What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Book of Joby
This topic is about The Book of Joby
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Fantasy. Kid/young adult is watched over by God and Satan. They have a bet on his life/decisions that he doesn't know about. [s]

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andy (last edited May 21, 2020 09:59AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Andy Racic (andyracic) | 2 comments Solved! - The Book of Joby

I read this in 2008 or 2009.

Set in contemporary America. Protagonist is male, we're with him from mid/late childhood through early adulthood.

*Spoilers below*

Protagonist may be King Arthur reincarnated, but he doesn't know it. God and Satan exist, they directly and indirectly interfere with our protagonist. Our protagonist doesn't know their deities, only knows their human avatars. God is looking out for him / helping him along the way. Relatively early on in his life (middle/ high school maybe) we get introduced to some demon/the devil who is either just a prominent person/peer in his life, or maybe someone who ingratiates himself and becomes a best friend.

At the end, we learn that our protagonist's life was a bet between God and Satan.

Plot points I vaguely remember-

When the protagonist is in college/very young, he and his girlfriend go to a Halloween party. His costume has a mask/facial covering that for plot/story reasons I can't remember end up making him have a really crappy night.

When the devil gets called out by God, there's some line like "GB has another meaning other than Golden Boy... goddamn bastard."

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35714 comments Mod
Andy, is this fantasy novel for teens or adults?

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

The Book of Joby

“ Lucifer and the Creator have entered, yet again, into a wager they've made many times before, but this time, the existence of creation itself is balanced on the outcome. Born in California during the twilight years of a weary millennium, nine year old Joby Peterson dreams of blazing like a bonfire against the gathering darkness of his times, like a knight of the Round Table. Instead, he is subjected to a life of crippling self-doubt and relentless mediocrity inflicted by an enemy he did nothing to earn and cannot begin to comprehend.”

♡ calliope ♡ (candlesandcrystals) I'm pretty sure that this is "The book of Joby"

♡ calliope ♡ (candlesandcrystals) Fantasy. Kid/young adult is watched over by God and Satan. They have a bet on his life/decisions that he doesn't know about (this is the book of joby)

message 6: by Ingo (last edited May 21, 2020 01:48AM) (new)

Ingo (ilembcke) | 625 comments Somehow I am surprised, that no one suggested Reading the first comment just now, this is not the book the OP searches for, as the Boy (the MC) is the son of Satan (Devil), not King Athur reincarnated:
Good Omens The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch by Terry Pratchett Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch
Also filmed as TV-Series for Amazon Prime.

It has been some time that I read this, and a re-reading was planned, but I could not get into it a few months ago, so I paused.
Not so sure that I would recommend it now, but then my tastes have changed during the years. Also did not watch the TV-series (yet) after 1-2 episodes.

Goodreads lists it as published first 1990, so that would be ok.

Andy Racic (andyracic) | 2 comments @Lori that's it! Thank you! + credit to Callie who was only 4 minutes later.