Goodreads Choice Awards Book Club discussion

Archive - Buddy Reads 2020 > History & Biography - June 2020

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 5869 comments Mod
The group voted to read the History & Biography nominee Midnight in Chernobyl: The Untold Story of the World's Greatest Nuclear Disaster in June. The winner for this genre was The Five: The Untold Lives of the Women Killed by Jack the Ripper. Have you read any of the other nominees for this award? Which have you read and what did you think? Which was your favorite?

Do you plan to read any of them in the future? How about setting up a buddy read of one that you are interested in this month? Use this thread to discuss and find a buddy!

Schedule buddy reads here, then set up a separate thread to discuss.

message 3: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 5869 comments Mod
There are a couple that I would like to read in this genre. I'm interested in The Five: The Untold Lives of the Women Killed by Jack the Ripper, Before and After: The Incredible Real-Life Stories of Orphans Who Survived the Tennessee Children's Home Society, and Dutch Girl: Audrey Hepburn and World War II. A couple of the other WWII books look like they would be interesting as well, but I feel like I've read a lot of them so I think I'll put those nonfiction reads on hold for a while.

The Five The Untold Lives of the Women Killed by Jack the Ripper by Hallie Rubenhold Before and After The Incredible Real-Life Stories of Orphans Who Survived the Tennessee Children's Home Society by Judy Christie Dutch Girl Audrey Hepburn and World War II by Robert Matzen

message 4: by Jayme (new)

Jayme | 178 comments There are also only a couple that I have on my TBR list: The Only Plane in the Sky: An Oral History of 9/11 and How to Hide an Empire: A History of the Greater United States. I also think that history and biography should be split into two categories for the award - just my opinion :)

The Only Plane in the Sky An Oral History of 9/11 by Garrett M. Graff How to Hide an Empire A History of the Greater United States by Daniel Immerwahr .