Play Book Tag discussion

The Unhoneymooners
This topic is about The Unhoneymooners
May 2020: Comedy > [pb]The Unhoneymooners by Christina Lauren, 4.5 stars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by NancyJ (last edited May 17, 2020 01:44AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4988 comments When I first read the description of this book, I said to myself “I’ve seen this story before and I know how it ends.” There are only so many plots in romantic comedy, so the details and execution have to be really good. And they were. I thoroughly enjoyed this story.

Everyone at Ami's wedding got sick from the shellfish except Olive, the Maid of Honor, and Ethan,the Best Man. The bride and groom were too sick to go on their dream honeymoon, so they convinced Olive and Ethan to go in their place. The problem is, Olive and Ethan hate each other. I know, it sounds predictable, right? This type of plot requires a lot of witty banter and gentle sparring as the characters test one another’s intelligence, humor and character. They're not exactly Lizzie and Darcy, but the dialogue was clever, modern, and entertaining. They start to respect one another, and respect leads to ... well, you know. The story gets complicated and real, and it doesn't end with the honeymoon in a tidy bow. I was pleased that the authors gave me a few surprises along the way. The character development was very good for the female characters (but less so for the men). The career issues and family relationships added other dimensions to the story.

I felt jaded and bored by romance novels in the past, but these authors make me want to come back for more.

message 2: by David (new) - added it

David Putnam (davidputnam) | 279 comments Great review, I loved this book. ;-)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4988 comments Thanks David. I'm glad you loved it too.

message 4: by annapi (new)

annapi | 4911 comments I started this, but I got really irritated with Olive, so I dropped it for awhile. I suppose I'll eventually get back to it.

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4988 comments annapi wrote: "I started this, but I got really irritated with Olive, so I dropped it for awhile. I suppose I'll eventually get back to it."

I can understand that. I was getting mad at her, but then I started to like that she was a realistic person. She sometimes jumps to conclusions, makes mistakes, and judges others for their mistakes. I liked that the author pointed out thinking errors that everyone makes without realizing it.