What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Thriller - 2008/09 - Former IRA bomb maker forced to build bomb - Family held hostage

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by AdoraBelle42 (new)

AdoraBelle42 | 43 comments I read this in 2008 or 2009 and it was set in the UK.

A former IRA bomb maker (possibly called Angela or Andrea) now has a peaceful life and family (she possibly changed her identity to be safe).

The bad guys (not sure what their aim was, but I have a faint idea it may have been a heist / something financial) hold her family hostage somewhere and hold her in another apartment.

I believe she had to fry fertilizer in woks to create material for the bomb and it was explained that this was super tricky because it had to be done at a specific temperature to, one the one hand, work as an explosive later and, on the other, not explode during the frying.

Does this ring any bells with anyone?

Thanks in advance!

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 33390 comments Mod
The Bombmaker by Stephen Leather seems to match your description. There are different cover images.

One reviewer says, "Andy is a former IRA bomb-maker. Retired from the IRA after a bomb accidentally kills some children who were not the targets, she has another secret that we only learn mid-way through the book, but which has profound implications for everyone's actions. Martin, her husband, knows nothing of her past. Katie, their daughter, has been taken by a group of ostensible terrorists who want her to construct a massive fertilizer bomb, a la Timothy McVeigh, the kind of bomb that had been Andy's specialty."

Google search - site:www.goodreads.com "thriller" former "ira" "bomb maker" "family" hostage

message 3: by AdoraBelle42 (new)

AdoraBelle42 | 43 comments Oooh, that has to be it, thanks!
I just ordered a copy to reread and make sure :)

... and realized I'd googled using bomber instead of bombmaker, which is why nothing helpful turned up...

message 4: by Kris (new)

Kris | 33390 comments Mod
Sounds good. Come back and let us know if that's the book.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Bombmaker (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Stephen Leather (other topics)