Writing Buddies discussion

Do you want a reliable writing buddy?

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Victoria (last edited May 18, 2020 10:58AM) (new)

Victoria | 2 comments 1. Victoria
2. YA contemporary
3. South Carolina
4. I write with publication in mind and hope you do too.
5. Desirable Traits: Someone working on a novel; Wants weekly check-ins via phone, SKYPE or ZOOM. Does not want critique. Good at giving encouragement and tough love.
6.Contact info: please leave a comment below.
Let's help each other stay on track and finish our work!

message 2: by Steve (new)

Steve Rossiter | 2 comments Hi Vicki,

My name is Steve, I`m 60 years old and I live on the south coast of England. I am working on my first crime novel and I am lucky enough to spend a couple of hours every day on it. I am happy to do a weekly Zoom call with you and discuss where you are with your writing and perhaps you could help me out with some background information on my novel, which is set in Charleston. It is a city that I visited several years ago and I was hoping to go back this year but the pandemic has stopped that.

Let me know your thoughts.

Best Regards,

Steve Rossiter

message 3: by Victoria (new)

Victoria | 2 comments Hi Steve,

Thanks for reaching out. You and I are about the same age. It's great you're writing a crime novel and have plenty of time to work on it. I'm a fairly recent transplant to Charleston and will be glad to share what I know. I hope you will have a chance to visit the city again, when it's safe.

I write a couple hours a day several days a week. As mentioned, my project is a young adult novel. I generally avoid talking about a story while it's in process. Instead I hope to focus on the writing craft and discuss any technical difficulties I may be having (e.g. how to structure a particular scene, create distinctive point of view characters, weave in description in a way that isn't overbearing...things like that.) I believe good storytelling presents common challenges for all writers, regardless of genre.

If that interests you, please let me know. Maybe we can try a call on Zoom next week and see where it leads.

Take care,
Victoria

message 4: by Steve (new)

Steve Rossiter | 2 comments Hi Victoria,

Thanks for replying.

I agree that writing in any genre presents many challenges. I am very fortunate to be blessed with story ideas. I already have the second and third novels mapped out and other storylines are also in the planning stages. I find that if I have a case of writers block with the current novel then I write something else and come back to the first novel a week later. Other writers will obviously take their own approach.

It is interesting that you mention weaving description that isn`t overbearing because that is something I need to work on. I don`t necessarily have a problem with dialogue but it`s what comes after that I also need to pay attention to.

Zoom is new to me, only used it once to contact my brother who lives in Spain. But happy to give it a try. We are 5 hours in front of you so will have to come to an agreed time.

If you want to contact me outside the writing buddies page then my direct email is stephen.rossiter@ymail.com

All the best and keep safe,

Steve