Our Little Group SSSH discussion

1 view
Black Water Lilies

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shirley (last edited May 20, 2020 06:32AM) (new)

Shirley | 48 comments Mod
It was alright! Surprise ending not really a surprise. Sorry Sarah, just didn’t find it that thrilling, but can see that it is cleverly put together. I hadn’t completely worked out how it all came together in the end but once I’d figured out the basic premise it was just a matter of seeing how, after trying to lead us down the garden path, Bussi would lead us back up. This process felt a bit tedious. Maybe just not my genre 😕

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Brereton | 49 comments Thank you for the review Shirley, your thoughts on the book differ from mine. I loved the book, I enjoy any book with a twist, and felt that this book was fast paced, with surprises throughout. I also could not put this book down after I had started it, for me it was a pleasure to read. I have another of the author's books so will let you know how this compared. Sarah x

message 3: by Shirley (new)

There was no twist. It was obvious what was going on! Just became frustrating that the plot continued to roam off in all sorts of unnecessary directions to continue to put you off track. The ending then just seemed like a disentangling of useless knots and tricks which had been employed to cheat the reader.

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Brereton | 49 comments I think my mind set when reading does not look for a twist, I must have a different way of reading to you Shirley !!! Sarah x

message 5: by Shirley (last edited May 20, 2020 06:11AM) (new)

I don't usually look for a twist either, but if you remember you told me there was a twist in this one before I'd started reading. On the page of reviews at the beginning of the book there is also a comment from the Daily Express stating there is a big reveal at the end. So I think that would suggest that most people reading this will be looking for the 'twist'.
Demoting to two stars, the more I think about this book the less I like it.

message 6: by Shirley (last edited May 20, 2020 06:31AM) (new)

...and another thing. The ending was so ridiculous, to believe that that character would choose to do that at that stage of the plot seemed like sickly romanticism and trite, and also made me wonder why he hadn't had the courage to do that many years before. It just wasn't well thought through, almost like the ending a primary school child would stick on the end of a story. 🤗