LDS Earth Stewardship discussion

The Righteous Mind: Why Good People Are Divided by Politics and Religion
This topic is about The Righteous Mind
Book Discussions > The Righteous Mind

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Peter (new)

Peter | 45 comments Mod
Is anyone else reading this? How are you enjoying it?

I'm glad that the book group brought me into contact with a selection that I doubt I would have discovered otherwise. Jonathan Haidt asks us not what we think is right, but why we think it. Drawing on hypothetical scenarios designed to evoke strong visceral responses, Haidt shows how our morality is often driven by "gut feelings" that are only mapped into rational justifications after the fact. As I pride myself on my rationality and logical approach to decisions, conceding the degree to which my values are *not* based on logic was somewhat humbling and revelatory.

From there, the author investigates the foundational values that might underlie the many diverse human cultures around the world, and how people of different moral cultures might find common ground. I'm not sure Haidt is completely right, but I deeply appreciate the questions he has raised so far.

message 2: by Joseph (new) - added it

Joseph (jsaltal) | 2 comments I hadn't known before today that a Monthly Read had started.

message 3: by Peter (new)

Peter | 45 comments Mod
Sorry we haven't communicated more effectively. Here's the lineup for the next three books.
The Righteous Mind: Why Good People Are Divided by Politics and Religion (Jonathan Haidt)
Wednesday, June 10 (Note that this is the second Wednesday of the month.)
Moderated by Dave Ryser
The Hour of Land: A Personal Topography of America's National Parks (Terry Tempest Williams)
Wednesday, August 5
Moderated by Peter Ashcroft
Silent Spring (Rachel Carson)
Wednesday, October 7
Moderated by Ann Gardner

We will meet via Zoom, and publicize the link before each discussion. Please join us whether or not you have read the book. We appreciate your participation, and you can help us choose future selections.

message 4: by Peter (new)

Peter | 45 comments Mod
A reminder that we will discuss The Righteous Mind on Wednesday, June 10, at 6:30 Mountain Time.

The Zoom link will be: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/82971464413...

Please join us, (whether you have read the book or not). Thanks.

message 5: by Peter (last edited Jun 27, 2020 11:43AM) (new)

Peter | 45 comments Mod
Apologies to those who were unable to join the book group discussion on June 10. Due to technical difficulties, we had to reschedule. The new date is Wednesday, July 1, and the new time is 7:30, (Mountain Time).

Zoom link is https://us02web.zoom.us/j/82971464413...

Talk to you then!