What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Johnny Tremain
This topic is about Johnny Tremain
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Children's book about child in American War of Independence (possible spoiler) [s]

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Alan (alanjc) | 178 comments Age group: children / teens
Genre: historical
Date: 1980s or earlier (read it mid to late 80s).
Origin: probably American.
Plot details (so far as I can remember):
The book is in some way about the American War of Independence. The protagonist is a kid/teen who, at some point, works as a blacksmith or iron worker. He is badly burnt in an accident with hot metal. He is out of it for a long time on laudanum, but recovers. However, the treatment leaves some of his fingers fused together. Eventually, he has his fingers separated - without anaesthetic, of course.

I seem to recall the guy who examines his fused hand asking "Is it God's will?", meaning was he born that way or was it a result of being injured. This is the only sharp detail I can remember.

There is some possibility that I have confused two different books (one about the War of Independence, another with the accident and fused fingers), but will start with this.

message 3: by SamSpayedPI (new)

SamSpayedPI | 2069 comments Rosa wrote: "Johnny Tremain?"

Definitely Johnny Tremain.

message 4: by Alan (last edited May 23, 2020 08:46PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Alan (alanjc) | 178 comments SOLVED.

Yes, definitely Johnny Tremain.

Was actually a silversmith, not a blacksmith.

Good book, older than I thought. Unusual thing to find at an Australian primary (elementary) school - American history is not a big thing over here.

Thanks Rosa and SamSpayedPI.

message 5: by Rosa (new) - added it

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5198 comments You're welcome. I may actually finish that book someday.