Beta Reader Group discussion

Critique Partners and Swaps > Fast-paced SF

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Thomas (new)

Thomas | 19 comments Hi!

I'm looking for a swap for Tendon from Bone, a fast-paced SF book with interwoven story lines that collide at the end.

It takes place on multiple large ships within a huge generation fleet that has been traveling for 1,000 years--and there is no clear answer on where they are going or why.

The first part is military action/suspense, as a turncoat launches a special ops attack on her old home to end a hundred-year civil war--but is she a double agent? Or something more? Experience war in a metal world, where up and down are as important as east and west, and heat is a potent weapon.

The second part centers around a commander's guilt as he psychologically deteriorates after causing massive collateral damage. Absorbed in his own self-flagellation, he ignores his wife's declining state, his lieutenant's odd behavior, and the possibility that he was tricked into attacking those ships...

The third part is the story of Byel, Head Systems Analyst and Programmer aboard the Pegasus, as he fights accusations of birthing a forbidden Artificial Intelligence and is tormented by seemingly impossible signs that his dead wife might yet live. Living half in the past, perpetually exhausted and quick to anger, Byel is easy prey for shadowy forces with their own agenda.

The three threads intertwine at the end in an explosive, tragic finale.

155k words altogether, written in short chapters.
The plot moves quickly, as it's really three short books that tie together.

message 2: by Tito (new)

Tito Athano (bobspringett) | 144 comments Thomas wrote: "Hi!

I'm looking for a swap for Tendon from Bone, a fast-paced SF book with interwoven story lines that collide at the end.

It takes place on multiple large ships within a huge generation fleet th..."

Hi Thomas,

I'm interested!

I prefer to work in Word, leaving marginal notes and making consolidated comments every fifty pages.

bspringett@iprimus.com.au