Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

Paranormal Romance > PNR with Brotherhood/Strong Familial Connection Among Leads

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chioma (new)

Chioma (chibereading) | 2 comments Hello everyone,

First time posting so my apologies if the topic is a bit confusing, but I am looking for a specific type of series. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for PNR or any non-contemporary/non-historical series in which the series explores the stories of the various leads within a family, brotherhood, friendship, or another type of team.

To give an example, way back in the day I read the Dark-Hunters Series, and I loved how within the books I would build relationships with the other leads and then begin to anticipate their books in the series, and previous series leads would also make cameos. I'll give more examples below of my favorites and how they fit the category:

Lords of Underworld- connection of all the future male leads are in a close friendship/family-type environment, we are introduced to some if not all of the future leads along with the stories of the current leads of the book

Phoenix Wolves- all of the wolves live together on a family compound, you meet all of the wolf shifters in the first books and they all eventually get their own books

Black Dagger Brotherhood (haven't read in a while) but I remember being introduced to the guys in the brotherhood early, and anticipating their books based on who's story/personality appealed to me the best

Demonica Series- The Sim brothers all have there owned books and then the horsemen.

Dark Hunters- All the dark hunters have a friendship, group bond and even if people aren't friendly you are introduced to characters throughout the series.

Lords of the Underworld, Phoenix Pack, and the Demonica series are my favorite of this particular type.

Would love to hear suggestions and recommendations!

message 2: by Abby (last edited May 16, 2020 05:57AM) (new)

Abby Peralta (abbyperalta) | 15 comments My Brother's Keeper by Alanea Alder Hello!!

You might want to check out Alanea Alders' Bewitched and Bewildered Series!
My Commander (Bewitched and Bewildered, #1) by Alanea Alder My Protector (Bewitched and Bewildered, #2) by Alanea Alder My Healer by Alanea Alder My Brother's Keeper (Bewitched and Bewildered, #5) by Alanea Alder My Guardian (Bewitched and Bewildered #6) by Alanea Alder My Champion (Bewitched and Bewildered #7) by Alanea Alder My Defender (Bewitched and Bewildered #8) by Alanea Alder My Angel (Bewitched and Bewildered, #9) by Alanea Alder My One and Only (Bewitched and Bewildered #10) by Alanea Alder My Solace (Bewitched and Bewildered #11) by Alanea Alder

It's one of my favorite series and has everything you're looking for: Brotherhood, strong familial bonds, friendship.
The series' main protagonist is Meryn McKenzie so she's always involve with every book.
But each book is about the Warriors and their mates.

The series is funny, touching and with mystery, so I hope you'll like it too 😊😊

message 3: by Abby (last edited May 16, 2020 06:04AM) (new)

Abby Peralta (abbyperalta) | 15 comments Also..

Suzanne Wright's series:

Phoenix Pack Series
Mercury Pack Series
Deep in Your Veins Series
Dark in You Series

[EDIT: Oh, I just realized! You wrote about Phoenix Wolves. I wonder if it's the same one as in my suggestion?]

[EDIT: Oh! I just realized. You wrote about Phoenix Wolves Series. Are they the same one as my suggestion?]

message 4: by kittykat AKA Jo Tortitude (last edited May 16, 2020 07:44AM) (new)

kittykat AKA Jo Tortitude | 380 comments Well, this is one of my fav things in books too so here goes...

Shelly Laurenston is brilliant at this. Hers include familial bonds, but there are also blended families, strong working bonds and both intra and inter species dynamics at play. And an added bonus (it shouldn't be a bonus but there it is) is that she writes POC characters (mainly females) as fully fleshed out humans rather than stereotypes or tokens, but does not try to write from their cultural perspective.

Her Pride series, Honey Badgers trilogy, and even going back as far as her Magnus Pack trilogy (which is not as good as the others but still worthwhile a read) are all set in the same 'world' and once characters are introduced, it is rare that the last you'll see of them is in 'their' book.

You can pick up at any point but you will miss out massively if you do as SL is renowned for her chaotic POV swapping in most of these books which only increases with each one as more characters are introduced. Also, the romance and sex scenes decrease series by series, which as far as I'm concerned is not a fault but a benefit as the writing quality increases at the same time.

Pack Challenge (Magnus Pack, #1) by Shelly Laurenston series 1 - Magnus Pack trilogy is very very funny. Don't leave out the 3.5 novella as Irene is a important factor to come and Miki plays a part too. The three FMC's of the main books are the absolute best of friends in that sassy kind of way.
The Mane Event (Pride, #1) by Shelly Laurenston series 2 - Pride series is absolutely hilarious. I would struggle to tell you which was my favorite book, single character and couple out of all of them because there is so much to love in every single one of them. There are brother bonds, sister bonds and solid working relationships at play in this series in particular
Hot and Badgered (Honey Badger Chronicles, #1) by Shelly Laurenston series 3 - Honey Badgers trilogy is bust a gut hysterical and because of it's rock solid (abeit somewhat violent and fractious!) sisterhood at it's core is incredibly heartwarming. Those three women would (and do!) do anything in protection of their sisters. It's also best read back to back as it's really one long story in three parts rather than seperate stories.

Hunting Season (The Gathering, #1) by Shelly Laurenston Try this standalone (because the series went in another direction and of course that's on my TBR now) for a preview of what SL's books are like, it's on KU.

For more of my thoughts on these books see here and here

kittykat AKA Jo Tortitude | 380 comments TS Joyce also does this extremely well with her Damon’s Mountains Universe books.

They are novellas of mostly between 100-150 pages and are on KU or are dirt cheap to buy. The collection is made up of what I call mini-series are in two halves... books 1-22 are the first generation and are set in the location of the titular mountains and the rest are second generation and are in different locations, but with many of the MC's of 23-43 being kids of the first gen MC's. Some of the parents pop up at various stages in the second gen.

There is an overarching metaplot (about coming out to humans) that begins in book 1 and carries on throughout and it also has a matchmaking 1010 trailer and it's resident house mouse (probably magical!) and a supernatural dating agency (!) throughout a lot of it. Titular Damon is (I think) the only billionaire type and he is really the patriarch of the shifters around whom many of the different crews either work for or with and at many times throughout the entire journey the different species dynamics come to a head many times as often they have to work together to fight the enemy.

The author has a formula to these books and she sticks to it firmly, but her characters are so wonderful with many of them really funny, or heartbreaking or just plain cray-cray that I let that slide. She has humor throughout, some angst, action and fight scenes running rampant as well as sweet and swoony (or a falling over laughing!) romance plot in each individual book. A lot of times, families are kind of torn apart physically (many times due to their shifter natures) but they always find ways to help each other from afar, or travel to be present when required or even move away to make things better at times.

kittykat AKA Jo Tortitude | 380 comments And I would be remiss not to include the one that has my heart
Wolfsong (Green Creek, #1) by T.J. Klune

Anything that T.J. Klune writes is wrapped firmly in a blanket of impenetrable found family bonds with a strong theme of acceptance and belonging throughout and Wolfsong and the entire Green Creek series is riddled with this and more.

The series starts with Wolfsong and Ox the MC, an outsider, climbing into the 'inner circle' so to speak. That first book ends with the foundations of this new 'family' growing around and because of him - with him being the glue that holds them all together. Literally EVERYTHING Ox does (after a certain point in the plot) is for this new family (which grows with each book) to protect them and keep them strong and safe and that includes the things that happen to him over time.

The blood family he bonds to is close too and incredibly willing to 'take in' the outsider that their strife could have, SHOULD have broken... but didn't. And one of the things I love best about this new big family is that many of them are so tactile and physically affectionate in ways that men, in particular, are not supposed to be and that includes some of the new human members too. This is total hearteyes to me as I'm a very tactile person (so currently things are incredibly difficult for me as I live alone).

The series (which MUST be read in order) is due to be completed in October with the release of book 4 but there are a couple of freebies on the authors website that should also be read too... and he had even provided audio version of the freebies too! This is also a series where both plot and character work are rock solid and neither let the story down as so often happens IMO when one is much stronger than the other.

Wolfsong (Green Creek, #1) by T.J. Klune Ravensong (Green Creek, #2) by T.J. Klune Lovesong (Green Creek #2.5) by T.J. Klune Heartsong (Green Creek, #3) by T.J. Klune Feralsong (Green Creek #3.5) by T.J. Klune Brothersong (Green Creek, #4) by T.J. Klune

A caveat here to say I am EXTREMELY biased with this one as not only is the first book one of my favourites of all time, but Ox is my favourite fictional character ever and the book includes so much that is total and utter catnip to me... (or should I call it wolfsbane?). The whole series is incredible and TJ Klune is an exceptional writer (and a favourite too), but Wolfsong even when I originally read it as a standalone OWNS me.

message 7: by Cozen (last edited May 16, 2020 10:39AM) (new)

Cozen | 462 comments Since I have no idea what books you’ve read (you’re on Private) I’m taking a stab in the dark here. The Immortals After Dark series by Kresley Cole has a couple of Brother/cousin dynamic in them:

the Woede brothers: (two demon brothers)
Dark Desires After Dusk (Immortals After Dark, #5) by Kresley Cole Dark Desires After Dusk (book 5)
Kiss of a Demon King (Immortals After Dark, #6) by Kresley Cole Kiss of a Demon King (book 6),

the MacRieve family: (two lykae brothers)

A Hunger Like No Other (Immortals After Dark, #1) by Kresley Cole A Hunger Like No Other (book 1)
Pleasure of a Dark Prince (Immortals After Dark, #8) by Kresley Cole Pleasure of a Dark Prince (book 8)

and their three cousins:
Wicked Deeds on a Winter's Night (Immortals After Dark, #3) by Kresley Cole Wicked Deeds on a Winter's Night (book 3)
MacRieve (Immortals After Dark, #13) by Kresley Cole MacRieve (book 13)
and Munro (Immortals After Dark, #18) by Kresley Cole Munro coming this summer (book 18),

the Wroth brothers: (4 vampires)

The Warlord Wants Forever (Immortals After Dark, #0.5) by Kresley Cole The Warlord Wants Forever (book 0.5)
No Rest for the Wicked (Immortals After Dark, #2) by Kresley Cole No Rest for the Wicked (book 2)
Dark Needs at Night's Edge (Immortals After Dark, #4) by Kresley Cole Dark Needs at Night's Edge (book 4)
Deep Kiss of Winter (Includes Immortals After Dark, #7; Alien Huntress, #3.5) by Kresley Cole Deep Kiss of Winter (book 7),

and the Dacians: (three vampire cousins)
Lothaire (Immortals After Dark, #11) by Kresley Cole Lothaire (book 11)
Shadow's Claim (Immortals After Dark, #12; The Dacians, #1) by Kresley Cole Shadow's Claim (book 12)
Shadow's Seduction (Immortals After Dark, #16; The Dacians, #2) by Kresley Cole Shadow's Seduction (book 16 - though this was at one point a .5 since it was considered a novella in the consideration of the whole of the series).

All these books can stand alone meaning they all have a beginning, middle, and an ending. They are just a part of a much larger plot. There’s also currently a discussion on this series https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/... but it does contain spoilers in them. Oh, and this series is around the valkyrie which means a lot of sister/cousin connections.

Read the samples first before deciding. Most can be found at your local library... although, in this current climate I’m not sure if it’s a viable option these days. And personally, I would start with Wicked Deeds on a Winter's Night (Immortals After Dark, #3) by Kresley Cole Wicked Deeds on a Winter's Night. The first two are not her best books that’s she’s written. She gets better and better with every book. But that's also just my opinion.

message 8: by KarenMac (last edited May 16, 2020 04:37PM) (new)

KarenMac | 18 comments You MUST read Jane Cousins Southern Sanctuary Series. It is funny, action-packed and the romances are way hot.

There are the 7 warriors of Maat - all insanely hot. And then they get involved with the Southern Sanctuary - which is three towns full of eccentric magic users. There is also a manipulative matchmaker and loads of interfering and amusing relatives.

Each book in the series features a new couple, though we are introduced to friends/relatives who the author drops hints about their future hook-ups. And as the series progresses we catch up with the past main characters as they have kids or help out with new emerging troubles.
You'll completely fall in love with Darcy, who appears as a secondary in book one, and again in a heap of other books, but doesn't get her own romance until book 12 - so worth the wait. It was awesome.

To Woo A Warrior (Southern Sanctuary, #1) by Jane Cousins To Trap A Temptress (Southern Sanctuary, #2) by Jane Cousins To Wrangle A Witch (Southern Sanctuary, #3) by Jane Cousins To Seduce A Siren (Southern Sanctuary, #4) by Jane Cousins To Bedevil A Beauty (Southern Sanctuary, #5) by Jane Cousins To Date A Disaster (Southern Sanctuary, #6) by Jane Cousins To Shackle A Shrew (Southern Sanctuary, #7) by Jane Cousins To Thrill A Thief (Southern Sanctuary, #8) by Jane Cousins To Vex A Valkyrie (Southern Sanctuary, #9) by Jane Cousins To Surprise A Seer (Southern Sanctuary, #10) by Jane Cousins To Fight A Fate (Southern Sanctuary, #11) by Jane Cousins To Handle A Hellcat (Southern Sanctuary, #12) by Jane Cousins To Kiss A Kringle (Southern Sanctuary, #13) by Jane Cousins

I have re-read this series twice already - every time I find something new to laugh at, and the romances just seem to grow hotter. Love this series.

message 9: by Chioma (new)

Chioma (chibereading) | 2 comments Thanks for all the great suggestions y'all. Can't wait to get through them!

@Abby Yes have read the Phoenix Pack and the Mercury Pack series and I adore them both. I haven't checkout out the other two series you mentioned by Suzanne Wright but I'll def will.

I did download a sample of the first book in the Bewitched and Bewildered series and the instalove aspect within the first few chapters through my off a bit so I may have to give that one a second try later on haha!

@kittykat I'll def look into Shelly Laurenston. I'm a bit of a cover snob but I'll make the exception for recommendations haha. I got the sample of the first book in the Pride Series and I'll start once I finish off some of the samples from the other recommendations. Thanks!

Also def not a minus that the smut decreases in the later books, that's what I loved about The Lords of the Underworld and Demonica series, the character development and the individual plots take precedence which I adore.

@Cozen I remember reading Kresley Cole when I was way younger than I should have been reading her, haha and I just remember the smut being much more than I liked in a series. I may have to revisit her to see if I can skip over it and enjoy the other parts. I think I may actually have a copy deep in my library somewhere. Thanks for the recs!

@KarenMac Kindle Unlimited Recommendations! I traded in and I got the first book in this series since it's on Kindle Unlimited and am reading it now. Much appreciated!

message 10: by Abby (new)

Abby Peralta (abbyperalta) | 15 comments Chioma wrote: "Thanks for all the great suggestions y'all. Can't wait to get through them!

@Abby Yes have read the Phoenix Pack and the Mercury Pack series and I adore them both. I haven't checkout out the other..."

I understand. Other people on the reviews of the first book (My Commander) also said the same thing. But I hope you'll give it a second chance because the series gets better each book. It's funny and mystery deepens as the series also progresses. 😊😊

message 11: by BJ (last edited May 18, 2020 03:04AM) (new)

BJ (barbararhodes) | 47 comments Chioma wrote: "Thanks for all the great suggestions y'all. Can't wait to get through them!

@Abby Yes have read the Phoenix Pack and the Mercury Pack series and I adore them both. I haven't checkout out the other..."

Yes please give an update on My Commander series. I was one of the people who tried the first two and just didn't get why everyone else loved them. Every time I try to re-read, I get angry at the characters, and stop again. Would love to get more opinions - it is me being a meany?

message 12: by Abby (new)

Abby Peralta (abbyperalta) | 15 comments BJ wrote: "Chioma wrote: "Thanks for all the great suggestions y'all. Can't wait to get through them!

@Abby Yes have read the Phoenix Pack and the Mercury Pack series and I adore them both. I haven't checkou..."

Not really. We all have our preferences after all...
Hmm, well Books 1-3 are.. how do I put this? It's where they're still putting things together? The characters are still being introduced, but the problems are starting to get heavy.
By Book 4, I think, is the turning point for the series. Something tragic will happen.. by then, I cannot not read the next book and the books after that.

kittykat AKA Jo Tortitude | 380 comments Chioma wrote: "... @kittykat I'll def look into Shelly Laurenston. I'm a bit of a cover snob but I'll make the exception for recommendations haha. I got the sample of the first book in the Pride Series and I'll start once I finish off some of the samples from the other recommendations. Thanks!

Also def not a minus that the smut decreases in the later books, that's what I loved about The Lords of the Underworld and Demonica series, the character development and the individual plots take precedence which I adore...."

I really hope you like what you try and if you do, well you are in for a ride!

Oh, the covers, big sigh. I DGAF about covers really, but the Honey Badgers ones give off totally the wrong vibe given that the romance and sex is probably third in line after the sister bond and the action/plot. But I don't think they are any worse than the vast majority of other romance books, and in fact think they are loads better than many.

Re the Jane Cousins Southern Sanctuary Series from #8, I hear it's an Aussie version of SL's books but less stabby... most of SL's ladies are just as bloodthirsty (if not more so for some of them!) as the men which is a big part of the humor. That's on my TBR for once the series is complete.

You really should try Wolfsong too though, it's so beautiful.