The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

ARCHIVE - Buddy Reads 2020 > Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mariana (new)

Mariana Campbell | 27 comments I read the description of Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi in the book of the month voting and thought it sounded very interesting but it unfortunately didn’t win. Anyone would like to read it here instead?

message 2: by Destiny (new)

Destiny Rene (destinyrene) | 4 comments I would love to read it actually. It was on my TBR after I saw the description. When do you want to start(if you want too)?

message 3: by Marisa (new)

Marisa | 11 comments I'm about to start - I'd love to read with others!

message 4: by Marisa (new)

Marisa | 11 comments I agree - when do you want to start?! I have my copy ready here

message 5: by Mariana (new)

Mariana Campbell | 27 comments What if we said start June 1st is that too late or too soon?

message 6: by Marisa (new)

Marisa | 11 comments I'm ready now, but I'm also happy to wait until then if that's what suits you guys. I can read another one first! so excited - I've never buddy read with anyone before!

message 7: by Destiny (new)

Destiny Rene (destinyrene) | 4 comments You guys go ahead and choose. I’ll apologize now though seeing as I already started it. I’ll gladly stop till you both are ready to read it though. So, you guys can pick whenever is best for you. Sorry again.

message 8: by Marisa (new)

Marisa | 11 comments Mariana what works for you?

message 9: by Mariana (new)

Mariana Campbell | 27 comments It sounds like everyone is ready so I can start now too. That works for me just fine.

message 10: by Mariana (new)

Mariana Campbell | 27 comments I’ll download the book tonight so we can start.

message 11: by Marisa (new)

Marisa | 11 comments yay!!!

message 12: by Marisa (new)

Marisa | 11 comments where are you guys up to?! I've got up to the chapter 'Esi'. Loving it so far .... at first I thought I wouldn't be able to cope, because of the mum - what a piece of work (don't wanna spoil) - but I'm really loving it so far. Some interesting themes developing already

message 13: by Mariana (new)

Mariana Campbell | 27 comments I have just gotten to Esi. I loved the chapter for Effia. It’s very interesting so far. I agree about the mom, but as the story went and the pieces were being put together it made more sense. Not justifiable, but made sense. I thought James was also so interesting, a very complex character so I’m interested to see what he and Effia do next.

message 14: by Marisa (new)

Marisa | 11 comments I'm up to Esi also - and yes, I agree - makes more sense as the pieces have come together. And YES I'm intrigued how the two sisters come together (I presume) and to see how James develops, as there's a bit of foreshadowing to his 'other side'. How horrific is the history of mankind?!

message 15: by Mariana (new)

Mariana Campbell | 27 comments I just finished Esi and tat was a vey difficult chapter. It’s very horrific at times. I was actually slower at understanding they were sisters but now I’m even more intrigued.

message 16: by Marisa (new)

Marisa | 11 comments sorry I shouldn't have put a spoiler in! I think I read it in a review somewhere also. Oh my gosh, how confronting is this. I don't think I've ever read a book that outlines what happens at ground level - ie the way they steal, hold and transport people like cattle. I've only ever read books on slavery from the perspective of slaves in white households in America. I'm finding this to be SUCH a good read, but I'm not dying to to pick up because it's heavy.

message 17: by Mariana (new)

Mariana Campbell | 27 comments Haha yes! I’m actually reading at a bit of a slower pace than normal because I need a break often. I’ve never read a book about this part of slavery either. I’ve read from the point of being sold and on as well. It is horrific. I have such a hard time understanding the thought process of making it ok. I’m a little surprised at how fast things are moving too. I thought we would spend more time with Esi and Effia but we jump right into Quey, so I’m wondering what’s next. We must go through many generations at this pace.

Btw Destiny - You mentioned you wanted to read with us and had already started. Do you still want to? Are you caught up with us?

message 18: by Marisa (new)

Marisa | 11 comments I'm with you - it's a slower read for me than usual, although I'm up to Abena. Very timely subject matter, isn't it?
I've found it really annoying that I get invested in a character's story (because she's a great author), and then the author moves on. Argh! so I've decided to view this novel as a series of interconnected short stories so I won't get so irritated.

message 19: by Marisa (new)

Marisa | 11 comments But I understand why she's done it, to give us an idea of the scope of the horror that slavery/racism/white supremacy is. And yes Destiny would love to hear your thoughts if you're still reading!

message 20: by Mariana (new)

Mariana Campbell | 27 comments I’m very slow lol I just got to James. I agree that I wish I could know more about each character and spend more time with. Then at other times I like that I get to enjoy so many points of view.

message 21: by Mariana (new)

Mariana Campbell | 27 comments I have finally made to Abena. Where are you all? They’re all heartbreaking stories but Kojo really bothered me. It made me think of 12 Years a Slave and I kept feeling my blood boil. I’m sure the next in his story will interesting. Have you read 12 Years a Slave?