Play Book Tag discussion

Grounded: A Down to Earth Journey Around the World
This topic is about Grounded
Archive: Other Books > Grounded: A Down to Earth Journey Around the World / Seth Stevenson. 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

LibraryCin | 8639 comments Seth and his girlfriend Rebecca decide they want to travel all the way around the world by surface travel (i.e. no flying). They set out via ships (cargo and cruise), buses, trains (regular speed and bullet trains), and bicycles. Their journey takes them across the Atlantic Ocean, Germany, Estonia, Moscow, across Siberia, down to Japan, China, Cambodia, Thailand, and back east to and across Australia to New Zealand and back to the US. (And I know I’ve missed some places!).

I really enjoyed this (though I disagree on his assessment of cruise ships!). There were some funny moments. Although, despite the leisurely travel pace, there were times where they really seemed rushed, and weren’t able to enjoy where they were. I guess some of it depended on the timing of the travel away from where they were, as it was sometimes difficult to find a way to their next destination, so unless they wanted to wait a week, they might have to continue on right away. He did talk about the different modes of transportation, the history, etc, which I also found interesting.

message 2: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 6206 comments I love this kind of story. I'll have to put it on my wishlist.

message 3: by Theresa (new) - added it

Theresa | 7436 comments Oooh this is right up my alley! Love books like this!

If you are not familiar, Michael Palin did a couple of similar documentary series, with accompanying books. The first is Around the World in 80 days where he mirrors Phineas Fogg's fictional trip. The series is great, as are tge books.

LibraryCin | 8639 comments Theresa wrote: "If you are not familiar, Michael Palin did a couple of similar documentary series, with accompanying books. The first is Around the World in 8..."

Cool! Thank you, I'll take a look!

Stevenson references "Around the World in 80 Days" a number of times, as well.

Be warned that there is very little stopping and enjoying each place. It really is more about the modes of transportation. (A number of people were disappointed in the book because of this.)