Goodreads Choice Awards Book Club discussion

Archive - Buddy Reads 2020 > Fiction - June 2020

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 5946 comments Mod
The group voted to read the Fiction nominee The Bookish Life of Nina Hill in June. The winner for this genre was The Testaments (The Handmaid's Tale #2). Have you read any of the other nominees for this award? Which have you read and what did you think? Which was your favorite?

Do you plan to read any of them in the future? How about setting up a buddy read of one that you are interested in this month? Use this thread to discuss and find a buddy!

Schedule buddy reads here, then set up a separate thread to discuss.

message 3: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited May 16, 2020 12:37PM) (new)

I usually have many from this genre that I've read, but this time around the only one I've read so far is Red at the Bone and I thought it was just ok. I do own a couple of them, so I hope to read those. I also plan to join the group read of The Bookish Life of Nina Hill. I've put in a hold for an electronic copy from the library and hope it comes in on time.

Red at the Bone by Jacqueline Woodson The Bookish Life of Nina Hill by Abbi Waxman

message 4: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited May 16, 2020 12:45PM) (new)

I own two of the books. I got The Overdue Life of Amy Byler for free through the Kindle First program. I picked up Where the Forest Meets the Stars through Audible, I think through a sale. I haven't read either yet.

A few others have made it onto my "maybe read" shelf:
Ask Again, Yes
Queenie
The Most Fun We Ever Had

The Overdue Life of Amy Byler by Kelly Harms Where the Forest Meets the Stars by Glendy Vanderah Ask Again, Yes by Mary Beth Keane Queenie by Candice Carty-Williams The Most Fun We Ever Had by Claire Lombardo

message 5: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 834 comments I read Fleishman Is in Trouble and it was just not for me. It was about a man and his internal dialogue. I can see how some people would think it was funny though.

I have Ask Again, Yes by Mary Beth Keane When All Is Said by Anne Griffin The Gifted School by Bruce Holsinger The Most Fun We Ever Had by Claire Lombardo on my list. I won't get to all of them this year, but someone told me Ask Again, Yes by Mary Beth Keane should be one I definitely read.

message 6: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 834 comments I just finished Ask Again, Yes and loved it!
Life is messy and the characters were realistic. It will make you laugh and make you cry.
I recommend it!

message 7: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

I will have to move that one back onto my tbr for good. It keeps going on my to-read list, then my maybe read list.