The Bloomsbury Group & Friends discussion

British Pubs in Jeopardy

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Silvio111 (new)

Silvio111 | 415 comments Will Britain’s Pubs Survive the Coronavirus? https://nyti.ms/364LIGb

The New York Times has Britain's pubs on its mind.
Having lived in Fells Point in Baltimore, which had a healthy and historic pub culture, I sympathize.

In fact, I empathize because my part of Florida does not seem to have that culture and I really miss it.

message 2: by Joe (new)

Joe | 489 comments Mod
Yes they will survive . They survived the Bombing during WW2 so I'm optimistic .
My family had two Neighborhood taverns , one in Fishtown (Philly) another in Fort Lee NJ and they were activity centers for the community , Bands on weekends, special menus , happy hours, Good times .. lile you Silvio I miss them ., Here in Arkansas there are no corner taverns :(

message 3: by Silvio111 (new)

Silvio111 | 415 comments Joe,
I used to go hear a friend of mine sing in a tavern in Fort Lee! He went by the name i of Trip. this was around 1970, I think. Also, my father would take us out for pizza at a tavern somewhere in New Jersey. And a platter of mussels in spicy red sauce. I was too young for beer. We sat in the part with booths.

Yes, taverns must survive!

message 4: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 138 comments Joe wrote: "Yes they will survive . They survived the Bombing during WW2 so I'm optimistic .
My family had two Neighborhood taverns , one in Fishtown (Philly) another in Fort Lee NJ and they were activity cent..."

I have a good friend who lives in Fishtown. Fort Lee always reminds me of Roseanne Roseannadanna. "A Mr. Richard Feder from Fort Lee, New Jersey, writes..." LOL

message 5: by Silvio111 (new)

Silvio111 | 415 comments Fort Lee is perched on the edge of the cliff (the Palisades) in New Jersey with a view of the iconic George Washington Bridge, the gateway to NYC. My father would always say ,"Shall we take the upper upper bridge or the lower?" The upper gives a better view, but the lower makes all these ominous sounds of the cars above, echoing REALLY LOUD.

I have not thought about this in years. thanks, Joe and Sandra.

And I never heard of Fishtown. must look it up.

message 6: by Joe (last edited Jun 01, 2020 07:14AM) (new)

Joe | 489 comments Mod
Fishtown was the Polish section of Philly , Rough , hard working people. The Penn Tavern was on the corner of Gerard ave & Crease .
Weekends were times for Polka's, Kielbasa & Golumpki's and of course Schmidts Beer . My sister would make her food from scratch in the resturant .I would occasonaly help her get ready for the weekend crowd , Much Fun!

I loved Rosanna Sandra! In Fort Lee we had the Plaza Bar & Grill , it was directly to the right as you came into NJ from the GW Bridge . The Canadian Indians that worked the highrise buildings in NYC would come in on Friday , cash their checks and buy cases & cases of beer for the weekend trip home . I would flip burgers & frys , make sandwiched etc when a young teenager but could not go into the bar area ,

All this many many years ago . Great memories

message 7: by Silvio111 (new)

Silvio111 | 415 comments Well since you have these solid credentials, Joe, I believe you when you say the pubs will survive. For the mental health of our neighborhoods, failure is not an option!

My favorite pub in Baltimore was (is?) the Wharf Rat in Fells Point, which has an1800's-era history of sailors and the beer trade.
The original owner of the Wharf Rat supposedly haunts it. He was fond of playing a record over and over of The Star Spangled Banner and a patron got so sick of it, he shot him. (this was in some earlier century.)

Yes, great memories indeed.

Dare I ask, what is a Golumpki? A dance? A pastry? A drink? Do tell!!!

message 8: by Joe (last edited Jun 01, 2020 04:45PM) (new)

Joe | 489 comments Mod
"Dare I ask, what is?"

"Very Tasty" thats what it is :)

https://foodfolksandfun.net/golumpki/

"Try it... you'll like it"

message 9: by Silvio111 (new)

Silvio111 | 415 comments Aha! sounds delish. I will try. "Golumpki" translates as "pigeon" because they look like a pigeon's chest, the article said. Very imaginative, these Polish grandmas!!!

message 10: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 138 comments We call them "halupkis" or "piggies" here in northeastern Pennsylvania. My Lithuanian grandma used to make them!

message 11: by Joe (new)

Joe | 489 comments Mod
Bon Apetite'