Play Book Tag discussion

Footnotes > Buddy read for Erotic Stories for Punjabi Widows.

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 6655 comments Erotic Stories for Punjabi Widows I'm starting to read this. Anyone interested please feel free to join in.

message 2: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 8047 comments I read this a year or more ago and enjoyed it a lot. It had so much more going on than I thought it would have.

message 3: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 6655 comments I am enjoying it so far.

message 4: by Robin P (new)

Robin P | 2079 comments I just started listening to it.

message 5: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 6655 comments Cool, Robin now I have a buddy.

message 6: by Sue (new)

Sue | 1332 comments I finished this about a week ago. My library e-book was due back.

I agree with Theresa the book had a lot more going on than I ever expected. A very light-hearted premise, but with a little mystery/thriller thrown in.

message 7: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3559 comments I'm in!

message 8: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 6655 comments Sue, feel free to join in.

Meli, glad to have you join us.

message 9: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6273 comments I also read this in the last year (finished it on Dec 30). Agree that it had more depth to it than I was expecting. I really enjoyed it. 4****

message 10: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 6655 comments Book Concierge wrote: "I also read this in the last year (finished it on Dec 30). Agree that it had more depth to it than I was expecting. I really enjoyed it. 4****"

Great, we welcome your input.

message 11: by annapi (new)

annapi | 5129 comments Am on Chapter 6, and am enjoying it much more than I expected! I'm hoping to finish it by tomorrow.

message 12: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 6655 comments annapi wrote: "Am on Chapter 6, and am enjoying it much more than I expected! I'm hoping to finish it by tomorrow."

I am on chapter 6 as well.

For anyone who has started it, one of the first ways that many of us connect with the book is through the characters. How are you feeling about Nikki and the others in the book?

message 13: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5839 comments OK I'm in.

message 14: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3559 comments I'll probably start in earnest this week!

message 15: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 6655 comments NancyJ wrote: "OK I'm in."

Yay! We have a good crowd, our own little classroom.

message 16: by annapi (last edited May 18, 2020 06:19PM) (new)

annapi | 5129 comments Just finished my review. I absolutely loved this book! 5 enthusiastic stars!

To answer Booknblues, I loved the characters, definitely sympathized with Nikki being torn between two worlds. It's easy, being raised with a Westernized upbringing, to side with Nikki's desire to be her own woman and make her own choices, but I have enough experience with a similar culture that expects respect, almost reverence, for the elders as well as the sense of "duty" the child owes parents. Not that mine were anything like that, but I've seen a glimpse of it and understand what's behind it even though I don't agree with the glorification of "tradition".

message 17: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 6655 comments annapi wrote: "Just finished my review. I absolutely loved this book! 5 enthusiastic stars!

To answer Booknblues, I loved the characters, definitely sympathized with Nikki being torn between two worlds. It's ea..."

Nikki is an interesting character and I think many of us can identify with certain aspects of her.

I was a bit of a hippie, but their came a point where I wondered "what am I going to do?" It was quite a struggle for me and I kind of fell into teaching. Now I have never taught any women quite like the ones she taught, but it could have been a possibility.

message 18: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 6655 comments Garnet wrote: "I ordered the book and hope to receive and start reading this week."

Great, glad to have you join us, Garnet.

message 19: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3559 comments I decided to do this in audio... hope it is good in that format.

message 20: by DianeMP (new)

DianeMP | 441 comments I have ordered the book today and hope to have it within a couple of days. I would like to join the discussion as well.

message 21: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 6655 comments Meli wrote: "I decided to do this in audio... hope it is good in that format."

I don't do audio, but as I was reading it, I was thinking that with the right reader it would be really good in audio.

message 22: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 6655 comments DianeMP wrote: "I have ordered the book today and hope to have it within a couple of days. I would like to join the discussion as well."

Diane, happy to have you join in.

message 23: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 6655 comments I'm finished and so glad I read it. Oddly, I could see it fitting with any of the tags nominated for next month.

message 24: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 8047 comments I read it a couple of years ago when I needed a book recommended by a celebrity bookclub or such for Pop Sugar Reading Challenge. I happened to look at Reese Witherspoon's list first and it jumped out, looking like a quick fun read. Not only was it fun and engaging, it was a real surprise both in the serious plot lines, and the thriller mystery part.

message 25: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3559 comments Booknblues wrote: "Meli wrote: "I decided to do this in audio... hope it is good in that format."

I don't do audio, but as I was reading it, I was thinking that with the right reader it would be really good in audio."

That's good to know!

message 26: by Robin P (new)

Robin P | 2079 comments Meli wrote: "I decided to do this in audio... hope it is good in that format."

I am doing it on audio, good for the various accents. But it's a lot slower than in print.

message 27: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 6655 comments I can't wait to read what everyone thinks of this book. I rated it 4 tar, which I consider quite good. Here is my review:

I am so glad, I finally had a chance to read Erotic Stories for Punjabi Widows because it is such an entertaining multi-layered story which touches on so many issues in a humorous, but also thoughtful and insightful manner.

We frequently misunderstand each other and have preconceived notions regarding others even within the same culture and this is what happens with Nikki, and her older students. Nikki is a modern 20 something, Punjabi-English woman who is trying to find her niche in the world. She takes a position teaching writing to Punjabi women at a temple community center. The women believe that she is teaching them English skills for reading, writing and speaking.

I always love a good teacher story where an understanding and respect develops between the teacher and her students and this novel is really an excellent one. It goes beyond that with insights on culture and identity and there is a very scary undercurrent going on which the reader and Nikki have to discover.

message 28: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3559 comments Robin wrote: "Meli wrote: "I decided to do this in audio... hope it is good in that format."

I am doing it on audio, good for the various accents. But it's a lot slower than in print."

That's promising still!

message 29: by DianeMP (new)

DianeMP | 441 comments My book arrived from Amazon today and I started reading it right away. I like the author's writing style and the pacing of the story. Very enjoyable to read.

Although I like the character Nikki, the character I most connect to is Kulwinder Kaur. I am drawn to her character because of the way the author describes her deep sense of loss. Losing a child is a terrible experience filled with deep sadness and and grief.

"She had loss with them, but losing a child is different.
Nobody knew the ache of rage, guilt, and profound sadness
that Kulwinder carried with her everyday."

I imagine I connected to this immediately because my son's birthday is later this month. He passed away two and a half years ago.
In that short passage, Jaswal summed up the profound and terrifying feelings you experience with the loss of a child.

message 30: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 6655 comments DianeMP wrote: "My book arrived from Amazon today and I started reading it right away. I like the author's writing style and the pacing of the story. Very enjoyable to read.

Although I like the character Nikki, t..."

Diane, I remember you telling us about your son. Such a tragic loss.

Kulwinder is an interesting character and I liked the growth which she exhibited in the book.

message 31: by Robin P (new)

Robin P | 2079 comments I knew before this that Singh is a common name in India but I didn't realize it is the name of all Sikh men and Kaur of all Sikh women. Phone listings, employee directories, etc. must be a real challenge.

I am about one-third done with the audio. I like that it is not just humor but has other elements. The part about the stories reminded me of another audiobook from this year, Heidi's Guide to Four Letter Words, which is set in another exotic locale - small town Minnesota.

message 32: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 6655 comments I was surprised by the Singh and Kaur as well.

The stories were a treat. I can imagine Nikki's shock when she first heard them.

message 33: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 8047 comments I was taken aback when I read the first story! Never expected the author to include them in the book!

message 34: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 6655 comments Theresa wrote: "I was taken aback when I read the first story! Never expected the author to include them in the book!"

It does give you a completely different reading experience.

message 35: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 6655 comments Garnet wrote: "Is there a deadline for the buddy read?"

No deadline, join in when you can.

message 36: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5839 comments Robin wrote: " ...

The part about the stories reminded me of another audiobook from this year, Heidi's Guide to Four Letter Words, which is set in another exotic locale - small town Minnesota .."

Funny. I just read The Lager Queen of Minnesota and I loved it. Let's hear it for the entrepreneurial efforts of the Minnesota women!

message 37: by NancyJ (last edited May 23, 2020 11:34PM) (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5839 comments Booknblues wrote: "I can't wait to read what everyone thinks of this book. I rated it 4 tar, which I consider quite good. Here is my review:

I am so glad, I finally had a chance to read [book:Erotic Stories for Punj..."

This is a wonderful book. I loved the cultural nuances, and the classroom scenes. BnB, I was a wannabe hippy (I was a little too young when the really exciting things were happening.) and I felt the same way. I changed majors many times. I remember that feeling of wanting to make a difference, even if I wasn't sure how.

I liked Nikki. She had just enough naivete, and "arrogance of youth" to gave her the confidence to jump into something totally new. I really liked how she grew when she tried to understand different views.

It was interesting that she and Kulwinder had similarly vague goals to help women, but they couldn't communicate due to their negative assumptions about one another. Kulwinder was very unlikable at first but we grow to understand her when we learn more of her story. I think I like her story arc the best.

The women started the class with vague goals, and everyone had different expectations. The funny thing is...If Nikki and Kulwinder communicated better, they might have assessed the training needs of the women, and decided to run a reading course instead of a writing class. The woman who could write wouldn't have shown up and none of this would have happened.

Sometimes mistakes lead to wonderfully unexpected results.

message 38: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 6655 comments NancyJ wrote: "It was interesting that she and Kulwinder had similarly vague goals to help women, but they couldn't communicate due to their negative assumptions about one another. "

The book covered many areas of communication failure. Nikki with her mother, with Jason.

(view spoiler)

message 39: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 8047 comments Reading today the reviews posted by NancyJ and Robin I finally can express exactly what I believe the author accomplished so well: we as readers came in eith a certain expectation of what this story was, just as Nikki walked into what she thought was a simple writing class. Just as she took Nikki along an unexpected journey, you the reader are taken on one. Nikki and the reader experience parallel umexpected journeys.

message 40: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3559 comments I started the audio today and burned through about 3 hours... it is so good! I am already loving it. I love the distorting of expectations and getting into the core desires of the women which deviates so much from perception by Nikki, and society. Reads much at the pace of a thriller as I can't stop reading to get to what happens with all these characters.

message 41: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 6655 comments Meli wrote: "I started the audio today and burned through about 3 hours... it is so good! I am already loving it. I love the distorting of expectations and getting into the core desires of the women which devia..."

I felt that we learned about the Punjabi Sikh culture by getting to know the widows. They were so endearing.

message 42: by Robin P (last edited May 24, 2020 01:51PM) (new)

Robin P | 2079 comments I finished this and I liked it fine but not as much as most of you - my review:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

I actually was kind of bored by the stories. I like an erotic scene as much as anyone but I felt like I got the idea from the first one or two and they were slowing down the story.

The audio was very good with different voices and accents. I feel like it added a lot.

message 43: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 6655 comments Robin wrote: "I finished this and I liked it fine but not as much as most of you - my review:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

I actually was kind of b..."

I can only read so much erotica so did skip some of the stories. I do think the stories did help me understand the culture a little better.

I don't read much "chic lit", but have found with the pandemic, I've read more than usual and I thought this one was a little better than most I read.

message 44: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5839 comments Theresa wrote: "Reading today the reviews posted by NancyJ and Robin I finally can express exactly what I believe the author accomplished so well: we as readers came in eith a certain expectation of what this stor..."

Well said. I love when a book shakes up my preconceived notions about a culture, or a genre. This book doesn't neatly fit in any genre. The Lager Queen of Minnesota is another one that doesn't fit neatly into one genre. Others?

message 45: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3559 comments Some people know how much I hate the term "chic lit" so I won't climb on the soapbox today except to say, I hate it and it's demeaning to the reader and the authors who write this stories (who are predominately women). Chics read so diverse. Shit... I got on the soapbox anyway, didn't I?

I don't read a lot of romance, so I wouldn't recognize this as a common trope. I think the cultural aspect makes it that much more endearing and illuminating, but as Robin mentioned in her review I think we could easily see a similar storyline for women of other cultures.

I also don't read erotica so I was interested in these passages, but I can see others wanting to skip over them. They don't keep the story moving in a forward direction.

I have about 3 hours left and I think this will easily be a 5 for me :)

Heather Reads Books (gothicgunslinger) | 543 comments LOL I'm so far behind, but I finally started reading this! I'm about sixty pages in and enjoying it so far. I relate to Nikki lol - I used to be a college professor teaching writing to ESL students. Makes me miss it, I had a blast...

Also, (view spoiler) I definitely wasn't expecting that.

message 47: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3559 comments Heather Reads Books wrote: "LOL I'm so far behind, but I finally started reading this! I'm about sixty pages in and enjoying it so far. I relate to Nikki lol - I used to be a college professor teaching writing to ESL students..."

Yay, glad you are reviving this thread.
There is a lot going on in this book that I loved.
A little mystery, some romance, erotica, culture / family drama.

Great book!

Keep us posted on your thoughts.

message 48: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 6655 comments Yes, Heather, so glad you finally are able to read it.

It is a really good book.

message 49: by Sue (new)

Sue | 1332 comments Heather Reads Books wrote: "LOL I'm so far behind, but I finally started reading this! I'm about sixty pages in and enjoying it so far. I relate to Nikki lol - I used to be a college professor teaching writing to ESL students..."

I read your spoiler and I too was surprised by this aspect of the book. It gave a depth that I wasn't expecting at all.

message 50: by annapi (new)

annapi | 5129 comments I don't think it's too spoilery to mention it - I did so in my review so the cat is kinda out of the bag about it already.

« previous 1