Play Book Tag discussion

The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared (The Hundred-Year-Old Man, #1)
May 2020: Comedy > The 100 Year Old Man 2.5 stars (rounding up) (POLLS, BINGO)

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7505 comments The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared 3 stars-barely

Since so many of you have already read this, just going to say why it " didn't do it for me".

I am guessing that my dark and warped sense of humor has a lot to do with why this book did not make me laugh. I could count on my fingers how many times it made me even smile. I did like Allan, I liked the characters that he ran around with. I did not even mind the outlandish flashbacks to all the fab people we encountered in his life. However, that reminded me too much of Forest Gump, which I absolutely loved.

I was hoping for a book to jar me out of my self-inflicted "poor me" mood-this just did not do it for me.

I am raising it up to 3 stars as Jonasson can tell a story, I just wish it had a been a better one.

message 2: by Jason (new) - added it

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments I've been looking at this one. It keeps popping up because I loved A Man Called Ove. Have your read A Man Called Ove?

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7505 comments No Jason-I know that Bachman is truly loved around here, and I have thought about picking it up, just has not called to me. It seems when an author or book is adored here, I usually fall on other side of the line.

message 4: by Holly R W (new)

Holly R W | 1260 comments If there's one thing I've learned from being on this site, it's that we readers all have different reactions to the same books. I have not read the book, but admire your honest, well thought out review.

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 972 comments I enjoyed this book, when I read it some years ago - pure entertainment, so you have to be in the mood for that. Jonasson's books are a lot more silly in a Don Quixote-way than Bachman's if you want to compare. I've read both authors in Danish translation (and one in Swedish) and the two languages are quite similar, so there might also be more things lost in translation to English.

message 6: by Jason (new) - added it

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments Thankyou Johanne. That is what I wanted, a comparison. Backman is my favorite author.

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7505 comments Holly R W wrote: "If there's one thing I've learned from being on this site, it's that we readers all have different reactions to the same books. I have not read the book, but admire your honest, well thought out re..."

And I love that I can react adversely to a book that others love and that it's OK! I ❤ PBT

Johanne *the biblionaut* | 972 comments @Jason, I am also a lot more fond of Backman than Jonasson. Jonasson's books (I've read 2) are 3-4 star entertainment, Backman's (I've read most of them) are 4-5 star favourites.

message 9: by NancyJ (last edited May 16, 2020 08:19AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5234 comments I stalled about half way through this book but I plan to finish it.

I think both this book and A man called Ove have received so much love that it builds up unrealistic expectations. I loved A man Called Ove but I read it before I saw many reviews. It’s all subjective, so I’m never upset if people don’t feel the same way about a book.

Jason, I don’t think the two authors are as similar as they might seem. I prefer Backmann based on what I’ve read so far.

message 10: by annapi (last edited May 16, 2020 01:17PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

annapi | 4986 comments Uh-oh, I was planning to read this for the comedy tag, but have been putting it off because I've been deliberately choosing shorter books to get more in for Poll Ballot. I may eventually get around to it but it's lower in my sights now...I will have to just see when I feel like picking it up!

message 11: by Jason (new) - added it

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments Johanne wrote: "@Jason, I am also a lot more fond of Backman than Jonasson. Jonasson's books (I've read 2) are 3-4 star entertainment, Backman's (I've read most of them) are 4-5 star favourites."

I agree that expectations can kill a book. I try to go into book without knowing much.

message 12: by Jason (new) - added it

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments Johanne wrote: "@Jason, I am also a lot more fond of Backman than Jonasson. Jonasson's books (I've read 2) are 3-4 star entertainment, Backman's (I've read most of them) are 4-5 star favourites."

3-4 stars and being entertained is still pretty good. I will probably add this to my to read but no urgency.