Play Book Tag discussion

Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe
May 2020: Comedy > Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg - 3.5 stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Teodora Paslaru | 149 comments 3.5* rounded up

It was hard to rate this book. There were indeed a few passages and some quotes that would've deserved 5*. However, I found it hard to get into this book with so many narratives and time frames and points of view. It might not be the book's fault but mine. I'm a fan of chronology and of knowing straight away what a book is about. Let's say I'm more into modern literature, and this isn't exactly modern. Still, I enjoyed it quite a lot, and I can't deny it was a good book. And if told any way else, the story wouldn't have had half the same effect. So I understand why the author did what it did with this book, and I agree with her. The rest is on me.

Apart from the writing, I found the story to be quite modern for the time it was written, and it touched a lot of difficult subjects like gender identity, sexual orientation, and race. It often made me laugh, sometimes because of the situation described, sometimes simply because of the writing. It had a way of putting a smile on my face.

It's hard to say more about this book. You'll have to read it and form your own opinion.

David Putnam (davidputnam) | 283 comments very nice review. Fannie Flag was in my read and critique group, (before I arrived on scene) and she dedicated this book to my writing mentor.
;-)
d.