The Sword and Laser discussion

Book Picks Data Viz!

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new)

Amy | 4 comments Hi everyone! This is my first time posting to the discussion forum so let me know if I need to repost to fix it.

I was intrigued by the most recent episode (#381) referencing the data viz posts on the book picks. I'm a huge data nerd so I made a few visualizations and published them to Tableau Public where anyone can access them. Check it out and let me know what you think. (https://public.tableau.com/profile/am...)

To create this, I downloaded the main list of book pics from the wiki stats page and then manually looked up some other interesting tidbits like author birthplace, publication date, author gender (best guess!), and book picker. I've saved all of this in a git hub repository. If you want to add data features or help keep it up to date, feel free to make a pull request (https://github.com/amyewing/SwordLase...).

I plan to add more to the data viz over time as we add more features and the list of book picks expands.

message 2: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4117 comments I LOVE IT

message 4: by Mark (new)

Mark (markmtz) | 2229 comments WOW! very nice

message 5: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8152 comments Interesting coolness.

message 6: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

Tassie Dave | 3491 comments Mod
Good job.

Some mistakes I did notice. With so many books it is easy to make a few.

You have Charlie Jane Anders as male. She is transgender and recognises as female.
Peter Watts was born in Canada
Guy Gavriel Kay was born in Canada
Richard Morgan was born in England

You have no data for Amal El-Mohtar co-author of This Is How You Lose the Time War. She was born in Canada

message 7: by Amy (new)

Amy | 4 comments Thanks for the corrections! I had especially struggled trying to figure out Charlie Jane Anders. I'll get those birthplaces updated later today.

For now I don't have any co-author info loaded - only the primary author. I need to explore Tableau Public data model capabilities. I use different software at work generally. What are your thoughts on double counting books with two+ authors?

message 8: by Amy (new)

Amy | 4 comments After some exploration and thought, I decided to double count books for co-authors but only in visuals where it's showing the author demographics. Fortunately, this is pretty straightforward to accomplish. Hoping to have this updated in the viz tomorrow.

message 9: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

I struggled with how to count the co-authored books in my own stats.

I was going with the 1 stat for each book, which worked for "Leviathan Wakes" (American Male authored book) and "Good Omens" (UK Male Authored book)

"Time War" is different as we have both a male author from the US & a female author from Canada.

I had considered having half points, but that looked messy. So I went for 2 stats for that book.

message 10: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

I have added a link to your Visualisations on the S&L wiki statistics page.

https://swordandlaser.fandom.com/wiki...