Black Coffee discussion

2020 Group Reads > June Group Read: Conjure Women

Comments Showing 1-50 of 102 (102 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Lulu, The Book Reader who could. (new)

Lulu (lulureads365) | 2489 comments Mod
This is where we will be discussing June’s group read, Conjure Women by Afia Atakora. How many of you will be joining the discussion?

message 2: by Trudy (new)

Trudy (goodreadscomtrudyspages) | 414 comments Yay! So excited to read this book. 😁

message 3: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 69 comments Yay! I have this book. I've been waiting to get the chance to read it.
I'm going to start before June.

message 4: by Lulu, The Book Reader who could. (new)

I’m excited to discuss this one. I’ve been attempting to read it for a while. Lol

message 5: by Adiyam (new)

Adiyam | 1 comments Hi, I’m new to the group! Does anyone have any website recommendations where I can purchase this book for a reasonable price? I would like to join in on this month book reading. Many thanks.

Dosha (Bluestocking7) Beard (bluestocking7) | 3232 comments You can try paperbackswap.com or used bookstores?

I have had some luck with paper back swap dot com in the past.

message 7: by BernieMck (new)

BernieMck | 1793 comments I read “Conjure Women” last month. It was a good read, you will enjoy it.

message 8: by Lulu, The Book Reader who could. (new)

Bernice! Please feel free to pop in and comment if you get the time.

message 9: by Darryl (new)

Darryl Barney (sir_db) | 146 comments I will be discussing. Thank you!

Dosha (Bluestocking7) Beard (bluestocking7) | 3232 comments Okay, I’m in! I’ll read Slave Play next month.

message 11: by Veronica (new)

Veronica (veraj121) | 71 comments Hey All...

I plan on reading this book in June. I would love to join this group read

Dosha (Bluestocking7) Beard (bluestocking7) | 3232 comments Welcome Veronica. I meant to say I’ll read Conjure Woman next and then read Slave Play in July.

message 13: by Danielle Roberts (new)

Danielle Roberts (droberts4224) | 6 comments I will be joining the discussion

Charmer (+ Vibes Only) | 37 comments It sounds good. I'm in.

message 15: by Olivia (new)

Olivia Gaines, Romance Author (ogaines) | 11 comments I'm searching for the book now. Looking forward to the discussion.

message 16: by Darryl (new)

Darryl Barney (sir_db) | 146 comments My copy from Barnes and noble came this morning. I am so excited!

message 17: by Maya (new)

Maya B | 799 comments I hope to have my copy in time for the discussion

message 18: by Crys (last edited May 25, 2020 07:18PM) (new)

Crys | 6 comments Sounds interesting. Can’t wait to read and discuss. Sounds like a good candidate for a medium bodied red 🤔

message 19: by Jocelynn (new)

Jocelynn Bryant (bookedmermaid71) | 1 comments Does anyone have a good site for an audiobook for this one? I would love to join in on this discussion.

message 20: by Lulu, The Book Reader who could. (new)

Local Library and Audible. Unfortunately Scribd doesn’t have it yet.

message 21: by Dedria (new)

Dedria A. | 246 comments It just was published last month by Penguin at $27 so I doubt it would be used or in any firm other than print. Our libraries are closed here so ....

message 22: by Charmer (+ Vibes Only) (last edited May 27, 2020 11:55AM) (new)

Charmer (+ Vibes Only) | 37 comments Jocelynn wrote: "Does anyone have a good site for an audiobook for this one? I would love to join in on this discussion."

Jocelynn, try Libby it's an app. It's through the library. That's where I'm getting my copy. It's audio. I'm #5 on the waiting list. I hope this helps and that you get a copy.

message 23: by Mo (new)

Mo | 14 comments Cool. The best reason for me to finish the book, right now.

message 24: by Sha (new)

Sha (shalew) | 2 comments I will be joining the discussion.

message 25: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 69 comments I finished this book yesterday. It was definitely good. The characters were so truthful.

message 26: by Lulu, The Book Reader who could. (new)

I’m gonna start it Friday evening.

message 27: by Trudy (new)

Trudy (goodreadscomtrudyspages) | 414 comments Starting tonight.

Dosha (Bluestocking7) Beard (bluestocking7) | 3232 comments I've been reading both and enjoying them.

message 29: by Trudy (new)

Trudy (goodreadscomtrudyspages) | 414 comments I got to about 20%. No quite sure what to think of this story yet.

message 30: by Trudy (new)

Trudy (goodreadscomtrudyspages) | 414 comments One of the reviewers compared this book to THE HEALING by Jonathan Odell. I read that book quite awhile ago and since I gave it 4.5 stars, I obviously enjoyed it. Unfortunately, though, I don’t remember much about it. Anyone agree?

message 31: by Trudy (new)

Trudy (goodreadscomtrudyspages) | 414 comments Trudy wrote: "I got to about 20%. No quite sure what to think of this story yet."

32%. I. Know what to think now....I’m hooked! This is very good! 😁

message 32: by Trudy (new)

Trudy (goodreadscomtrudyspages) | 414 comments 33%. Ironic (view spoiler)

message 33: by Lulu, The Book Reader who could. (new)

Trudy wrote: "One of the reviewers compared this book to THE HEALING by Jonathan Odell. I read that book quite awhile ago and since I gave it 4.5 stars, I obviously enjoyed it. Unfortunately, though, I don’t rem..."

Same Trudy! I’ve also read this and rated it high, but can’t really remember the story.

message 34: by Lulu, The Book Reader who could. (new)

**The Discussion has started. There may be spoilers**.

message 35: by Lulu, The Book Reader who could. (new)

I’ve completed part one and so far I’m fully engaged. I don’t know how I feel about the flip flopping between different time periods, but it’s not confusing....yet. Lol

Do you feel this is a coming of age story for Rue?

What about Bruh Abel? Is he a symbol of the new “modern” times?

message 36: by Trudy (last edited Jun 08, 2020 12:42PM) (new)

Trudy (goodreadscomtrudyspages) | 414 comments I’m only at 34%, but I have definite feelings about Bruh Abel. (view spoiler)

message 37: by Bobby (new)

Bobby Bermea (beirutwedding) | 38 comments Trudy wrote: "I’m only at 34%, but I have definite feelings about Bruh Abel. To me he appears to be a charlatan who is feeding people’s fears and taking advantage of their generosity. I was so shocked and appall..."

"34%" ? I take it you're reading on Kindle? ;-D

Which I'm only just discovering the beauty of...

message 38: by Trudy (new)

Trudy (goodreadscomtrudyspages) | 414 comments Bobby wrote: "Trudy wrote: "I’m only at 34%, but I have definite feelings about Bruh Abel. To me he appears to be a charlatan who is feeding people’s fears and taking advantage of their generosity. I was so shoc..."

Yes. I have a Paperwhite and the kindle app on my devices. Glad you’re enjoying.

message 39: by Trudy (new)

Trudy (goodreadscomtrudyspages) | 414 comments Sorry, guys. Just realised when I posted my comment this morning I should have used the spoiler notation. I fixed it. Hope I didn’t ruin that part for anyone.

message 40: by Trudy (new)

Trudy (goodreadscomtrudyspages) | 414 comments Just got to Part Three. I LOVE THIS BOOK!

message 41: by Trudy (new)

Trudy (goodreadscomtrudyspages) | 414 comments Afia on the birth of Conjure Women
(No worries No spoilers)
https://youtu.be/s-9UcUvS1hA

message 42: by Lulu, The Book Reader who could. (new)

Trudy!!! This is a really good book! I just finished part two. (view spoiler)

Dosha (Bluestocking7) Beard (bluestocking7) | 3232 comments I’m looking forward to getting back to it. I’m still trying to figure out Bruh man.

message 44: by Lulu, The Book Reader who could. (new)

Bruh man!! Lol!!!!

message 45: by Trudy (new)

Trudy (goodreadscomtrudyspages) | 414 comments Dosha (Bluestocking7) wrote: "I’m looking forward to getting back to it. I’m still trying to figure out Bruh man."

Okay, Dosha. You know you messed me up with the “Bruh Man”.
I laugh every time I see it. 😂😄

message 46: by Trudy (new)

Trudy (goodreadscomtrudyspages) | 414 comments Lulu wrote: "Trudy!!! This is a really good book! I just finished part two. There is so much going on! This is so beautifully written! I don’t even mind the shift in timeline because it all flows so nicely!!
..."

I KNOW....I just started searching for articles about Afia Atakora. I wanted to know more about the young woman who created this amazing piece her first time out.
End of Part Two. (view spoiler)

message 47: by Trudy (new)

Trudy (goodreadscomtrudyspages) | 414 comments 42%. Wait a minute! What’s “Bruh Man” up to ??????(view spoiler)

Dosha (Bluestocking7) Beard (bluestocking7) | 3232 comments I agree Trudy, He’s driving me and Ru crazy. He’s up to something. I’m almost to part two and it seems there is a struggle for power going on between the two of them.

message 49: by Trudy (new)

Trudy (goodreadscomtrudyspages) | 414 comments Page 192. Bruh Abel’s mother(view spoiler)

message 50: by Trudy (new)

Trudy (goodreadscomtrudyspages) | 414 comments 51%. Varina was their pacer. (view spoiler)

« previous 1 3

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Conjure Women (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Afia Atakora (other topics)