Friendlyjordies & Jordan Shanks Book Club discussion

FJ/Jordan Shanks discussions > Friendlyjordies Books

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Grant (new)

Grant (groanchomsky) | 8 comments Mod
Please post books I may have missed that are mentioned on the Friendlyjordies YouTube channel.

message 2: by Hugh (new)

Hugh | 2 comments I vaguely remember he mentioned a book ages ago that was about how the isms (eg. communism, capitalism) and political divisions (eg. left, right) don't exactly matter. Gonna be honest don't exactly but keen to find out

message 3: by Toby (new)

Toby | 3 comments As a teenager I read

"The House that Was Eureka" by Nadia Wheatley

It was what first got me interested in the union movement in Australia and what unions had helped achieve.

message 4: by Kaelan (new)

Kaelan | 4 comments Is there any books that talk about Jack Lang I always hear Jordan talk about him in Podcasts

message 5: by Grant (new)

There are Jack Lang books, there's a biography and one about the great depression and a few other I believe, some may not be in print and are hard to find on here. Defo have google and see whats there.

message 6: by Bo (new)

Bo | 2 comments Hugh wrote: "I vaguely remember he mentioned a book ages ago that was about how the isms (eg. communism, capitalism) and political divisions (eg. left, right) don't exactly matter. Gonna be honest don't exactly..."

Hugh, I'm also keen to read this one.

message 7: by Bo (new)

Bo | 2 comments Hugh I did a search and found something that explains this. I don't know if it is specifically what Jordan referenced but it's a nice concise read in the meantime. It's an essay called Politics and the English Language by George Orwell. It's free to read online if you search it.

message 8: by Hugh (new)

Hugh | 2 comments Bo-Jangles wrote: "Hugh I did a search and found something that explains this. I don't know if it is specifically what Jordan referenced but it's a nice concise read in the meantime. It's an essay called Politics and..."

Thanks! Will give it a look. Orwell is great, Notes on Nationalism is a good pick too.

message 9: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Lasek | 5 comments THE NEW SOCIAL CONTRACT: Renewing the liberal vision for Australia by Tim Wilson

/\ This book was featured on a recent story on the FriendlyJordies Instagram account

message 10: by Ryan (last edited Aug 01, 2020 06:27PM) (new)

Ryan Lasek | 5 comments "Superpower: Australia's Low-Carbon Opportunity by Ross Garnaut"

/\ This book was mentioned by Jordan in his interview with Tanya Plibersek https://youtu.be/BzMrZykvCO4?t=2485

message 11: by Grant (new)

I believe I already have that on the list but thank you for following along with the vids. Keep it up. I'm gonna talk to Jordan this week to add more books.

message 12: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Lasek | 5 comments "A Bigger Picture by Malcolm Turnbull"

was referenced in his video "Scomo" https://youtu.be/oZXvGfoV0uo?t=973

message 13: by Grant (new)

Ryan wrote: ""A Bigger Picture by Malcolm Turnbull"

was referenced in his video "Scomo" https://youtu.be/oZXvGfoV0uo?t=973"

Thank you. I must say though, having read it, OMG it's painful. The second half is worth the read as an insight into how dumb most of the liberals are but Malcolm does love a revisionist history around the NBN lol.

message 14: by Nicholas (new)

Nicholas | 2 comments Kaelan wrote: "Is there any books that talk about Jack Lang I always hear Jordan talk about him in Podcasts"
His books, in order, are:
"I Remember", "The Great Bust", "The Turbulent Years"
Got all of them 2nd hand recently, you won't find them new. Just gotta shop around. Paid under $100 all up.

message 15: by Dean (new)

Dean Francis (deanfra) | 1 comments I'm always keyed into the geopolitical and history books that Jordan and Ali mutually recommend. I keep forgetting to keep track of them but here are a few:

"Pakistan: A Hard Country" by Anatol Lieven

On African colonialism:
"The Wretched of the Earth" by Frantz Fanon

There was one podcast about the history of the Congo, I forget which book was recommended but this one covered the same events:
"King Leopold's Ghost" by Adam Hochschild

message 16: by Kaelan (new)

Kaelan | 4 comments has anyone read inside the greens

message 17: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin | 1 comments Nicholas wrote: "Kaelan wrote: "Is there any books that talk about Jack Lang I always hear Jordan talk about him in Podcasts"
"I Remember", "The Great Bust", "The Turbulent Years"
Got all ..."

Heads up "I Remember" is pretty racist so be ready for that.

eg.

Chapter 6 - White Australia saved Australia

Chapter 13 - White Australia Policy k.o.'d Conscription

Opening to one of the chapters --
"White Australia must not be regarded as a mere political shibboleth. It was Australia's Magna Carta. Without that policy, this country would have been lost long ere this. It would have been engulfed in an Asian tidal wave. There would have been no need for the Japanese to invade this country. We would have been swallowed up by the rolling advance of a horde of coloured people, anxious to escape the privations of their own countries and prepared to impose their own standards on this country."

According to Wikipedia even the Labor party had abandoned this sorta stuff when Lang wrote it.

message 18: by Nicholas (new)

Nicholas | 2 comments Benjamin wrote: "Nicholas wrote: "Kaelan wrote: "Is there any books that talk about Jack Lang I always hear Jordan talk about him in Podcasts"
"I Remember", "The Great Bust", "The Turbulen..."

Appreciate the warning. Can't say I'm too shocked at "old man was racist" but still disappointing, especially that it was that big of a thing for him. On the bright side, I'll get through the book quicker being able to just skim all the racist shit instead of actually taking the time to try and absorb the information lol