Jewish Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Nominations > Nominations for July 2020

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jan (new)

Jan Rice | 1480 comments Mod
Now taking nominations for a Jewish mystery, detective story or police procedural for July.

One nomination per person
Lists of suggestions don't count as "a nomination."

We are looking for up to six nominations by the end of the week.

Goal: to discover what book from those categories we want to read in July

Nominations by a book's author or other interested parties will be deleted.

You can scroll through the Bookshelf or down the Home Page to see if we've already read a book. Stacey and I will vet for availability and the like.

Happy nominating!

message 2: by Hermien (new)

Hermien (hermienbouman) | 18 comments I nominate Asylum City by Liad Shoham.

message 3: by Jan (new)

Thank you, Hermien: Asylum City

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy | 112 comments Ten Years Gone by Jonathan Dunsky! Dying to read this one!

message 5: by debra (new)

debra  L | 96 comments Saving Sophie by Ronald Balson

message 6: by Yael (new)

Yael Shahar | 3 comments Nine Tenths of the Law by Claudia Long: Nine Tenths of the Law

message 7: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 31 comments The Huntress by Kate Quinn

message 8: by Beverly (new)

Beverly (bclucey) An Old Man's Game: An Amos Parisman Mystery by Andy Weinberger

message 9: by Jan (new)

Amy wrote: "Ten Years Gone" by Jonathan Dunsky! Dying to read this one!"

First of a new series and came out in 2017, with almost 1300 Goodreads readers, but no inexpensive used books. Still, $4.99 for Kindle -- and a $12.99 paperback on Amazon. According to my calculus, that = "available."

Ten Years Gone

message 10: by Jan (new)

debra luger wrote: "Saving Sophie by Ronald Balson"

No paperbacks on Amazon, and even the Kindle is $11.99. There are some paperbacks elsewhere over the internet -- AbeBooks and eBay are the ones I usually check 1st, around $7.99 and up. Would libraries be reopening in time to check out this book?

Also, although there's an investigative team in the book, it's usually called "suspense" and "thriller," rather than mystery or detective.

Plus, already going on 9000 readers on Goodreads. Has everybody already read this one?

Let's hold off on this one to see what other nominations come in.

message 11: by M (new)

M Kat | 13 comments Ritual Bath, by Faye Kellerman - or any of the books in the Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus series

message 12: by Jan (new)

"debra luger wrote: 'Saving Sophie by Ronald Balson.'"
And then Jan wrote, "No paperbacks on Amazon, and even the Kindle is $11.99. There are some paperbacks elsewhere over the internet -- AbeBooks and eBay are the ones ..."

Given what I said, would you be willing to substitute another nomination, Debra?

message 13: by Stacey B (new)

Stacey B | 927 comments Mod
Amy wrote: "Ten Years Gone by Jonathan Dunsky! Dying to read this one!"

Hi. Hope you and family are well and safe!. I have read a few of your comments on Book Tag in the last month- Though still not a member, it tells me everyone is are ok!!
Should your nomination not win- read it soon. It's good, as well as his other books in the series. They are basically all stand-alone novels.
Take care-
xo

message 14: by Jan (new)

Okay, group, we have two nominations for books by little-known authors, Nine-Tenths of the Law and An Old Man's Game. The second is at least a bona fide detective story. These are not the author's mothers or agents. But they are possibly individuals who would like to see a fellow author get a leg up, which is a kind and generous position, but not aligned with the group's purpose.

So, I'm asking you, is our purpose to help little-known authors become established? Or, is our purpose to find the book most of us would like to read, presumably books by established authors that we've heard of in professional reviews or from friends. There are so many books we've heard of that we'd like to read!

Putting in nominations whom a lot of friends would like to elevate: is that what we really want?

My concern is that the book will get a big push and win, and that when others see that, they won't even bother to vote.

Let's have nominations from some established books, please.

message 15: by Jan (new)

M wrote: "Ritual Bath, by Faye Kellerman - or any of the books in the Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus series"

Hi, M. Thanks for your nomination, my concern here being that everyone who wants to read it already has. Is that a reasonable concern, do you think? Do the other books in the series function as stand-alone books if someone hasn't read the 1st? Which of the others do you think would be the best substitute?

message 16: by Jan (new)

Melissa wrote: "The Huntress by Kate Quinn"

Thanks for your nomination, Melissa. Bear with me:

This one is first and foremost suspense/thriller/action/adventure. Although someone could say a mystery is part of the plot, it is not a mystery per se. Some guys want to bring some other guys to justice, in other words, suspense.

I know some members have been wanting to see this book nominated for the longest time.

Debate me on this one, anybody. 🙂
How is this a Jewish book?
Maybe I can be persuaded since I know a number of you would like to see this one nominated!

message 17: by debra (new)

debra  L | 96 comments Great book! Though agree, not really a mystery per se, the line between mystery and thriller is thin at times. The book does have Jewish characters and the subject matter is relatable to jewish readers. I did have this debate before choosing it for out local Jewish Book Club.

message 18: by debra (last edited May 19, 2020 08:10AM) (new)

debra  L | 96 comments Jan wrote: " "debra luger wrote: 'Saving Sophie by Ronald Balson.'"
And then Jan wrote, "No paperbacks on Amazon, and even the Kindle is $11.99. There are some paperbacks elsewhere over the internet -- AbeBook..."

Jan wrote: " "debra luger wrote: 'Saving Sophie by Ronald Balson.'"
And then Jan wrote, "No paperbacks on Amazon, and even the Kindle is $11.99. There are some paperbacks elsewhere over the internet -- AbeBook..."

Jan wrote: "M wrote: "Ritual Bath, by Faye Kellerman - or any of the books in the Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus series"

Hi, M. Thanks for your nomination, my concern here being that everyone who wants to read it ..."

Yes, most have read... the original was clearly the best and some recent ones I've not liked.... Agree that most/many have read

message 19: by debra (new)

debra  L | 96 comments Jan wrote: " "debra luger wrote: 'Saving Sophie by Ronald Balson.'"

We're reading locally (through Abe's) Our libraries are showing no signs of opening.... :(
Could try a Batya Gur mystery (though have been underwhelmed by several including the orig. Saturday Morning Murders) Maybe Murder Duet? Alternatively I'd be willing to try another Israeli mystery writer DA Mishani "A Possibility of Violence" available used PB!! not ready any...

message 20: by Charles (new)

Charles Weinblatt (charles_weinblatt) I highly recommend "The Warsaw Anagrams," by Richard Zimmler. It's a powerful, well written murder mystery when Jews in Warsaw were being detained in the Warsaw Ghetto. The pace is intense. Judaism is the constant foundation. However, the book is not long by any standard. Zimmler is highly descriptive and his characters well developed. This book will haunt you long after you've finished it. For a more information, read my review of the Warsaw Anagrams in the New York Journal of Books, here: https://www.nyjournalofbooks.com/book....

message 21: by Jan (new)

debra luger wrote: "Great book! Though agree, not really a mystery per se, the line between mystery and thriller is thin at times. The book does have Jewish characters and the subject matter is relatable to jewish rea..."

(re The Huntress)
Wavering on this one. I do know people have been interested for a long time...

message 22: by Jan (new)

debra luger wrote: "...Yes, most have read... the original was clearly the best and some recent ones I've not liked.... Agree that most/many have read"

(re Ritual Bath)
Will await feedback on a sub from the series. M may respond. Asked somebody else too.

message 23: by Jan (new)

debra luger wrote: "...We're reading locally (through Abe's) Our libraries are showing no signs of opening.... :(
Could try a Batya Gur mystery (though have been underwhelmed by several including the orig. Saturday Morning Murders) Maybe Murder Duet? Alternatively I'd be willing to try another Israeli mystery writer DA Mishani "A Possibility of Violence" available used PB!! not ready any..."

(re request for a substitute for Saving Sophie)
When I looked up Gur earlier, Literary Murder looked best, judging from Goodreads reviews. Have you read that one? I got it last year but have lent it to a friend during olden times ("before!"), since hadn't had a chance to get to it myself. Irresistible cover pic for a book group, but don't know if what's inside would live up. Both the Gur and the Mishani are all over AbeBooks, and Gur is in the National Emergency Library as well (if that's still available in July).

Up to you, Debra. Which one do you choose? 😃

message 24: by Stacey B (new)

Jan wrote: "debra luger wrote: "...We're reading locally (through Abe's) Our libraries are showing no signs of opening.... :(
Could try a Batya Gur mystery (though have been underwhelmed by several including t..."

I just looked them up and read both. Gave them 4 stars

message 25: by Jan (new)

Charles wrote: "I highly recommend "The Warsaw Anagrams," by Richard Zimmler. It's a powerful, well written murder mystery when Jews in Warsaw were being detained in the Warsaw Ghetto. The pace is intense. Judaism..."

The Warsaw Anagrams
Thanks, Charles. A lot of rave reviews on this one. I saw yours among them and didn't read too closely, just in case a spoiler. 😉 Plus available on Amazon Marketplace, AbeBooks -- and the National Emergency Library!

message 26: by Jan (new)

Re relatively unknown books by new authors hoping to become established: I had an idea last night. How about taking that as a category, maybe yearly? "Undiscovered gems" or something like that? That would give them a chance without permitting routine nomination of such books. (See my comment No. 14 above.) Thoughts, anybody?

message 27: by Stacey B (new)

I agree. Great idea Jan.

message 28: by Jan (new)

Stacey wrote: "...debra luger wrote: ... Could try a Batya Gur mystery (though have been underwhelmed by several..."
"I just looked them up and read both. Gave them 4 stars

Yay! Whichever Debra chooses can be nomination No. 4.

And then if M gets back to us, we'll have one from that series as well. I came across Brina's review of Ritual Bath since it had the most likes, and I asked her the same thing I asked M.
We're getting there!

message 29: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (goodreadscompamela_sampson) | 24 comments Jan wrote: "Re relatively unknown books by new authors hoping to become established: I had an idea last night. How about taking that as a category, maybe yearly? "Undiscovered gems" or something like that? Tha..."

Jan wrote: "Okay, group, we have two nominations for books by little-known authors, Nine-Tenths of the Law and An Old Man's Game. The second is at least a bona fide detective story. These are not the author's ..."

Good idea, Jan

message 30: by Jan (new)

Thanks, Pamela and Stacey! ☼

message 31: by Louise (new)

Louise (louisekf) | 20 comments I also love the Faye Kellerman series that starts with Ritual Bath. I tend to be obsessive about reading a series in order so this may not be a great choice unless we start with book one. Not sure how many people have read these.

On another note, I love the idea of new or undiscovered authors as a separate read.

message 32: by Jan (new)

Louise wrote: "I also love the Faye Kellerman series that starts with Ritual Bath. I tend to be obsessive about reading a series in order so this may not be a great choice unless we start with book one. Not sure ..."

Thanks, Louise. Then maybe we should go with Ritual Bath after all. No one is suggesting a sub so far, and maybe that's why. ...And, as a matter of fact, I haven't read it!

message 33: by debra (new)

debra  L | 96 comments Jan wrote: "debra luger wrote: "...We're reading locally (through Abe's) Our libraries are showing no signs of opening.... :(
Could try a Batya Gur mystery (though have been underwhelmed by several including t..."

Jan wrote: "debra luger wrote: "...We're reading locally (through Abe's) Our libraries are showing no signs of opening.... :(

Id go for Mishani, Possibility of Violence, though i've never read his work. (But have read several batya gur and just felt "eh"... )

message 34: by Jan (new)

debra luger wrote: "...Id go for Mishani, Possibility of Violence, though i've never read his work. (But have read several batya gur and just felt "eh"... ) "

Okay, Mishani it is. A Possibility of Violence
Thanks, Debra!

message 35: by Jan (new)

Any other nominations for a mystery or detective story? By an author who's established and has some readers?
We could use one more!

Asylum City
Ten Years Gone
The Warsaw Anagrams
A Possibility of Violence
The Ritual Bath

message 36: by Jan (new)

Nominations to close at 6:00 PM Eastern.

message 37: by Stacey B (new)

As moderators, Jan and I don't nominate books.
However- to get the ball rolling- in case people are busy during this long weekend; does anyone mind if nominate a book?
The Golden Peacock: a Rainee Allen mystery.. by Lauren Grossman
(?)
Should another nomination be requested, mine will be removed.
I am still under the "Stay Home" order. Many are not

message 38: by Stacey B (new)

debra luger wrote: "Great book! Though agree, not really a mystery per se, the line between mystery and thriller is thin at times. The book does have Jewish characters and the subject matter is relatable to jewish rea..."
I also had a debate.
It's not the first book she has written re jewish content.
The unspoken mandate for JBCouncil is that if you are a jewish author, the content is wide open. If you are not a jewish author, you must have some jewish content in your book.
But... the question becomes- How much is "some" jewish content?
I know a book was accepted by JBCouncil a year or two ago that had about a paragraph of total jewish content.
The flip side there is the mission statement is to promote and keep alive jewish culture.
With all the creativity and topics out there for authors to write about, it's almost a compliment when this happens.
Kate Quinn has spoken at numerous jewish organizations and temples, and the Jewish Public Library. etc
For arguments sake, one of the reasons she is asked to speaks at these venues, is because it is such a good book,."They" know there will standing room only. :).

message 39: by Susan (new)

Susan I loved the Golden Peacock. The author is my dentist’s wife and they belong to my synagogue. But I would not exactly put it in the genre or criteria for July.

message 40: by Jan (new)

Stacey wrote: "debra luger wrote: "Great book! Though agree, not really a mystery per se, the line between mystery and thriller is thin at times. The book does have Jewish characters and the subject matter is relatable to jewish rea..."
I also had a debate."

Re The Huntress: Good points, Stacey. I myself don't care for it when my local Jewish Book Festival is so influenced by popularity, seemingly before all else!

message 41: by Stacey B (new)

I must remove my nomination of " The Golden Peacock".
My mistake, as I didn't look at the time when I posted it -It was past 6pm. when nominations closed.
On another note.. Susan, which genre do you think it should be under?

message 42: by Stacey B (new)

Jan wrote: "Stacey wrote: "debra luger wrote: "Great book! Though agree, not really a mystery per se, the line between mystery and thriller is thin at times. The book does have Jewish characters and the subjec..."

Jan wrote: "Stacey wrote: "debra luger wrote: "Great book! Though agree, not really a mystery per se, the line between mystery and thriller is thin at times. The book does have Jewish characters and the subjec..."

Jan, I know you didn't care for the book. You know I respect your opinions.
It could very well be that the vast majority loved The Huntress, not by influence, but rather, by recognizing the authors creativity in writing a book people enjoyed.
If all opinions were the same, we would be Stepford readers.. But we joined GR. instead. :)

message 43: by Jan (new)

I didn't think anything was wrong with Stacey's making a nomination, and The Golden Peacock appeared to be a mystery, from what I could tell from glancing at the book blurb. I was thinking the nomination had come in late. At the beginning I just said "end of the day," I think, but in my head was thinking before Shabbat began. Next time will go on and put 6:00 PM if that's what I mean! 🙂

The reason I haven't made nominations is that I've been doing the moderator's choice every other month, so, give somebody else a chance. That's been my thinking. But could need to prime the pump on occasion, maybe.

My issue was that as far as number of readers and apparent genre, I saw little difference in The Golden Peacock & An Old Man's Game, to which I had already said no. Combo of little known and somewhat restricted availability.

So, was I going to accept both nominations, or neither?

Decided to go with neither, to avoid similar situation to next month's book. And when I came back, Stacey had withdrawn that last nomination.

So, Stacey, thanks! 🌺

Going to set up the poll!...

message 44: by Jan (new)

Stacey wrote: "...Jan, I know you didn't care for the book. You know I respe..."

Re The Huntress: It was okay! When it's a future nomination for "action-adventure" or "WWII," we can hash out the part about a Jewish book or not. Or maybe we can hash it out somewhere anyway!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.