What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Set in early Victorian era tells a story of a Scottish butler and a maid pretending to be wealthy father and daughter in order for the girl to find the man of her dreams. Very funny!

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joe (new)

Joe Hessey | 1 comments I think this book is a Sillhouette Romance or Romance by Candlelight. It starts off where a maid is walking in the highlands of Scotland amongst the heather and she meets a Lord on his horse. They have a conversation of some sort and she falls for him. She goes back to the house/mansion where she works and talks to the butler. The butler tells her she’s as good as anyone and they decide to pretend to be wealthy father and daughter and move to London. This is financed by the butlers gambling habit. He drinks and I remember they got in a pickle at one point and the line is something like “he knew he wouldn’t be in this state for long so acted quickly” meaning he was drunk but was acting sober. He then head butted someone. I also remember them moving into a posh house in London where they had some of the first toilets fitted. They get into lots of scrapes along the way and it’s quite funny. I first read this book around 1989 and it was given to me by my Grandma and was well read so I’m guessing it was probably 1980 onwards. The cover I remember was purple. I would say it’s a historical romantic comedy,

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35106 comments Mod
Joe, that's a good start but you need to add plot details to the topic header (title). We have thousands of romance requests. We close threads with vague headers.

Click the small "edit" link after the header to update it. This only works on the full Desktop website - not the Mobile website or app. (On the Mobile website, there's a "Desktop version" link at the bottom of the page.) Then we can re-open the thread.

message 3: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35106 comments Mod
Thanks for the updating the topic header. This will help searchers and moderators. Re-opening thread.