You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Chit Chat About Books > Librarian Help

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Camilla (new)

Camilla | 2007 comments This is the thread where you can ask for a new book to be added to the Goodreads database or make requests to edit book data. One of the YLTO group members with librarian status will help you. When asking for a new book to be added, please provide the following information:
* Title
* Author(s) name(s)
* ISBN (or ASIN)
* Publisher
* Publication date
* Format
* Description
* Page count
* Link to book page which includes the cover on a NON-BOOKSELLER site, such as a publisher site, an author site, etc. If linking to a site such as Imgur, Dropbox, etc. please state the original source of the image. No B&N or other bookseller links can be used as sources for covers or other book data, with the exception of Amazon and its subsidiaries.

Alternatively, you can go to the GR librarian group and ask for help there. Here's the link to that group: https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/220

message 2: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 50001 comments Thanks for setting this up, Camilla.

message 3: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14191 comments Hi Camilla! I have one for you. Paris Never Leaves You has had it's release date postponed. It is still listed as June 2nd on GR, but according to the publisher it will now be August 4th. You can see their page here: https://us.macmillan.com/books/978125.... I am able to add a book, but not edit one that's already been added. Thanks!

message 4: by Esther (new)

Esther (nyctale) | 4455 comments Kristie wrote: "Hi Camilla! I have one for you. Paris Never Leaves You has had it's release date postponed. It is still listed as June 2nd on GR, but according to the publisher it will now be Augus..."

done!

message 5: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14191 comments Thanks, Esther!

message 6: by Margo (new)

Margo | 10031 comments Oh thank you Camilla, this is wonderful!

* Title The Edge of Dreams: Molly Murphy - Book 14
* Author(s) name(s) Rhys Bowen
* ISBN (or ASIN) 9780655655541
* Publisher Bolinda/Audible audio
* Publication date 1 Mar 2020
* Format MP3 (112MB)
* Description Fiction:Crime & Thriller
* Duration: 9 Hours 54 min
* Link to book page: https://www.bolinda.com/nz/search/res...

message 7: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited May 18, 2020 10:08AM) (new)

Kristie | 14191 comments I see that one in a search, Margo. Audible: The Edge of Dreams MP3 CD: The Edge of Dreams The Audible version doesn't have an ISBN attached, so maybe that's the one you're looking for? It's possible, of course that it's a different edition. The ones linked have different pub dates.

message 8: by Camilla (last edited May 18, 2020 11:18AM) (new)

Camilla | 2007 comments Kristie wrote: "I see that one in a search, Margo."

Are you sure, Kristie? A search with that ISBN doesn't find anything when I search. And the Audible edition that you linked to has a different cover in addition to a different pub date. Audible editions usually have an ASIN, not an ISBN (like the Audible edition you linked to; an edition cannot have both an ASIN and an ISBN).

ETA: added The Edge of Dreams (Molly Murphy Mysteries, #14) by Rhys Bowen

ETA2: and what a nice train on the cover for the trivia challenge!

message 9: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14191 comments Camilla wrote: "Kristie wrote: "I see that one in a search, Margo."

Are you sure, Kristie? A search with that ISBN doesn't find anything when I search. And the Audible edition that you linked to has a different c..."

Nope, not sure at all. That's why I qualified it the way I did. I was just wondering if she was having a difficult time finding the book at all or that specific edition. Thanks for adding it. Clearly I should leave this thread to the professionals. ;)

message 10: by Margo (new)

Margo | 10031 comments Camilla wrote: "Kristie wrote: "I see that one in a search, Margo."

Are you sure, Kristie? A search with that ISBN doesn't find anything when I search. And the Audible edition that you linked to has a different c..."

Thank you very much Camilla. It's a shoe-in for that task so when I spotted it on my library site then couldn't find it on GR I was gutted!

message 11: by Lanelle (last edited May 31, 2020 05:15PM) (new)

Lanelle | 3205 comments Could a librarian edit the page number for the Kindle edition of Evans Above, please? According to Amazon, the page number should be 245, not 167.
link to the book's page on Amazon

message 12: by Camilla (new)

Camilla | 2007 comments #11 number of pages corrected.

message 13: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3205 comments Camilla wrote: "#11 number of pages corrected."

Thank you so much, Camilla.

message 14: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3205 comments Could a librarian edit the page number for the Kindle edition of Valor, please? According to Amazon, the page number should be 219, not 155.

message 15: by Esther (new)

Esther (nyctale) | 4455 comments Lanelle wrote: "Could a librarian edit the page number for the Kindle edition of Valor, please? According to Amazon, the page number should be 219, not 155.
link to the book's page on Amazon"

done

message 16: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14191 comments Could you also fix the page count for The Terrible Two's Last Laugh? The one I linked is the hardcover edition and has the same ISBN # as the Amazon page linked. It should be 224 pages, not 144. https://www.amazon.com/Terrible-Twos-...

message 17: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3205 comments Esther wrote: "done"

Thank you so much, Esther.

message 18: by Camilla (new)

Camilla | 2007 comments Kristie wrote: "Could you also fix the page count for The Terrible Two's Last Laugh? The one I linked is the hardcover edition and has the same ISBN # as the Amazon page linked. It should be 224 pa..."

Done. The info from Amazon is not always reliable or in sync with the GR definition of page count when it comes to paper books, WorldCat is a better source.

message 19: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 14191 comments Thanks, Camilla. I actually have the physical book from the library, which is how I knew the Goodreads numbers were off.

message 20: by Camilla (new)

Camilla | 2007 comments Kristie wrote: "Thanks, Camilla. I actually have the physical book from the library, which is how I knew the Goodreads numbers were off."

Yes, I thought as much, that was more of a general comment, since you linked to the Amazon page.

message 21: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20275 comments I have a physical book from my library that I have been reading.
This is the link from Amazon, showing the actual book with the cover and the information. https://www.amazon.com/Hamlet-Trap-Ka...

The only book showing in GR, with a cover, is this one, but it does not have a page count, and is a different edition than the book I have. The Hamlet Trap

This link is actually the book I have from my library. The Hamlet Trap. Could a librarian please update the cover for it?

message 22: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17562 comments Done :)

message 23: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20275 comments Rusalka wrote: "Done :)"

I do not see that anything in GR has changed - yet???

message 24: by Camilla (new)

Camilla | 2007 comments Cherie wrote: "I do not see that anything in GR has changed - yet???"

Done. Do you know the format? Currently it says unknown binding.

message 25: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20275 comments I have the hard copy print version that I posted in the Amazon link in my first post. St. Martin’s Press New York. ISBN 0-312-940-9. It is a First Edition. Copyright 1987

The jacket design is by John Fontana

message 26: by Camilla (new)

Camilla | 2007 comments Cherie wrote: "I have the hard copy print version that I posted in the Amazon link in my first post. St. Martin’s Press New York. ISBN 0-312-940-9. It is a First Edition. Copyright 1987
The jacket design is by J..."

Thank you Cherie, format corrected to HC. I've noticed that the formats on Amazon aren't always 100% realiable and I was too lazy to search on WorldCat. According to GR rules, the jacket designer is not credited.

message 27: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20275 comments Camilla wrote: "Cherie wrote: "I have the hard copy print version that I posted in the Amazon link in my first post. St. Martin’s Press New York. ISBN 0-312-940-9. It is a First Edition. Copyright 1987
The jacket ..."

Thank you so much, Camilla! Now, I can update my yearly challenge with the actual book I read with the all important cover visible.

message 28: by Janice, Moderator (last edited Feb 01, 2021 12:43PM) (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 50001 comments It appears that there is a duplication:

Empire of the Wild (book number 56803464) is a coverless edition. The main book page does not list any other editions. There are very few ratings on this book.

If you click on the author's name, you see Empire of the Wild (book number 45024447) listed AND further down on the list, you get the coverless edition. Book 45024447 appears to be the correct book showing 18 editions and lots of activity.

Could a librarian look into this, please? It looks like the orphan book needs to be combined with the main book.

message 29: by Camilla (new)

Camilla | 2007 comments Janice, it looks like somebody has taken care of it, they are combined and showing a total of 19 editions. The coverless edition you linked to has a cover now as well.

FYI, it's not necessary to give the book numbers to librarians, the books aren't searchable by them. A link to the book - as you did - is the best way.

message 30: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 50001 comments Thanks Camilla.

message 31: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (caveatlector) | 1731 comments Yes, sorry. That was me. I forgot to come back and say I had done it. I noticed the ISBN was missing numbers when I went searching for a cover for the orphan book and I wanted to fix it.

message 32: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 50001 comments Thanks Dawn. It's so great we have librarians in the group that can fix things for us. :)

message 33: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 2316 comments And it was a great book, so thanks everybody

message 34: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3205 comments Could a librarian edit the page number for the paperback edition of Death in a Teacup, please? According to Amazon, the page number is 192. (I checked WorldCat. It has the book but doesn't give a page number.)

message 35: by Camilla (new)

Camilla | 2007 comments Lanelle, can you confirm that the number of pages is indeed 192? Book in hand is better than Amazon (their nr of pages often includes pages that are not counted as per GR guidelines). I found only the ebook edition in Worldcat, but none with this ISBN.

message 36: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3205 comments Camilla wrote: "Lanelle, can you confirm that the number of pages is indeed 192? Book in hand is better than Amazon (their nr of pages often includes pages that are not counted as per GR guidelines). I found only ..."

Unfortunately, I can't. I'm only going by what Amazon says.

message 37: by Camilla (new)

Camilla | 2007 comments Okay, I added 192 pages based on Amazon.

message 38: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3205 comments Camilla wrote: "Okay, I added 192 pages based on Amazon."

Thank you, Camilla.

message 39: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 50001 comments I purchased A Good Girl's Guide to Murder. This particular issue is published in North America. The original book was published in the UK. Goodreads lists the setting as the UK but the books published in North America were amended and set in Connecticut. Could the book details be corrected?

Here I was thinking I'd be able to use this book for the UK setting task in the Museum Challenge. Thankfully it fits elsewhere.

message 40: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3205 comments Could a librarian add the page numbers for The Girl with the Pirate Smile: A Christmas Tale, please? According to Amazon, the page number for the paperback is 280, and the page number for the Kindle version is 282.

I checked WorldCat. I couldn't find it there.

link to its page on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Girl-Pirate-Sm...

message 41: by Camilla (new)

Camilla | 2007 comments #40 nr of pages added to both editions

message 42: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3205 comments Camilla wrote: "#40 nr of pages added to both editions"

Thank you so much, Camilla.

message 43: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3205 comments Can a librarian add another edition of A Gift of Thought, please? It looks like there's a new publication date, page number, and cover.

Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/Gift-Thought-T...

message 44: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) | 135 comments I'll do it if it will let me. They've had a lot of librarian features off this week while they do maintenance. Gimme a sec.

message 45: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) | 135 comments It appears to have saved, and I didn't get the "down for maintenance" error. :)

message 46: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3205 comments Jennifer wrote: "It appears to have saved, and I didn't get the "down for maintenance" error. :)"

Thank you so much, Jennifer!

message 47: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3205 comments Could a librarian please add the page number to the paperback version of Murder While I Smile, please?

WorldCat says it has 217 pages.
https://www.worldcat.org/title/murder...

message 48: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) | 135 comments I’ll get it.

message 49: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jhaltenburger) | 135 comments Done

message 50: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3205 comments Thank you, Jennifer!