WBTPLibrary Book Club discussion

Book Woman of Troublesome Creek > Discussion Question #5

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

West Bloomfield Twp. Public Library (wblibrary) | 47 comments Mod
After Cussy gets the cure for her blueness from the doctor, the side effects soon become too much for her to handle. If you were in Cussy's shoes, would you sacrifice your health for a chance to be normal?

If there weren't any side effects, do you think Cussy would have continued to take the medicine? Would you, if you were in her shoes?

message 2: by Erica (new)

Erica Zutz | 19 comments This is my personal experience and since I am living through it currently with my son and now his soon to be brother I have been #blessed with horrible morning sickness that requires pharmaceutical intervention. I can say without a shadow of a doubt I would prefer to be blue. I know you are saying but Erica she was persecuted blah blah blah. Yes I understand that, but in her small community it really didn’t matter because they knew her as blue. People were more concerned about her lack of blue. I think she was overwhelmingly respected for the job she does. I think the side effects were not worth it.

West Bloomfield Twp. Public Library (wblibrary) | 47 comments Mod
I agree, the side effects were not worth it in her case. I'm all for pharmaceutical intervention for illness/disease if the benefits outweigh the side effects, and for Cussy they didn't. In my opinion she was sacrificing her health for mostly cosmetic reasons, even though in her situation her appearance affected her life/how she was treated.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I am all for pharmaceuticals, as a former pharmacy technician, but in this case the side effects are just doing too much damage. I felt bad for her, and sorry Erica about your morning sickness! but sometimes the cons just outweigh the pros.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Its also hard to say if Cussy would have continued the medication if it worked. Maybe the community still would have treated her as a 'blue'; so no amount of medication can cure prejudice.