627 comments Joanne wrote: "Thanks for the honest review Jen. I have had this on my radar since it came out. Not being a King (horror actually) fan, I had questioned whether this would be a good fit, since it seemed so differ..."

I personally found this engaging from the beginning and slowest when it got to the actual historic event. I had never read Stephen King, not being a horror fan, and the violence in a couple parts of this book made me feel I wouldn't enjoy his more typical work. But as someone who was there, I thought he did a great job of evoking "the land of long ago" as he calls it. I did it on audio on a trip and it definitely kept my interest.

I agree with you Jen, I only give a couple of 5 star ratings a year. I gave this 4.

message 6: by Jen (new)

Jen (jentrewren) | 553 comments Robin wrote: "Joanne wrote: "Thanks for the honest review Jen. I have had this on my radar since it came out. Not being a King (horror actually) fan, I had questioned whether this would be a good fit, since it s..."

This is the advantage of getting different opinions. We all like different things in our books and all interpret what we read differently.

message 7: by Meli (last edited May 19, 2020 06:45AM) (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3256 comments King could always cut out huge swaths of his longest books, but I always love those long-winded character study parts... seems like readers love it or hate it.

I look forward to reading this ... someday!

message 8: by Jen (new)

Jen (jentrewren) | 553 comments Meli wrote: "King could always cut out huge swaths of his longest books, but I always love those long-winded character study parts... seems like readers love it or hate it.

I look forward to reading this ... s..."

True. Perhaps I just have less patience now I'm an old fart. So many books and so little time left to read them all.

message 9: by annapi (new)

annapi | 4986 comments I absolutely agree this could have been shorter. Still, it was good enough to get 4 stars from me.