Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

The Glass Hotel
This topic is about The Glass Hotel
Group Read - The Glass Hotel > Group Read - The Glass Hotel general No Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14624 comments Our June 2020 group read book is Emily St. John Mandel's The Glass Hotel.
Are you planning on reading this book? I saw it was touted as "number one in ghost mysteries" intriguing!
No spoilers please on this topic thread.

OMalleycat | 1448 comments You scared me, Ann! I thought OMG, was I supposed to start that on May 15?

Le Chuck | 31 comments Got it on hold at library but am 11 weeks out 😱. Hopefully some generous souls will finish reading and return I early. Sounds like an interesting read.

message 4: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14624 comments Lol Jan O’Cat: I was just squeezing in the set-up between other things. * to start now would scare me too!!

OMalleycat wrote: "You scared me, Ann! I thought OMG, was I supposed to start that on May 15?"

Kari | 149 comments Just downloaded it and ready to start on it tomorrow! :)

message 6: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14624 comments I'm at least a week away from starting, Kari so right behind you!

Kari wrote: "Just downloaded it and ready to start on it tomorrow! :)"

OMalleycat | 1448 comments Kari wrote: "Just downloaded it and ready to start on it tomorrow! :)"

I’m on your tail, Kari, started last night—greatly helped by our local demonstrations being peaceful and ending early, so not requiring my wee hours (television) oversight ;-). So far I’m enjoying The Glass Hotel. I wasn’t sure from the book’s description.

I think we’re the only ones currently reading. I’ll start the summaries so you won’t have to do those on in your first group read with us.

Barbara K | 414 comments I’ve started! A few chapters in now on audio. It strikes me that this could be a good book for this group to discuss.

message 9: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14624 comments Thanks for offering to do the summaries Jan O’Cat!
Good to hear that the start of the book is engaging Barbara.

message 10: by OMalleycat (last edited Jun 02, 2020 09:36PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

OMalleycat | 1448 comments Ann wrote: "Thanks for offering to do the summaries Jan O’Cat! “

Well, I’m just a very nice cat, Ann. 😻prrrrrrrrrrr

(Twining Ann’s ankles. Oops! She tripped. Sorry!) 🙀

message 11: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14624 comments Ouch! Lol. Usually I’ve tripped because I was reading (listening) while walking and not paying attention. 😀 silly 🐈

message 12: by Russ (new) - rated it 2 stars

Russ | 330 comments I like the book description! But I'm probably too late to start reading & join in the discussion. The pandemic threw off my reading schedule (and ability to concentrate on novels) in April, and I've just been getting back in the right groove for the past few weeks.

OMalleycat | 1448 comments Russ wrote: "I like the book description! But I'm probably too late to start reading & join in the discussion. The pandemic threw off my reading schedule (and ability to concentrate on novels) in April"

Join us, Russ! It’s a good book and several (including Ann😲) haven’t started yet because of pandemic vagaries of the library system or other challenges to our reading schedules. The discussion will probably continue for a while.

message 14: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14624 comments Russ: I just recently started the book, and at my current 'no-commute' pace it's going to be a while before I finish in case you change your mind and can fit it in.
Gone are the days I could listen to entire books in 2-3 days while stuck in traffic. I am not sure I want those long stretches of gridlock hours back but my reading is much slower now, and like yours, my reading schedule is all out of whack.
I just finished part one. It does seem to offer for meaty discussions and I am eager to jump over to the part one thread!

Russ wrote: "I like the book description! But I'm probably too late to start reading & join in the discussion. The pandemic threw off my reading schedule (and ability to concentrate on novels) in April, and I'v..."

OMalleycat wrote: "Join us, Russ! It’s a good book and several (including Ann😲) haven’t started yet because of pandemic vagaries of the library system or other challenges to our reading schedules. The discussion will probably continue for a while. "

message 15: by Russ (new) - rated it 2 stars

Russ | 330 comments Great--thank you for the encouragement OMalley' & Ann! I read the Kindle sample today and liked it enough to buy. So I hope to make progress and join in the conversation soon.

Barbara K | 414 comments Russ, this is a book with a ton of options for interpretation and discussion. I finished it a week ago and I’m still not completely sure what to make of it - except that I really liked it. I look forward to reading more people’s thoughts.

OMalleycat | 1448 comments Barbara wrote: "Russ, this is a book with a ton of options for interpretation and discussion. I finished it a week ago and I’m still not completely sure what to make of it - except that I really liked it..."

True dat, Barbara. I haven’t posted final thoughts or a review yet because I haven’t quite decided on my final thoughts. Except, to echo you, that I liked it.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Glass Hotel (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Emily St. John Mandel (other topics)