Play Book Tag discussion

The Art of Travel
This topic is about The Art of Travel
Archive: Other Books > (POLL BALLOT) The Art of Travel / Alain de Botton - 4****

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5790 comments The Art of Travel by Alain de Botton
The Art Of Travel – Alain de Botton
4****

Any travel guide will tell us where we should travel and what we should see when we get there. Alain de Botton tries to tell us WHY we should travel.

In various chapters he expounds on what it is that travel offers us. From new experiences to wonders (small and large), from expanding our cultural references, to finding the familiar in a completely foreign location. He waxes poetic on the anticipation of arriving at a new location, the marvels of modes of transportation, on “country” vs “city,” on finding beauty – in the familiar as well as the exotic.

Sprinkled throughout are numerous references to previous travelers: Gustave Flaubert, William Wordsworth, Vincent Van Gogh, etc; as well as illustrations that support his text (both photographs and paintings).

I think he has opened my eyes and I will feel more open about all experiences henceforth, whether just the comfort of my own bedroom, the promise of Spring outside my window, or the excitement of a location that is completely new to me.

I picked up this book because it was a selection for a book club discussion run by a local university. Alas, COVID19 cancelled that meeting. I hope they will put it on the agenda again in the future.

LINK to my review

message 2: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3808 comments I see tourists all the time just being sheep going from one landmark to the next, never really EXPERIENCING places, and it drives me CRAZY!
I think/hope after all this COVID stuff people appreciate traveling and being exposed to new things a little more than normal.

message 3: by Theresa (new) - added it

Theresa | 6636 comments Love books like this. On the TBR it goes -- along with his Proust one! I'm a traveler myself, not a tourist. I like to experience. Doesn't mean I don't zone out and become a sheep once in a while...I remember travelling in Turkey and one day near Antalya I realized that if I saw one more ancient roman theater I was going to scream -- I just could not see them any longer! I was just going by rote. I stirred things up by taking a day to sit in the harbor sampling mezes and local wines.