Play Book Tag discussion

A Pilgrimage to Eternity: From Canterbury to Rome in Search of a Faith
This topic is about A Pilgrimage to Eternity
Archive: Other Books > A Pilgrimage to Eternity: From Canterbury to Rome in Search of a Faith - Timothy Egan - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Booknblues | 5786 comments After his mother died and his sister-in-law bravely fighting cancer, Timothy Egan decides to take a pilgrimage along the Via Francigena, from Canterbury to Rome, to help him find answers to faith. His goal is to do it all by ground travel although he intends to walk most of the way.

Two things drew me to this book, one I love a slow travel book and two, I am a fan of Timothy Egan and knew I would enjoy it. While I am not deeply religious, I find discussion about religion interesting as long as it does veer into zealotry.

I loved reading this book with a google search handy for looking up places and maps along the way. Egan mixes his adventures, with interesting factoids and history about the places and characters associated with them along the Via Francigena.

Along the way he was joined by his son in Switzerland, his daughter in Northern Italy and his wife as he neared the end of his walk to Rome. I loved when his daughter joined him because she is a bit of a foodie and we were given mouth watering descriptions of the food eaten in Northern Italy.

I would encourage anyone who enjoys Egan and/or slow travel memoirs to read this.

message 2: by forsanolim (new)

forsanolim | 469 comments I've been wanting to read this book for a while now! It sounds like it's something I'd really enjoy, and I think I'll try to get to it soon.

Booknblues | 5786 comments I enjoyed the slow journey across France, Switzerland and through Italy.

message 4: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7498 comments This sounds so interesting to me. Thanks for sharing, I am going to check it out

Booknblues | 5786 comments I suspect that it would work for either death or mental health for next month's challenge. It doesn't have a hiking tag, although it should.