Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Book Clubs! > Books of the Raksura Series by Martha Wells

Comments Showing 1-50 of 64 (64 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Soo (new)

Soo (silverlyn) | 3549 comments The Books of the Raksura
There are five primary books and several short stories.

1) The Cloud Roads
2) The Serpent Sea
3) The Siren Depths
4) The Edge of Worlds
5) The Harbors of the Sun

Whether you're reading the books for the first time or re-reading them, come & hangout while we read the series and chat about the books. =)

We'll start with Cloud Roads and go from there. There will be a general start date, but you can read at your own pace.

- General Start Dates for Books
- Spoiler Tags for Big Spoilers
- Book Title (Later when we're all on different reading cycles or talking about past books/etc.)

message 2: by Soo (new)

Soo (silverlyn) | 3549 comments When shall we start?

message 3: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 14682 comments I should be available by Tuesday/Wednesday at the latest, I think...

message 4: by Soo (new)

Soo (silverlyn) | 3549 comments I'm good whenever. So just let me know and I'll start then too. =)

message 5: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 5098 comments I am in

message 6: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new)

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 6907 comments Mod
I think I only read the first book. The world building was amazing, but the main character was so alien I had a hard time relating to him. It’s strength was also it’s weakness haha. This is one of those series I’d like to have another go for at some point.

message 7: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 1249 comments I've been wanting to read this series for some time now, just won't be available for a while.

message 8: by Melody (new)

Melody | 3 comments I would like to join you all as I re-read these books. Fun!

message 9: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 14682 comments Sounds good... I'm gonna start soon (today)

message 10: by Soo (new)

Soo (silverlyn) | 3549 comments We starting today? Cool! I'll start tonight/tomorrow. =D

message 11: by Choko (new)

Choko (chokog) | 5098 comments Melody, you are welcome to join anytime! (+_+)

message 12: by Soo (last edited May 19, 2020 10:07PM) (new)

Soo (silverlyn) | 3549 comments

I like the covers of the books. =D

Starting Cloud Roads tonight.

message 13: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 14682 comments The covers are great... one of the first things that caught my eye, back after reading All Systems Red in 2018...

I read a fair chunk yesterday, I think... only reason I stopped, was because my phone died while I was cooking, then I started watching Avatar: The Last Airbender while eating, then went to bed early (I've heard so much praise over the years, I figured I should watch Avatar while it's back on Netflix)...

Anyway... the first couple chapters had a lot of things to setup, so while it was interesting, I wasn't hooked... but things quickly picked up, and I can see why people love this series (I think)... I'm glad I see it, after reading all the Murderbot books recently, and being slightly underwhelmed by the new one (I was hoping I hadn't hit a Martha Wells saturation point or something)... this book is quite different, which shouldn't have been a surprise, given I've read City of Bones...

As I tend to do these days, I've been making all sorts of weird comparisons in my head, while reading... (view spoiler)

message 14: by Soo (new)

Soo (silverlyn) | 3549 comments Avatar - Animated series or movie? Both are cute.

Gonna wrap this up today.

I like Moon, Stone & Jade. The female teacher seems cool too.

Plot is slow & hoping the deal with the Fell will be somewhat resolved in this book.

More on the world, Moon and etc would be great. lol

message 15: by Soo (new)

Soo (silverlyn) | 3549 comments Anyone else think the Raksura are cool gargoyles? =)

Also, am I the only one that's a bit frustrated by not getting more descriptions about all the other types of people in this world? Like we kinda know tails and wings may be uncommon but that's it. Doesn't mean they don't have boobs, scales, variety of horns, etc.

message 16: by Soo (new)

Soo (silverlyn) | 3549 comments Audio Ch19: YAY ANSWERS!

message 17: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 14682 comments I honestly wasn't as enamored with the Fell storyline, as much as I was with the characters...

I think the storyline wraps up in this one, but I could be wrong... I don't really know what the 2nd/etc books are going to be about...

Also, my impressions of most of the races (not on the book cover) are vague at best...

message 18: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 14682 comments And it's the Avatar show, not the M. Night Shyamalan movie (or the James Cameron one)...

I've watched the first 4-5 episodes, now, and the picture quality is markedly low, but the story is great... I think I've seen a couple random episodes over the years, so I know the quality animation improves as the budget/audience increases...

message 19: by Soo (new)

Soo (silverlyn) | 3549 comments I did mix a bit of reading the book and listened mostly. I loved the ending! Also like that there is an actual up and down process of Moon figuring things out.

By listening to the story, I think we are not holding onto the descriptions of the setting/races well. They must be brief touches. Like, I know what the arbor area was like when Moon first gets to the court but that's about it. Otherwise, it's weather related or vague they went up into winter cold mountain areas, etc.

Some of the reviews for the book state that the world building is excellent. There's probably a difference in what people determine as world building.

I thought the setting and different race descriptions were on the sparse side. Just enough to let you know that they're different but not enough to know HOW much different.

Fell: (view spoiler)

It doesn't seem like there are huge differences between the various races/species? I mean, I would think it's a big difference just to be able to change form, wings, etc but that doesn't seem to stop them from crossbreeding or rape/sex.

Also, sex doesn't seem to be a big deal on same/opposite/etc or rape even. Some of that was cool and some of that was oddly placed.

message 20: by Soo (new)

Soo (silverlyn) | 3549 comments Iain, let me know when ya wanna read the next book. =)

message 21: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 14682 comments Soon, for sure... maybe tomorrow...

message 22: by Soo (new)

Soo (silverlyn) | 3549 comments LoL - Just say when and I'll throw it into listening rotation.

message 23: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 14682 comments So... I followed through on my plan to start Raksura, 2 days ago... around 75% now...

Listened to 40% on day 1, rewound an hour and listened to another 40% yesterday...

I haven't had much to say, really... other than that the Cloud Clan (forget full name) can't catch a break, and that the timeline between books has been much tighter than I expected... doesn't give much time for character/relationship growth...

message 24: by Soo (new)

Soo (silverlyn) | 3549 comments I'll start today. I did start listening to it a few days ago but only listened to about an hour and then jumped into the Mercy book.

message 25: by Soo (new)

Soo (silverlyn) | 3549 comments Ha, ok. For some reason, the narration sounds super droney now. I'm going to jump into the Mercy series and finish up House of Chains. Then dive back into this one.

I'm gonna take a look at the book too. I feel like the Raksura descriptions go into one ear and out the other without sticking at all. In the first book, I had to go back and listen a few times to get the descriptions. They sound so cool but I guess the narration makes it easy to gloss over the non-action parts.

message 26: by Soo (new)

Soo (silverlyn) | 3549 comments Serpent Sea:

First 40% shows off the Raksura culture & politics.

For some reason, it's not very exciting. lol

message 27: by Soo (new)

Soo (silverlyn) | 3549 comments The covers are so pretty. =D

I've listened to about half of the audio.

Christopher Kipiniak isn't terrible as the narrator but I think he's plain narration detracts from the story. I'm going back to the ebook and reading the story.

CK's monotone narration takes away from the descriptions. When I read the words, it's easy to see a vibrant & lush imagery for the Raksura + setting but it's not sticking out as that when I listen.

Story is a bit repetitive. In a handful of pages at the beginning, the fact that Indigo Cloud group are uncomfortable traveling on the airships is stated & shown several times in a row.

Here's a nice description of the Raksura:

They circled above the lake, their scales in shades of blue, green, gold, brown, and copper-red. They all had retractable claws on hands and feet, long tails with a spade shape on the end, and manes of spines and frills down their backs. Moon was the only one here with black scales, the color that marked him as a consort, though he had a faint undersheen of bronze that caught the morning light.

message 28: by Kathrine (new)

Kathrine | 1246 comments So sorry for disappearing! I read Cloud Reads while being on social media hiatus and I loved it just as much the second time around. Moon is such a cute lil grump <3 I agree that the descriptions can be a bit on the sparse side, but I feel like that kind of intrigues me a bit as well? It gives the sense that this world is massive and full of mysteries – but I do look forward to more explanations!

message 29: by Kathrine (new)

Kathrine | 1246 comments Also I can start the next book right away! ^^

message 30: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 14682 comments Kathrine wrote: "Also I can start the next book right away! ^^"

You can't BR anything until we continue the Witcher BR.............................. just kidding :D

message 31: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 14682 comments Soo wrote: "The covers are so pretty. =D

I've listened to about half of the audio.

Christopher Kipiniak isn't terrible as the narrator but I think he's plain narration detracts from the story. I'm going b..."

That's probably part of it... my interest in so many of my books lately has been passing at best... I'm turning into Elinor, as a result, with so many unfinished audiobooks lingering, instead of finishing everything before moving on to the next book... reminds me of my problem with a ton of ebooks before I switched to audio.... so many ended up remaining unfinished, as I lost interest...

message 32: by Soo (new)

Soo (silverlyn) | 3549 comments No rush, Kathrine. =)

Throw in your thoughts as you feel like it.

Iain, I hear ya bud. It's a bit of work to juggle series/books around so I don't get bored or book burn out. You saw the spree of badly written books I read because I liked the concepts & character. lol

3 series re-read to catch up and finish are Wheel of Time, Malazan and Dresden Files. Well, DF is to catch up to what will be published this year. =)

WoT has become the harder book to listen to because Michael Kramer being one of the narrators. Plus, it just sounds way more whiny in audio than I remember it being when I read the books. I like WoT even if it becomes bloated later on and dislike the narration.

I'm put off enough by Kramer's narration that I decided to avoid listening to other series because he's the narrator. He's so inconsistent as a narrator. The way he narrates, the speed of his narration and inflections, etc.

While with Malazan, I don't expect to like the writing style but I do like aspects of the stories and it has better narrators. So more of an even expectation that gets good response from things I like vs negative base.

Dresden Files has been great because it's reminding me about the little details that are going to add up the bigger events that happen later. Marsten is a prime example of narration getting better & more polished audio production with each book.

message 33: by Timelord Iain (last edited Jun 14, 2020 12:29PM) (new)

Timelord Iain | 14682 comments After reading the 2nd Tarot book, I tried some other M/M UF...

A Ferry of Bones & Gold... lost my place a bit when phone died... lost interest, due to the high amount of sex vs plot...

Started The Colour of Magic a couple weeks ago, but the audio is old and decisions in narration are wierd, so I still haven't finished, even tho I want to progress Discworld at some point...

Read half of Dominion, before plot decisions started really annoying me (I like the side quest prequel about the girl with the Hippie god, tho)...

Barely started Sleeping Late on Judgement Day before deciding I didn't want to read the 3rd Bobby Dollar book, so soon after the first 2...

Listened to 20 minutes of The City We Became, before deciding I wasn't in the mood for the story format and middle audio accompaniment, right now... same with The Expert System's Brother...

Still at 75% on The Serpent Sea... and I listened to 5 minutes of The United States of Absurdity: Untold Stories from American History at some point, but it's pretty quiet...

I think it's time I replace my earbuds again, from sound degradation... it's getting harder to find any locally...

What I've been progressing on this weekend, has been The Wandering Inn: Volume 1... past the halfway point, now...

message 34: by Soo (new)

Soo (silverlyn) | 3549 comments The Serpent Sea - Around 60% in audio is where the story dives into a bunch of action. =)

I need to re-listen or read parts of the middle.

message 35: by Soo (last edited Jun 14, 2020 01:02PM) (new)

Soo (silverlyn) | 3549 comments Earbuds - Buy them from Amazon. Deliveries are more or less back to normal.

Do you have to buy the expensive iPod ones?

message 36: by Timelord Iain (last edited Jun 14, 2020 01:18PM) (new)

Timelord Iain | 14682 comments Soo wrote: "Earbuds - Buy them from Amazon. Deliveries are more or less back to normal.

Do you have to buy the expensive iPod ones?"

I mostly buy the expensive iPod ones for the on-wire controls to pause/play... really useful at work... if I could find cheaper 3rd party options with good sound quality and reliable on-wire controls, I'd buy them instead... cause the Apple ones are like $30 a pair... and I've been burned in the past by 3rd party buds...

message 37: by Soo (new)

Soo (silverlyn) | 3549 comments I hear ya. Right now, my goto bluetooth earphones are Samsung Level U. I can usually get them around $25-30. Best mix of audio quality, battery lasts around 10-11 hours and has small earbuds that don't hurt my ears.

message 38: by Soo (new)

Soo (silverlyn) | 3549 comments Serpent Sea: The important parts for the story are told in short phrases. lol

Makes it too easy to not catch when you're listening.

I finished the audiobook and skimming the ebook. There are lots of great little moments that are nice to read vs listen.

On top of the action that happens around 65-85% of the book, this was a nice take on Indigo Cloud and how Moon is getting used to having a home & family.

message 39: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 14682 comments Soo wrote: "I hear ya. Right now, my goto bluetooth earphones are Samsung Level U. I can usually get them around $25-30. Best mix of audio quality, battery lasts around 10-11 hours and has small earbuds that d..."

Went across town after work today, and found some earbuds at another location (cold food in car was my only limiting factor to trying this yesterday)... some advantages to living in a larger city with multiple local shopping options...

Anyway, I hadn't realized how damaged my old ones were, until I plugged the new ones in and had to turn the volume down a bit... the left ear was almost completely dead, and right ear was half dead... BIG difference...

message 40: by Soo (new)

Soo (silverlyn) | 3549 comments Woah. Yeah, I'd say so. Most of my earbuds last forever until I started looking for bluetooth ones. Now I have to get replacements somewhat regularly because something about it breaks. That put me on the earphone hunt for half a year while I tried cheap & semi-reasonable options. Now I just stick with Samsung Level U because it's the best overall even if it breaks more often than I like. I'd totally spend a few hundred on a pair if I knew for sure I'd like the quality & it would last for a few years. That would cost the same as what I end up spending on my current earphones. lol

The new ones make the listening experience better, yeah?

message 41: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 14682 comments For sure... I do most of my earbud damage at work... I keep the cord between shirt & undershirt, so I can take on & off easily, and the shirt protects a little bit, but I damage the cord inevitably, moving bulky items around and pinching the cord between body & item...

I probably also damage the cord when phone gets stuck in pocket, trying to pull it out and bending cord 90 degrees by connector...

I'm planning to look into some bluetooth options in the future... I'll start with the ones you mentioned... I think they sell them at Sam's Club...

message 42: by Soo (new)

Soo (silverlyn) | 3549 comments Yeah, Samsung Level U are my fav. They have the button functions to stop, forward, etc. Should have the same functions on iPhone but can't say for sure. Charge time is only an hour or so and that's nice. There are others that take 4-6 hrs to charge and last only a few hours.

message 43: by Kathrine (new)

Kathrine | 1246 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "Kathrine wrote: "Also I can start the next book right away! ^^"

You can't BR anything until we continue the Witcher BR.............................. just kidding :D"

Omg did you finally reply in the thread? xD I had given up on that!

message 44: by Kathrine (new)

Kathrine | 1246 comments On the topic of earphones.... I buy the expensive Apple ones with a 3.5 mm jack (yeah I'm one of those people who refuse to convert to lightning) and I burn through about a pair a month xD But mine are always attached to my phone (like, always) and I also sleep with music in every night which means I end up lying on top of my earphones every night. I understand why each pair gives up after like a month, I abuse them so bad.. but they're so good D:

message 45: by Kathrine (new)

Kathrine | 1246 comments Also I'm a little over 40% through Serpent Sea; they just found the "island": (view spoiler)

Raksura court dynamics: (view spoiler)

message 46: by Timelord Iain (last edited Jun 16, 2020 01:49PM) (new)

Timelord Iain | 14682 comments Kathrine wrote: "Timelord Iain wrote: "Kathrine wrote: "Also I can start the next book right away! ^^"

You can't BR anything until we continue the Witcher BR.............................. just kidding :D"

Omg did..."

I missed you finally responding... I asked about continuing on February 3rd and March 4th... last commented on March 16th, then you popped in on March 18th & April 10th, and I never noticed... I blame coronavirus and my slowly creeping burnout...

Yea... the book has been waiting on my phone for you for 4 months now :)

message 47: by Soo (new)

Soo (silverlyn) | 3549 comments Where are you guys on Witcher?

message 48: by Soo (new)

Soo (silverlyn) | 3549 comments Island: (view spoiler)

Raksura/Indigo Cloud: I feel like the ease they have for physical closeness has to do with the fact they can go with or without clothes and it's not weird. lol

Obviously, they have their own issues because the shape of your body, coloring of the scales, whether or not you can fight to keep your "position" and all are big parts of their culture.

message 49: by Kathrine (new)

Kathrine | 1246 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "Kathrine wrote: "Timelord Iain wrote: "Kathrine wrote: "Also I can start the next book right away! ^^"

You can't BR anything until we continue the Witcher BR.............................. just kid..."

Oh no, Iain, now I have a confession to make D: I thought the BR was dead so I've read the next witcher book.... But it's not that long ago so we can definitely still discuss it!

message 50: by Kathrine (new)

Kathrine | 1246 comments Soo, we're on Time of Contempt/Baptism of Fire :D

« previous 1