Making Bombs for Hitler Making Bombs for Hitler discussion

Making Bombs for Hitler

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Olivia (new)

Olivia Murphy This book shows what some of the Ukrainians went through in World War ll. Lida, a nine year old girl from Ukraine, gets taken by the Nazis, along with her little sister, Larissa. They get separated, and Lida gets taken to a work camp, where she sews and mends sheets and clothing. The Ukrainians are treated much worse than anybody else in the camp. She gets vile food, and is considered subhuman. But, she makes some friends in the work camp, and that gives her some light in all the darkness. And, her job in the camp isn't bad compared to what other people are doing. But, Lida ends up being reassigned with five other girls. They find out that they have to make bombs for Hitler. They try to sabotage the bombs as best they can. But, a bomb ends up destroying the warehouse where they work, and more bombs destroy parts of the work camp. She gets separated from her friends once again, and she has to make more explosives for Hitler. But then, she gets saved by the Americans, gets put in a refugee camp, and is reunited with some of her friends. She's happy at the camp, but all that she wants is to find her little sister. I liked this book because it showed the experience of people who weren't Jewish in World War ll. I just thought that there were some unnecessary details in the story. Overall, I would rate it a 4 out of 5.

message 2: by Ian (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ian Yes, some things were not necessary I read this a few months ago but I remember that there were some times when I asked myself why the author even needed to talk about it.