Play Book Tag discussion

The Giver of Stars
This topic is about The Giver of Stars
Archive: Other Books > [Poll Ballot] The Giver of Stars by Jojo Moyes 3.5 stars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Charlotte | 1580 comments The Giver of Stars by Jojo Moyes
3.5 rounded up to 4 stars

Others have read this book and covered the synopsis and so most probably know that this covers the packhorse library in 1937 in a small town in Kentucky.

Jojo Moyes writing style is the only reason that I gave it the stars that I did. Her writing pulls me in so that I forget the world around me. I connected with the characters and my heart was in my throat or I was uncomfortable at various points in the story. (view spoiler)

What annoyed me was the dialect and the words used by the people in the story. It wasn't right and since I've finished the book and my initial reviews, it has annoyed me more and more. She attempted to do a southern dialect and used ain't in several spots but then she used youse. Youse is a very northern word. As soon as I read it, I was reminded of part of my childhood in NJ/NY. It would never have been used by someone from Kentucky. Like most of the south, Kentucky uses y'all or simply ya'. Youse would never be used by a Sheriff in the backwoods of Kentucky as it was on pg 287 of my edition. I'm of the opinion either use a dialect and use it properly or don't use a dialect at all. There were also words used that would have been far to advanced for some of the uneducated characters in the book.

I'm interested to see how this book compares to The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek which is also about the packhorse library women but written by a Kentuckian.

I did record a review that can be found here: https://youtu.be/A_3Dq_EfgtY
and a blog post on here: http://charlotteonbooks.com/2020/05/1...

message 2: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 8519 comments It’s so interesting how an accent or dialect can make or break a book. Culturally like for things to be spoken and read in what makes sense to us. It’s hard when an author doesn’t quite get the voice right. Or if it was an audio if the narrator doesn’t. But it’s true what Charlotte said, this is a story that will wrap you in.

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2221 comments Charlotte wrote: "The Giver of Stars by Jojo Moyes
3.5 rounded up to 4 stars

I'm interested to see how this book compares to The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek which is also about the packhorse library women but written by a Kentuckian..."

I'm listening to Book Woman now and absolutely loving the reader and the turn of phrase used by the author. Love, love, love. From what you've said, I many not enjoy The Giver of Stars because I have a feeling this will simply outshine Giver. If you haven't read Book Woman, please do! It also probably fits Depression but I haven't search for that tag yet.

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5800 comments I just finished The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek last night - 4****

I've enjoyed other books by Moyes that I've read, but I can't imagine that she'll do a better job than Richardson. I do still plan to read Moyes' book, though.

Charlotte | 1580 comments Yea... I like Jojo Moyes writing and read the Me Before You series and really enjoyed it. I have The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek on my Kindle and will be reading it very soon.