Play Book Tag discussion

My Lady Jane (The Lady Janies, #1)
This topic is about My Lady Jane
May 2020: Comedy > [Poll Ballot Tally] My Lady Jane by Cynthia Hand et al - 3.5 Stars (rounded down)

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by AJ (new) - rated it 3 stars

AJ Timberlake (ajtimberlake) | 825 comments This book was fun. It took a time in history where the Roman Catholics and the Anglicans were at war with each other, and made it a fantastical story about people with magical abilities who could turn into animals and people who couldn’t. Because it was basically a mockery (in a fun, light-hearted manner of course) of the time I cannot understand why someone would rate it as high as 4 or 5 stars, as I see many people have.

The book reads quickly. Although it’s over 500 pages long, it took me just over 24 hours to finish. I would consider it to be somewhat of a pallet cleanser. If you are looking for a laugh and a book that doesn’t take itself too seriously, this is the book for you.

While fun, I’ll be honest and say that I probably wouldn’t recommend it very often.

Full review:
https://amie-jayne.com/2020/05/review...

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2223 comments I'm one of those that rated it highly and I'm an historian. I had trouble at first because the story of Lady Jane Grey is not a happy one. However, I learned to enjoy the way the story became its own, not necessarily the story of Lady Jane Grey. I liked the way the authors put a little werewolf and some of the story of Ladyhawke (which I always loved). No, its not the story of Lady Jane Grey, nor of Edward whose real story was also quite sad. History was not good to either one of them, but it is in this fun little fable.

message 3: by AJ (new) - rated it 3 stars

AJ Timberlake (ajtimberlake) | 825 comments That's interesting, Barbara. I see why you feel that way. In a lot of ways the book was completely its own tale.

I think in some ways for me it was also the religious aspect of the history. I try not to be too sensitive a person when it comes to religion in literature but in some ways that part of history was reasonably important to my religion and so while I wasn't offended I wasn't thrilled with the way it was portrayed. I am not sure if that makes sense, but it is one of the reasons why I personally went with 3.5 stars and somewhat struggle to understand others high rating of the book.

message 4: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy | 8524 comments I love that the three of this read this this month! I thought it was fun! Perfect cheese!