Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

Spring 2020 Quarantine Recommendations!

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kait (new)

Kait | 3 comments Hi All, I've been reading a lot more during quarantine and am looking for some new recommendations please!
Books I've read and really liked/loved:
Fever Series-KMM
GuildHunter Series-Nalini Singh
Psy-Changeling-Nalini Singh
Hidden Legacy-Illona Andrews
ACOTAR, TOG, CC- Sarah Maas
Chicagoland Vampires-Chloe Neill
Fae Chronicles, Monsters Series-Amelia Hutchins
Feral Sins-Suzanne Wright
Rhapsodic Series-Laura Thalassa

Looking for series on the shorter side, with action, strong heroine and romance (not over the top steam level) please and thank you!! :)

Karen  ⚜Mess⚜ | 49 comments By the looks of your bookshelf you got them all down.

Not much of a romancey type books but they are fun reads:
Shannon Mayer has some really good series. I loved the Desert Cursed series. Hilarious.

Also, Kelly St. Clare I enjoyed her Pirates of Felicity series.

Karen  ⚜Mess⚜ | 49 comments Pippa DaCosta is FANTASTIC! 1st book in series is usually free.

kittykat AKA Jo Tortitude | 380 comments Well, I have loads of shorter (under 10) completed series that I've enjoyed, not all are romance heavy

Into The Green (The Green #1) by Jessica Gadziala 2 books The Midwinter Mail-Order Bride (The Dead Lands, #1; Mail-Order Brides, #4) by Kati Wilde At Death It Begins Complete Series ADIB boxset by Elle Jefferson Dark Currents (Agent of Hel, #1) by Jacqueline Carey Nightfall (Dark Age Dawning, #1) by Ellen Connor 4 x 3 books Diaries of an Urban Panther (Diaries of an Urban Panther #1) by Amanda Arista 3.5 books
The Turning (Urban Vampire, #1) by Pepper Pace My Soul to Keep (African Immortals, #1) by Tananarive Due 4 books The Better Part of Darkness (Charlie Madigan, #1) by Kelly Gay 4.5 books Matters of the Blood (Blood Lines #1) by Maria Lima Long Ride Home (Cambio Springs #0.5) by Elizabeth Hunter 2 x 5 books
Night Myst (Indigo Court, #1) by Yasmine Galenorn 6 books Darkness Unbound (Dark Angels, #1) by Keri Arthur 7 books Carol's Mate (True Mates, #0.5) by Zena Wynn 8 books Magic to the Bone (Allie Beckstrom, #1) by Devon Monk Full Moon Rising (Riley Jenson Guardian #1) by Keri Arthur 2 x 9 books

kittykat AKA Jo Tortitude | 380 comments And my favs

... the hilarious and ridiculous, chaotic, frenetic, stabby, stabby stab, stab, stab!!!

Pack Challenge (Magnus Pack, #1) by Shelly Laurenston 3 books, which leads into
Howl For It (includes Pride, #0.5) by Shelly Laurenston 9 books and this prequel which also leads into
Hot and Badgered (Honey Badger Chronicles, #1) by Shelly Laurenston 3 books but really one single story in three parts...
And to get the best out of the the Honey Badgers, which is the best of all, you should at least read the Pride series. You don't have to, but things will make a lot more sense if you do.

And lastly the best of all, the beautiful angsty, grief stricken, revenge filled, magical found family
Wolfsong (Green Creek, #1) by T.J. Klune Ravensong (Green Creek, #2) by T.J. Klune Lovesong (Green Creek #2.5) by T.J. Klune Heartsong (Green Creek, #3) by T.J. Klune Feralsong (Green Creek #3.5) by T.J. Klune Brothersong (Green Creek, #4) by T.J. Klune
which MUST be read in order and includes 2 online freebies on TJ's website.

I have others I really like/d but they are all much longer series.

message 8: by Fee (last edited May 18, 2020 04:12PM) (new)

Fee | 14 comments Patricia Briggs her Mercy Thompson series is excellent and gets better and better with every book. Start with Moon called
Moon Called (Mercy Thompson, #1) by Patricia Briggs

Eileen Wilks Lupi series is another series that really begins to pay off book 3 onwards. Start with Tempting Danger
Tempting Danger (World of the Lupi, #1) by Eileen Wilks

Gini Koch will take you on a fun sci-fi ride with her Kitty Katt series. Start with Touched by an Alien
Touched by an Alien by Gini Koch

Jane Cousins Southern Sanctuary series will have you laughing and reaching for a fan to cool off from the hot (but sweet) romances she delivers with every book. Magic and Fun. Start with book one
To Woo A Warrior (Southern Sanctuary, #1) by Jane Cousins

message 9: by Kait (new)

Kait | 3 comments Thank you all!! I will check these out!!

message 10: by Cozen (last edited May 19, 2020 12:14PM) (new)

Cozen | 458 comments Kresley Cole’s Arcana Chronicles, Poison Princess (The Arcana Chronicles, #1) by Kresley Cole Poison Princess is a great series, 5 books long (the last book 6 From the Grave (The Arcana Chronicles, #6) by Kresley Cole From the Grave is due out soon).

It’s important to note that this series starts out with book one and is not what it appears to be on the surface. A teen cheerleader angsty story changes around chapter 13 and from there things evolve to a dystopia/paranormal romance/urban fantasy. The following books further evolve. Here is a link for a book 2 trailer that better explains the series: https://www.thearcanachronicles.com/

message 11: by Kait (new)

Kait | 3 comments Cozen wrote: "Kresley Cole’s Arcana Chronicles, Poison Princess (The Arcana Chronicles, #1) by Kresley ColePoison Princess is a great series, 5 books long (the last book 6 From the Grave (The Arcana Chronicles, #6) by Kresley Cole[book:From ..."

awesome thank you! I had heard of that series before but was hesitant. I will be checking it out.

message 12: by Devin (new)

Devin | 1 comments I see someone has already recommended the Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs (my favorite series!) The author has another series in that same world called Alpha & Omega. It starts as a novella in a collection of urban fantasy novellas called On the Prowl. Then, the first full book of the series is called Cry Wolf.

Either series, you can't go wrong with Patricia Briggs!

message 13: by BJ (last edited May 28, 2020 06:05AM) (new)

BJ (barbararhodes) | 45 comments Fee wrote: "Patricia Briggs her Mercy Thompson series is excellent and gets better and better with every book. Start with Moon called
Moon Called (Mercy Thompson, #1) by Patricia Briggs

Eileen Wilks..."

Thank you for reminding me about the World of the Lupi. I re-read book 1 tonight, and rated it 5 stars again. Great writing, and a wonderful heroine who doesn't lose her mind when she meets the H - hurray! Plus so many books in the series. Thx.

Patricia Briggs is an auto buy - I have all of her books, and another good author is Jacqueline Rhoades with a great shifter series starts with The Alpha's Mate. My favourite is the series is The Alpha's Daughter

Heather Long is good too, Wolves of Willow Bend has multiple books, Book 1 is Wolf Bite. The Alpha is so good, and gets stronger over time. He plays a part in the books through the series.

message 14: by Maria (last edited Jun 30, 2020 08:47AM) (new)

Maria Vale (mariavale) | 44 comments Someof these have already been mentioned, like TJ Klune's Green Creek series: Wolfsong, Ravensong, Heartsong which are some of the most touching and romantic books in any genre.

I've also been re-reading some of my comfort reads like G.A. Aiken, especially Dragon Actually

Then Jeaniene Frost and Darynda Jones both of whom are funny and passionate and so imaginative.

One series I started during quarantine and gave me great joy was Ilona Andrews' The Innkeeper Chronicles, Volume 1 It's about a woman whose power is strongest confined to her house and will move heaven and earth to protect those inside. Just perfect

message 15: by Azaaa (new)

Azaaa | 4 comments Kait wrote: "Hi All, I've been reading a lot more during quarantine and am looking for some new recommendations please!
Books I've read and really liked/loved:
Fever Series-KMM
GuildHunter Series-Nalini Singh
..."

Soul's Day Boxset is a new book released on 10/20/20 to instant bestseller status and #1 in horror anthology. It's primarily haunting horror stories with a few urban fantasy and paranormal romance stories mixed in. All well written and memorable.

Soul's Day Boxset: Horror and Paranormal Halloween Theme

kittykat AKA Jo Tortitude | 380 comments Death's Dancer (Grace Bloods, #1) by Jasmine Silvera Dancer's Flame (Grace Bloods, #2) by Jasmine Silvera The Talon & the Blade by Jasmine Silvera

Superb trilogy about a Gods Dancer at the top of her game at the same time as battling a debilitating condition, and her run in with and subsequent romance with a necromancer, the head honcho for their region. The first two are set in Prague and the third one is in the US. Beautifully written books, lots of action and intrigue, strong romance a few steamy scenes but nothing overly descriptive. And the dance scenes in book 1 are stunning to envisage.

Wicked Game (WVMP Radio, #1) by Jeri Smith-Ready Crossroads (WVMP Radio, #1.1) by Jeri Smith-Ready Rave On (WVMP Radio, #1.2) by Jeri Smith-Ready When The Music's Over (WVMP Radio, #1.3) by Jeri Smith-Ready Last Request (WVMP Radio, #1.4) by Jeri Smith-Ready Bad to the Bone (WVMP Radio, #2) by Jeri Smith-Ready Bring on the Night (WVMP Radio, #3) by Jeri Smith-Ready Let It Bleed (WVMP Radio, #3.5) by Jeri Smith-Ready Lust for Life (WVMP Radio, #4) by Jeri Smith-Ready

Really fun vampire only series with vampire DJ's and a vampire dog! The FMC is a recovering con artist turned mature student who ends up in a prt time job at the radio station and from there it all kicks off. A few steamy scenes, but again nothing OTT, this one is FUN. The four short stories between books 1 & 2 are free to read on the authors website and give the backstory to some of the individual DJ's (vampire DJ's!) 'turning' and are worth the read.